Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Owner's Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/)
-   -   Wanted Features For The 2009 XD (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/wanted-features-2009-xd-130144/)

j_miz_e 03-07-2008 03:42 PM

Wanted Features For The 2009 XD

zeta already has the armrest available and scion is having one come out within the next couple of months. the only thing i could think of would be a seat height adjuster. it would be nice to be able to lower the seat a little bit more cause the seat it a little high.

elwaylite 03-07-2008 04:09 PM

id like to see the overhead compartment be standard.

caroline 03-07-2008 08:23 PM

the only option I really would like to see scion add is heated seats...my boyfriend's toyota has em and its really nice.

SanchezHacker 03-07-2008 08:24 PM

I'd like to see Scion start including the in-cabin air filters with their cars instead of just leaving it out, it costs so little to make that I doubt it would be much of a loss for them. Also, I wish they would put some extra controls on the right side of the steering wheel, not sure what but something. And last, all scions need to come with a service/repair manual, that way we can mod our cars without having to worry about breaking anything.

Anyways, can't wait for the 09's to come out.

elwaylite 03-07-2008 08:32 PM

I agree about the steering wheel, id rather see the cruise controls on the wheel than that side thingy.

So the scion has a slot for an ac cabin filter but does not come with a filter to save cost?

UnTouChbLe_D 03-07-2008 08:37 PM

drivers seat, like the tC u can lower it or make it higher...

SanchezHacker 03-07-2008 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by elwaylite
So the scion has a slot for an ac cabin filter but does not come with a filter to save cost?

Yeah, Scion leaves out the air filter for whatever reason. It's $15 at autozone, so not sure why they wouldn't put one in there from the start.

elwaylite 03-07-2008 09:24 PM

strange.

vfrjim 03-07-2008 11:39 PM

fog lights & HIDS

ChelsDS 03-08-2008 01:32 AM

Standard features I would love to see either fogs or pre-wiring, armrest, the option to have the doors lock over a certain mph or when shifting gears, ashtray/trash bin, and.. something else I can't think of.

Originally Posted by caroline
the only option I really would like to see scion add is heated seats...my boyfriend's toyota has em and its really nice.

That would bump the xD out of the price range it's in. If you want heated seats get a different car.

- - -

As far as the filter goes you can buy a regular filter from Home Depot, just pick one that looks similar to the ones you buy from Toyota or Autozone/Pepboys and cut it to fit. I did that for.. maybe $8 and I get 3 out of one filter. That reminds me I need to change it lol.

JDMJim 03-08-2008 02:53 AM

the Cruise control is a Toyota marque. they patented that and that's how it will be. the cabin filter is weird not to have. no big deal, I just make my own. so rather than complain about it, do something about it. be creative. One xD I checked out had heated seats added. So it can be done. they were also leather. Look close enough on the dash panel to the right of the speedo and there is an icon for foglights. no doubt from the JDM Ist as it IS an option there. The seat is a strange height to. I'm gonna once again try to be creative and do the washer thingy like the guys did on the xB1 and add them under the front seat mounts. should do the trick. Otherwise, I like the car the way it is. TRD suspension and all.

gavmitchau 03-12-2008 11:38 AM

Outside Temperature display

simplyred 03-12-2008 01:29 PM

take the dip in the roof line and install a sunroof like the nissan maximas!!! that would be a perfect fit.

Phyre76 03-15-2008 04:08 AM

There is just so much to think about, at the same time keep the costs down. There is little much one can think of. Here is MY list.
Knee Airbag
Standard VSC & TRAC
Seat Adjuster
Engine Immobilizer
Rear Disc Brakes
Color changing Dash Gauge LED
Digital display
Standard Bluetooth
Center channel speaker, a lot cheaper than a sub.
a rear ported sub or speakers for the upper rear pillars
Floors like the FJ (I think this should be in all Scions)
HID projectors
Powder Coated Steel Mesh Grills (tC RS 1.0)
Tune the Engine to the same specks as the 09 Corolla!
-The 2009 corolla is a heavier car, has more power and better economy. The xD should have better EPA ratings. and the additional power will make it more appealing!
Corolla vs Scion xD
132HP vs 128HP @ 6000rpms
128lbs vs 125lbs/ft torque @ 4400rpm
2822# vs 2668# curb weight (automatic)
27/35/31 vs 26/32/29 EPA
Does this make any sense?
Keeping Corolla Specs should effectively increase the overall appeal of the xD.
ooh ooh and a hood scoop and change the hood. The hood makes it look too much like the Toyota. I like the tC and xB with the Logo in the front grill. So the grill will also have to be enlarged.

