Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

xD Dead at Dealership

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2009, 12:13 AM
SL Member

Default xD Dead at Dealership

So I have had the xD for 11 months and 16,000 miles now and not on problem. Last Wednesday I am merging onto the highway waiting for a gap in traffic to pass some cars. I had the car in 2nd at 4500 for a little longer than a I wanted, and all of a sudden the car shuts down and the check engine light comes on. I could barely make it up this hill in any gear because the car cut power. I finally got off the highway and parked and looked under the hood. Everything look normal so I started it up again. Engine light out and ran fine.

Today I am driving around, and the same thing happens. This time I turn the car off and the engine light doesnt go out. I try this a couple time and wait longer, but it will idle like crap, not run, and finally stall out. There were some pretty funky sounds coming from the engine and/or exhaust and it smelled like sulfur really bad. It also sounded like there was a much louder than normal ticking sound from under the valve cover. I had to have it towed to the nearest Scion dealership. They were closed so I have no idea what the problem is.

The only thing I have done to this car is a cone filter on the intake that has been there 11 months, and I put in the NST pulley 5 days before my first problem. I really hope the pulley didnt do anything and I cant see how it did. After looking around on here I cant find anybody that has had this problem. There is no way this should be happening on a car that is less than a year old.
Old 05-18-2009, 12:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

did you check if you needed to switch the belts on the new pulleys?... im just throwing out ideas cause im not sure what it could be honestly.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmmm that sucks, keep us updated...
Old 05-18-2009, 02:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you dont need a new belt with the NST pulley, you only need to tighten the stock one futher because of the smaller diameter. it sounds to me like a timing or mixture problem, which could be caused by your intake. did you look to see if there is anything blocking the MAF sensor or has any of the piping come loose after the MAF? is the MAF plugged in tightly?

if the belt was too loose, its almost assured you would hear some squealing... you'd also have a dead battery pretty quickly, your A/C wouldnt work, and you'd overheat. not sure exactly how this car would react to such a situation though.

im pretty tired, so thats all i can think of right now.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:36 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Sounds like your engine's computer detected something funny about your xD and sent it into "safety mode". Honestly, it could have happened because you are using/have bad gas and it caused your engine to knock. When it corrects the knock by retarding the engine and that doesn't correct the problem it might go into safety mode.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:45 AM
SL Member

Ya its definetly in some kind of limp mode. I wish I had a code reader with me. I wanted to get to an autozone or something but the car wouldnt make it there. Could be the intake but its hard to believe since it has been there for so long. Also the belt doesnt squeak.

I read about bad gas, and I did fillup right before this happened. But it also happened last wednesday, and that was a diffeent tank of gas from a different station. Calling the dealer in a half hour.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Keep us updated.

Hope it isn't anything serious.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Old 05-18-2009, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by sv650m
I wish I had a code reader with me.
ScanGaugeII ftw. best $150 I ever put into the car. already used it on a couple of cars to get rid of their CEL.

Hope everything works out.
Old 05-18-2009, 02:38 PM
SL Member

I might have to invest in a scan gauge again. I had one for my FJ Cruiser that I traded in for the xD, but sold it.

The dealership just called me. They are still trying to figure out what is wrong with it but they are getting a misfire code and a cam sensor code. Do you guys see anyway that the pulley or cone filter could be connected to this?
Old 05-18-2009, 03:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

im sure they will try and blame it on the pulley.
Old 05-18-2009, 03:08 PM
SL Member

Ya I know they would try to blame it on the pulley. Im hoping they dont realize unless they go looking for it. You can tell the alternator tension is a lot tighter than it should be with a stock pulley pretty easily. And obviously the filter is easy to see.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Any chance the 'cone' filter is wet or something keeping it from getting a good intake of air?

Someone else metioned it but bad gas is not a bad thought either.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:24 PM
SL Member

It has rained a couple times lately but not right before or right at the time the problem happened. I dont have a cold air set up so it would be very hard to get the filter wet, escpecially that wet, but who knows.

Still waiting to for them to call back. Its been a couple hours now.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by sv650m
It has rained a couple times lately but not right before or right at the time the problem happened. I dont have a cold air set up so it would be very hard to get the filter wet, escpecially that wet, but who knows.

Still waiting to for them to call back. Its been a couple hours now.
Good luck, I hope it's nothing major.
Old 05-18-2009, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

probably could be the air filter or intake, your car could be in limp mode now... this is why it's so sluggish...
Old 05-18-2009, 06:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was reading around that a loose or horribly unbalanced underdrive pulley (not saying that the NST underdrive pulley is unbalanced, since many people love theres) can cause the harmonic balancer to throw off, and cause the ECU to throw misfire codes.

not sure how well it pertains to the toyota motor,

but food for thought anyway.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:11 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by xDTool
I was reading around that a loose or horribly unbalanced underdrive pulley (not saying that the NST underdrive pulley is unbalanced, since many people love theres) can cause the harmonic balancer to throw off, and cause the ECU to throw misfire codes.

not sure how well it pertains to the toyota motor,

but food for thought anyway.
I was thinking something along those lines too. Its too much of a coinsidense that it happened in the week after I put the pulley on. I wish I could have just checked that before they towed it. But I did look down there while it was running and the pulley looked fine, and made no noise. I would htink that the crankshaft sensor would have gone off too, but I really dont know about that kind of stuff.

The dealer called me about an hour ago to ask me what happened. It sounded like they were just starting to look at it.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea, I'm not sure. Misfires can be as simple as a new spark plug or coil. Can only hope that its something that simple though.

keep me updated, I'm interested in how this will result.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:57 PM
SL Member

Well not so simiple of a fix and completely my fault like I was worried about. They said the pulley was not tourqued down correctly and it wore away at the reluctor wheel that the computer picks up the crank signals from. So that needs to be replaced. They already spent 4 hours on and and he said another 10 hours at $90 plus parts and whatever else is wrong. And obviously this is not under warranty. Well this is what happens sometimes when you mod stuff and dont do it right. Wont have any money for any other mods for awhile at least.

Quick Reply: xD Dead at Dealership