Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

Wind and road noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member

Default Wind and road noise

As every XD owner here knows, this car has a substantial amount of wind and road noise. When I drive on the highway it sounds as if I cracked my windows open even when they are closed. What have you done to your car to reduce interior noise pollution?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My xD hasn't arrived yet, but I can tell you after 6 years driving a VW Golf that it makes a difference whether I had the cargo cover installed or not. I'd take the cover out to put in taller items and I could hear a lot of road noise from the rear suspension. I know a lot of xD owners don't have the cargo cover because it is optional. I already bought the cargo cover from TRD Sparks [corrected my absent minded boo-boo] and I don't even have the car to put it in yet!
Old 12-03-2008, 04:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the xd needs dynamat, dynaliner on the whole interior to help the road noise problem. One day when i have the money and the time maybe.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:09 PM
Zed
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i don't mind any road/wind noise, i just turn up the stereo
Old 12-03-2008, 05:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
I already bought the cargo cover from TDI Sparks and I don't even have the car to put it in yet!
LOL you have too much VW in ya...
Old 12-03-2008, 06:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oops! The funny thing is I typed the same thing in once when going to their website... didn't work then, either.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:15 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wind noise? My xD has none. It's very quiet even up to 80...There is some roadnoise, but for the most part, mines quiet. I'd go get it checked.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have barely any road or wind noise when driving around at any speed with my music off or low.

Please remember its a $16k car, if you wanted absolute silence you should've gotten a Lexus or a higher end Toyota
Old 12-05-2008, 01:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SLODEANIS
Wind noise? My xD has none. It's very quiet even up to 80...There is some roadnoise, but for the most part, mines quiet. I'd go get it checked.
I'd go get your Hearing checked. J/K j/k
No seriously, maybe the thinner air up there in CO makes for less noise ?

All joking aside I'm shocked that you have a quiet enough cabin to even hint at NO road noise even at 80. uhn-uh just my opinion
Old 12-05-2008, 02:06 AM

mine has a decent amount of tire roar that drowns the wind noise.. i've added sound deadening to the front doors, gonna do the rear doors, and trunk soon. doing the floors would probably help a lot, but it looks really time consuming..
Old 12-09-2008, 01:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've noticed a lot of road noise, but it doesn't bother me. I don't notice wind too much unless it's a gust. I do notice, now that it's frigid outside, that there is a tremendous amount of cold air coming in through the door near my knee. Is anyone else's like that? I noticed it when I made a left hand turn, and my passenger noticed it more on right hand turns.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:20 AM
Zed
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I've only noticed air moving from the door handle, but that's only if the window isn't shut all the way.
Old 12-09-2008, 09:06 AM

I know a lot of xD owners don't have the cargo cover because it is optional. I already bought the cargo cover from TDI Sparks and I don't even have the car to put it in yet!

honolulu limo service
Old 12-18-2008, 01:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Odd... not the first time he's quoted me without responding in any way...
Old 12-18-2008, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Double layer of Dynamat on the roof, rear hatch and cargo area floor, triple layer in the doors and c=pillars...

Mine is near SILENT! I love it!! All I need to do is pull the seats out and Dynamat the floor...
Old 12-18-2008, 09:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Wow... I'd love to ride in your car! That's a lot of dynamat, too... how much did that set you back?
Old 12-20-2008, 01:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by DeathMachine
Double layer of Dynamat on the roof, rear hatch and cargo area floor, triple layer in the doors and c=pillars...

Mine is near SILENT! I love it!! All I need to do is pull the seats out and Dynamat the floor...
me thinks you lie?
no real basis to think that you just said something extreme like when someone tries to prove a point

dude, enough dynamat for 1 layer on 2 doors retails for $90 i've seen on sale for $70

fyi dynamat does nothing for wind noise, if you want to get rid of wind noise then wrap your car in a bubble because its not gonna happen. dynamat miiiight help road noise but i'm not sure, all dynamat does is dampen vibrations on solid materials, its not like wind noise is from your doors resonating or something
Old 01-01-2009, 12:45 AM

Regardless of the brand, the sound absorbing properties work BOTH ways! It will deaden ALL noise....AND make the stereo sound a LOT better!

I'll trade you the POS rear wiper and rear window defrost for some sound deadening.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by Technitarded
Originally Posted by DeathMachine

me thinks you lie?
no real basis to think that you just said something extreme like when someone tries to prove a point

dude, enough dynamat for 1 layer on 2 doors retails for $90 i've seen on sale for $70

fyi dynamat does nothing for wind noise, if you want to get rid of wind noise then wrap your car in a bubble because its not gonna happen. dynamat miiiight help road noise but i'm not sure, all dynamat does is dampen vibrations on solid materials, its not like wind noise is from your doors resonating or something
No lies here, Brosef! I work for BestBuy, so I get Dynamat Extreme for DIRT cheap! There's an almost 500% mark-up on some of it. And it does ALOT for wind noise, cause most of wind noise is caused by the wind vibrating the metal panels of the car. And yes, it works both ways... Inside the car with the windows up I meter 141.2 on a meter similar to the IASCA meter, outside its not SO noticable as most cars. But really, Dynamat does ALOT for road noise, and if you can afford it and can find it get some Dynapad and put it on the roof. A buddy of mine is sponsored by Dynamat and did Dynapad on the roof and doors and his Civic is like riding in a Benz.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
Wow... I'd love to ride in your car! That's a lot of dynamat, too... how much did that set you back?
Forgot to answer you! SOrry!! It only set me back about $250. I can't give an exact amount, cause I did it the second week I had the car... I just don't want to go thru all the trouble to pull out the seats!! I already broke the rear seatbelt holdy thingy when I took the headliner down, I don't wanna break too much else if I can help it!!

Quick Reply: Wind and road noise