j_miz_e 04-20-2008 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by UnTouChbLe_D
drivers seat, like the tC u can lower it or make it higher...

yes....if you could lower the seat just a few inches that would make a world of difference. i think its within reason to ask for a seat height adjuster and an arm rest for the 09 model year. hopefully they will do that cause headroom is seriously lacking for taller people. other then that its a great car

8)

tmrepp 04-20-2008 04:09 PM

Arm rest, height-adjustable seat, factory fog light option (or at least the damn wiring), that's about all that should REALLY be available.

edit: forgot about the rear discs, I wish it came with the xD. It doesn't need them at all, but as far as servicing it and looks, I'd rather have 4 wheel disc brakes. Especially since I do all my own work for the most part.

Zefoxe 04-20-2008 05:35 PM

Fog Lights, Rear Disc Brakes, and Waterproof seats like the Honda Element. TRD Option LSD ( wtf does xB get one when its so heavy and a non racer type car whereas the xD is more agile and weighs less then a mini cooper? :\ ) Thats all I could really ask for from toyota, the rest would be aftermarket stuff

ChelsDS 04-20-2008 06:32 PM

Actually if you think about it, you'll probably have to wait for the 2010 model for anything major to be changed or to be added. :(

Garage1217 04-20-2008 08:19 PM

I just would like oe rear disk brakes. Drums are retarded to put on a 5 lug car with such a minimal price difference.

pickledchang 04-20-2008 09:46 PM

variable intermittent wipers , HIDS, fogs, rear discs.

tmrepp 04-21-2008 03:52 AM

Why on earth would they put HIDs on a 16k car? Makes ZERO sense. HIDs alone would probably push the price to at least 16.4-16.6...

ChelsDS 04-21-2008 05:21 AM

^ My thoughts exactly. If anything, I would love to have them offer an option for projector headlights + HIDs instead of slapping them on the car. Some of these things being requested will push the car way too high in price for the market they're trying to attract.

pickledchang 04-21-2008 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by tmrepp
Why on earth would they put HIDs on a 16k car? Makes ZERO sense. HIDs alone would probably push the price to at least 16.4-16.6...

why wouldn't they? and if it was an option that pushed up the price only $400?? i'd be sold! HIDS are lower maintenance, better visibility, and consume less power, on top of looking nicer. but then again, whats the point of this entire thread? adding anything on the car, standard or optional, is going to raise the price.

you dont think that the arm rest, height-adjustable seat, factory fog light option (or at least the damn wiring) you want isnt going to bump up the price? why on earth would a 16k car have a height-adjustable seat? makes ZERO sense.

Garage1217 04-21-2008 03:34 PM

More than that, the cost of building projectors + oem quality headlights would push the base price of the car above it's target market.

As a base model, the XD represents more value than any other car I can think of.

pickledchang 04-21-2008 04:22 PM

so i ask again, whats the point of this thread then if price is such a concern? isnt part of scions marketing campaign customization? if you want more stuff for the same price, youre going to have to give up something else.

the original topic was features people would like to see on the 2009 model. naturally, the price is going to go up if you want more standard features.

and said features would include available factory options, like an option for HIDs. HIDs have been available in the past on a 16k car, like the mazda3. its not an out-of-this-world concept.

and i think you are right, garage, the xD definitely provides more value than any other car I could find. even after adding some available options, its an awesome bang for your buck.

its still irritating as hell not having variable intermittent wipers...

Zefoxe 04-21-2008 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by pickledchang
so i ask again, whats the point of this thread then if price is such a concern? isnt part of scions marketing campaign customization? if you want more stuff for the same price, youre going to have to give up something else.

the original topic was features people would like to see on the 2009 model. naturally, the price is going to go up if you want more standard features.

and said features would include available factory options, like an option for HIDs. HIDs have been available in the past on a 16k car, like the mazda3. its not an out-of-this-world concept.

and i think you are right, garage, the xD definitely provides more value than any other car I could find. even after adding some available options, its an awesome bang for your buck.

