Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

For those driving a manual xD.

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member

Default For those driving a manual xD.

There is something I've noticed with my xD that bothers me a little.
I drive a 5 speed and always have. I used to own an Integra and I never really noticed this. When I put my xD into REVERSE, there is a loud click; almost like it's having a hard time getting in reverse. It doesn't sound terrible but it's noticeable. In my Integra it was also louder to put your car in reverse but not as intense as the xD.
Does anyone else have a loud click while you are putting your xD in reverse?
I was going to swing it by the dealership since I only have 1500 miles on it but I'd like to know if you guys are experiencing the same thing.

By the way it shifts very smoothly and quietly into any other gear and my friend drives a manual SE-R specV and his is also quieter.

:/
Old 06-16-2008, 04:59 PM

mine has a hard time getting into reverse as well. Makes some noise. I just turn up my stereo.
Old 06-16-2008, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

same here. the manual says that if you sometime have a hard time putting the gear into reverse then let go of the clutch for a second and press it down again then try shifting to reverse.
Old 06-17-2008, 04:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well I'm in an auto xD and putting mine in to reverse is a bit odd. I come to a complete stop, shift in to drive from reverse and it takes a second or two for it to actually "catch". I have no noise but I've never experienced this oddity in my previous car.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^^same here chels. i did notice the delay. but thought it was just me always in a hurry.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive been able to calm that 'thud' it makes by doing what the manual says to let the clutch out momentarily before putting into reverse, but after letting the clutch out, put it up into 1st, then down into reverse. seems to work real well to line everything up so it drops in easier.
Old 06-18-2008, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

^ Same here. If I have trouble, shifting into 1st and then back seems to work real well.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Yang
same here. the manual says that if you sometime have a hard time putting the gear into reverse then let go of the clutch for a second and press it down again then try shifting to reverse.
you mean double clutch the gear.

anyway ive never had a car that doesnt make some kind of noise when shifting into rev. and the xd is by far not the worst when shifting into rev.
some times in the morning my car wont want to go into rev but i just run it into second then rev. no problem.
then noise is just caused by the gears sync ing up no big deal
Old 06-19-2008, 04:34 AM
5 Year Member

oh okay, well that's calming...I was just hoping I didn't have a lemon car or something
Old 06-19-2008, 05:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm with Pickle and Shea, except I usually go up to third and then back to reverse. I picked up that trick with an old Honda (1988 Accord; loved that car!), and have appreciated it at least occasionally on each car I've had since then (98 Camry, 03 Vibe).

Andy
Old 06-19-2008, 03:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I go into first, pull it out of 1st and double clutch before it goes into reverse. This is a pain in the butt when parallel parking though! Oh well, deal with it. The noise is UGLY, mine grinds a little if I don't do it like this. I went to the dealer, had my technician check it out then we went and checked out another stick that was on the lot. The one on the lot was worse than mine. I just live with it, 1st, neutral, double clutch, reverse.
Old 06-20-2008, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member

yeah, mine has seemed to have gotten a little better, but whatever.
Andyman: where'd you get those fogs? I really want some but I'm too lazy to make my own set.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by VB_xD
Andyman: where'd you get those fogs? I really want some but I'm too lazy to make my own set.
Well, you're not going to want to hear this, then - I pretty much made my own set. Check out
this thread for more detail and pictures of the whole process.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have other questions.
Andy
Old 06-24-2008, 04:53 PM

After reading this post I started paying attention to reverse on mine. Definately a little rough getting into reverse, but not a mechanical fault, just needs a double clutch and no worries
Old 06-26-2008, 03:30 PM
SL Member

I have been complaining about this since day one and everyone tells me that its suppose to do this...

BUT, now it grinds going into reverse, and 4th gear... and I noticed the other day its starting to grind 3rd... I have driven standard all my life and this is the first car that has done this to me... I think its funny that my 19 year old car doesnt have any tranny issues but my 2008 car does...
Old 06-26-2008, 03:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Daytona955i
After reading this post I started paying attention to reverse on mine. Definately a little rough getting into reverse, but not a mechanical fault, just needs a double clutch and no worries
your right not a mechanical fault but a design flaw.

I think its funny that my 19 year old car doesnt have any tranny issues but my 2008 car does...

and i totally agree with you. I have a 1970 ford bronco with a 3 on the tree that doesnt do this.... but then again i have a stage 2 clutch in the bronco
Old 06-26-2008, 11:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is there anything we, owners with those issues, can do with Scion Corp? It is pretty crappy that sticks do that and autos hang between reverse&drive. :?
Old 06-27-2008, 01:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

not really sure since its labeled as normal operation in the owners manual... but i guess if enough people start taking their car in and complaining, its possible a recall could happen. sometimes mine is bad enough though i have to let the car roll, retry, roll a little more, retry...
Old 06-27-2008, 07:18 PM
5 Year Member

My WRX is a bear to get into reverse, so I wouldn't worry to much about the characteristics of the Xd reverse gear.
Old 07-07-2008, 08:33 PM

Like some of the others, I have much worse experience with other cars as far as reverse goes. I have had beaten, stock and racing trannys in my GSX and none of them go into reverse well, especially cold. The xD goes into reverse like a dream in comparison, but something I have gotten used to is to put the clutch in, put it in first, then into reverse and it seems to all go well.

Quick Reply: For those driving a manual xD.