Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

xD Cargo Cover...

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 07:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'd love to get a cargo cover too but man.. I'm NOT willing to shell out more than $100 for this accessory :? Then again I like being able to chuck empty water bottles in to the back
Old 07-01-2008, 05:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Psion
However,
I might consider their aftermarket armrest for $108 plus $19 shipping (I live close so maybe I can pick it up )

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-2...mZ200233698972

Anyone have experience with this armrest or dealing with these guys??!! thanks!
Run awwwaaaaayyyyyy!!!! It's cheap junk that doesn't fit in the xD. (But other than that, it's fine! ;) ) I actually bought one of those and returned it. Read all about it in this thread (scroll down a bit; report is on first page). If you happen to have any friends in Japan, see if they can go to a Toyota dealership and hook you up with a real Ist armrest - cost is only about US$100 over there, and it's only around $50-60 to ship it across the big pond. Well worth it, IMO.

Somewhere in between these two options lies the Zeta armrest - it's pushed pretty hard on this forum, so you shouldn't have any trouble finding info. The design isn't as sturdy as the IST model, and doesn't look as OEM (according to the pics I've seen), but the top is padded (Ist's isn't) and it seems to get positive reviews.

Good luck and HTH,
Andy

Edit - sorry to repeat some of Cobalt's info - didn't read carefully enough the first time through!
Old 08-12-2008, 03:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

question: is there any install required on this or does it just fit right in?
Old 08-12-2008, 04:24 PM

I had one of these things for my (now-deceased) honda civic hatchback.

These 'cargo covers' are essential if you store valuable items in your trunk. Basically, they prevent potential thieves from spying and snooping on the content of your trunk.

However.... for $200+ .... this is really a price gouging rip-off on Scion. shame on them. this came as standard feature (free) on my honda civic hatchback.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by sodo_moj0
there is nothing to install. this cargo cover simply 'snaps into place'. this is how all these cargo covers have operated in most other hatchbacks, including previous toyota and honda hatchbacks. the hatchback already comes with built-in recesses (snap-ins) that will latch onto these things.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by massadar
Originally Posted by sodo_moj0
there is nothing to install. this cargo cover simply 'snaps into place'. this is how all these cargo covers have operated in most other hatchbacks, including previous toyota and honda hatchbacks. the hatchback already comes with built-in recesses (snap-ins) that will latch onto these things.
Thanks for the reply...

Its $175, shipped, through scionpartspeople, so I think that's the way to go. I look at it as a trade-off with the xD to keep prices low. You get a lot standard features on the car that I would've had to pay for in an options package on another subcompact... cruise, ipod connector, etc. The only must-have add-ons for me are the armrest, floor mats and cargo cover. All told, I'll end up spending $500 to get the car to exactly where I want it.
Old 08-12-2008, 08:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still think paying over $150 for a cargo cover is too pricey for what it is. I would hope that the price will go down as months go by.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I paid that much (or more) for a cover for my Honda Element. It wasn't included in the price of the vehicle.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:27 PM

Why not just get a nice dark-colored blanket and cover stuff up in the back instead of spending over $100 on a cargo cover?
Old 09-15-2008, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

With all the bad talk about the price of this item, I just thought I'd add some perspective. I bought it and I love it. Yes, it was a little pricey, but in the long run, paying $170 for this item doesn't change the price on the car appreciably. Plus, like I said, I'd rather that Scion have standard features like mp3 plug-in and cruise control and skimp on some things that some buyers will not consider necessary than vice-versa.
Old 09-17-2008, 04:11 PM
SL Member

Well, I was planning to just cut a piece of plywood or OSB to fit the opening, and cover it with some black or gray auto carpet or the stuff they cover PA speakers with...probably could do that for less than $50... and it would be much sturdier than the flimsy thin plastic OEM cover...
Old 10-03-2009, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by TrebleStauter

I think it is essential if you plan on leaving things in the hatch very often.

Mine is almost not functional as far as movement goes since my rear speaker install in the c-pillar. I still like that it covers that area though.
How do I attach the strings to the top of the trunk? I tried pushing the plastic nail in with the string inside, but it doesn't hold.
Old 10-03-2009, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have one and it does its job, but the price is outragious. It shouldn't cost more than about $50.00. If I had it to do over again, I'd try to make it myself.
Old 10-03-2009, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by fyugioh
How do I attach the strings to the top of the trunk? I tried pushing the plastic nail in with the string inside, but it doesn't hold.
Once you take out the cap, you have to push the nail in extremely hard. If you look inside the hole, there is a smaller hole in there (I think). I had to use a hammer just to bang that plastic nail in.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:10 PM

I was eye'n this one if I did not get mine from friend who did not like it.
EBAY: $95.95 w/free shipping a $10-12 value http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Scion...Q5fAccessories