HIDs would easily add 2g to the starting price, not 400 or 600. OEM HID quality is no where near comparison to ebay ones and Toyota would have to develop a different set of light assemblies to contain the HIDs and make it safe (No glare, etc). Also since HIDs are a hot item for thieves, expect a rise in insurance prices also. The Mazda3 only has HIDs on the GT model which starts at 20g, so thats no real comparison.
Wouldn't mind seeing it as an option but it would defeat the whole purpose of the pricing on the xD to be a stock item.

pickledchang 04-21-2008 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Zefoxe

HIDs would easily add 2g to the starting price, not 400 or 600. OEM HID quality is no where near comparison to ebay ones and Toyota would have to develop a different set of light assemblies to contain the HIDs and make it safe (No glare, etc). Also since HIDs are a hot item for thieves, expect a rise in insurance prices also. The Mazda3 only has HIDs on the GT model which starts at 20g, so thats no real comparison.
Wouldn't mind seeing it as an option but it would defeat the whole purpose of the pricing on the xD to be a stock item.

like i already said, HIDs have been available on past models, and for a whole lot less than $2000... mazda sold the 3 (5-door )with an msrp of $16895 in 2004. HIDs were an option on any of the models, not just the 'GT', which was model name for the wagon in canada at that time. the HIDs were part of a package that was $700, and included, again, were talking 2004 here, the non-standardized TPMS.

as stated, equipment code 1XT, "Xenon and TPMS Package for $700:

http://media.ford.com/pdf/Mazda/04Mazda3_pricing.pdf

and if you read into it further, the xenon package required the ABS package, but since ABS is standard already on the xD, you wouldnt have to shell out the extra $800 for that package.

and AGAIN, i would like to have had HIDs as an OPTION. that way, for everyone whos so fussy about the price, well god almighty, wouldnt HAVE to purchase it, and others can still have the option to customize.

tmrepp 04-21-2008 06:54 PM

Do you know by chance is the Mazda 3 GT and other Mazdas with projectors share the same housings, or across years? That is probably why it is offered. Technology sharing, less cost to offer it versus for just an xD

i would like to have had HIDs as an OPTION. that way, for everyone whos so fussy about the price, well god almighty, wouldnt HAVE to purchase it, and others can still have the option to customize.

That's fair.

kenlally 04-21-2008 07:02 PM

sunroof

Interesting, only a few mentions of a sun roof....

I would pay for that option.

j_miz_e 04-21-2008 08:51 PM

Re: sunroof

Originally Posted by kenlally

a sunroof would be a nice option, but would raise the price too high. same with the HID option. i do agree that the XD is a really good value, but i don't think its out of this world to ask for a seat height adjuster or armrest. that wouldnt raise the price much. the base yaris sedan comes with it so i would figure they wouldve put it in the XD. its still a great car regardless.

Zefoxe 04-21-2008 09:10 PM

like i already said, HIDs have been available on past models, and for a whole lot less than $2000... mazda sold the 3 (5-door )with an msrp of $16895 in 2004. HIDs were an option on any of the models, not just the 'GT', which was model name for the wagon in canada at that time. the HIDs were part of a package that was $700, and included, again, were talking 2004 here, the non-standardized TPMS.

and if you read into it further, the xenon package required the ABS package, but since ABS is standard already on the xD, you wouldnt have to shell out the extra $800 for that package.

and AGAIN, i would like to have had HIDs as an OPTION. that way, for everyone whos so fussy about the price, well god almighty, wouldnt HAVE to purchase it, and others can still have the option to customize.

2004 yes, new models only offer the HID system on the s GT model : http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ehicleCode=M3S
and its only standard on s GT models and not available as an option for the others.

Zefoxe 04-21-2008 09:12 PM

Re: sunroof

Originally Posted by j_miz_e

Originally Posted by kenlally

a sunroof would be a nice option, but would raise the price too high. same with the HID option. i do agree that the XD is a really good value, but i don't think its out of this world to ask for a seat height adjuster or armrest. that wouldnt raise the price much. the base yaris sedan comes with it so i would figure they wouldve put it in the XD. its still a great car regardless.

I'm guessing Toyota cut a few corners here and there to keep a good price and offer things like the side curtain airbags, power locks, abs etc stock and neglected the height adjustment / arm rest

pickledchang 04-22-2008 01:40 AM

2004 yes, new models only offer the HID system on the s GT model : http://www.mazdausa.com/MusaWeb/disp...ehicleCode=M3S
and its only standard on s GT models and not available as an option for the others.

yes, this is true for the '08s... but my whole point was that 2004 was the first model year of the 3, so obviously there was no 'technology sharing' to reduce the pricing. and i do not think the housings were the same as the regular halogens because the aiming of the HIDs could be electrically adjusted from inside the car, just like power mirrors... and yet Mazda, aka FORD, was able to offer these for $700. Im pretty sure toyota can do anything ford can, and then some.

