Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Road hazard damage to undercarriage

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 07:03 AM

Default Road hazard damage to undercarriage

Hey, guys!

I've got a 2008 xD, and tonight I couldn't avoid a road hazard on the freeway. It went right under my car, and I'm pretty sure it ripped off some kind of rigid plastic housing just behind the front undercarriage plastic cover.

There looks like traces of some fluid. As soon as I hit it, I got off the freeway and nursed the car home at residential street speeds. But at two stop signs, I smelled a burning fluid (smells vaguely like hot radiator antifreeze mixed w oil?), and it smoked for about maybe 10 seconds when I got home. No warning lights came on (temp, oil, etc.).

I went through the entire full repair manual, but I didn't see (or missed finding) a diagram that would tell me what I just destroyed.

Debating whether it will be possible to slowly drive the car 3 miles to my nearest auto shop.

Am I about to drive the car without something vital? Will check all fluid levels in the morning. Didn't see anything dripping when I looked underneath and watched for a while.

These are pics from the front, under the bumper. The black outline that is highlit by my light is what looks like the remainder of a plastic housing.

EDIT: Took another pic closer w more light. The black plastic flange on the right looks like it had something broken off it.

Last edited by dakaodo; 12-27-2016 at 07:20 AM.