Our dealer had an option to get a sunroof installed, but they wanted $1200 for the aftermarket installation. from what the dealer said (how much of this is true, i dunno) a sunroof would have had too much of an impact on the side curtain air bag assemblies, or something of the like, to make it profitable as a factory option.

and i think its been discussed before, but sometimes this car at 70mph feels like it could use another gear.

Zefoxe 04-22-2008 04:02 AM

but when you look at Fords profitability, you realize why they don't offer it anymore ; )

pickledchang 04-22-2008 06:27 PM

with toyotas profitability, and a car marketed toward customization, i wonder why they don't offer a similair option, even if it was slightly more expensive.

tmrepp 04-22-2008 06:40 PM

Go buy a Lexus IS250 and shut up already. Oh, you don't want to spend 40k? Well crap, don't expect the xD to come with HIDs. Now, if you want to get REALISTIC...how about some PROJECTOR headlights. That'd make it five times easier to retrofit some HIDs. Would that make you happy? Face it, if the tC doesn't have HIDs, the xD isn't going to have HIDs. Get real.

azepolyn 04-22-2008 11:15 PM

wow ... so back on topic ...
I'd like the variable speed wipers and adjustable seats, outside temp display like everyone else said ...

I'd also like to loose the swiss cheese grils and go back to the plastic honeycombs.

Possibly, factory option to color match the center waterfall. It's already BSP, why not offer the other colors as well?

I may be alone in this opinion, but I'd like one of those shark fin antennas instead of our stubby

Projecter headlights would be nice.

Maybe a stock alloy wheel or alloy option thats actually readily available, or even just put tC or Matrix wheels in the Scion offerings. As much as I love those TRD wheels in black, I cant fathom 2k for them

The digital hvac controls from the ist

center consol standard

All weather floor mats standard

a "premium" audio pacakge, likened to the tC's current audio packaging with the small hidewaway sub

FREE HAIL DAMAGE AND CURB RASH REPAIR FOR LIFE!!!!

j_miz_e 04-22-2008 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by azepolyn
wow ... so back on topic ...
I'd like the variable speed wipers and adjustable seats, outside temp display like everyone else said ...

I'd also like to loose the swiss cheese grils and go back to the plastic honeycombs.

Possibly, factory option to color match the center waterfall. It's already BSP, why not offer the other colors as well?

I may be alone in this opinion, but I'd like one of those shark fin antennas instead of our stubby

Projecter headlights would be nice.

Maybe a stock alloy wheel or alloy option thats actually readily available, or even just put tC or Matrix wheels in the Scion offerings. As much as I love those TRD wheels in black, I cant fathom 2k for them

The digital hvac controls from the ist

center consol standard

All weather floor mats standard

a "premium" audio pacakge, likened to the tC's current audio packaging with the small hidewaway sub

FREE HAIL DAMAGE AND CURB RASH REPAIR FOR LIFE!!!!

the variable wipers would be nice too. i never thought about the center water fall thingy. good idea lol, but i dont want to get too carried away. i would be content with the seat height and the armrest standard.

those digital hvac controls that the ist have are pretty cool. japan gets so many more cool features than we get, but that would make the price sky rocket if they brought it over here like that

JDMJim 04-23-2008 01:16 AM

transponder key would a sensible feature.

pickledchang 04-23-2008 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by tmrepp
Go buy a Lexus IS250 and shut up already. Oh, you don't want to spend 40k? Well crap, don't expect the xD to come with HIDs. Now, if you want to get REALISTIC...how about some PROJECTOR headlights. That'd make it five times easier to retrofit some HIDs. Would that make you happy? Face it, if the tC doesn't have HIDs, the xD isn't going to have HIDs. Get real.

amazing... simply amazing... here is some help with that 'option' word:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/option (see definition 3b)

though im not quite sure why they would put projectors on a 16k car, i also think the outside temperature display would be nice. and hopefully the rear XRS discs fit without too much trouble.

does the center console waterfall look like it would be difficult to take off? i havent looked at it yet, but it would probably be pretty easy to have it painted or do it yourself. it would look nice color matched to the car, at least for the darker colors. not sure about red or white though, id have to see it.

i also wish the base radio had the capability to display song/artist info broadcast from radio stations.