Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Owner's Lounge (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/)
-   -   xD MPG under normal driving? (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-owners-lounge-1769/xd-mpg-under-normal-driving-134033/)

jdgriswald 04-16-2008 04:10 PM

Computer says around 37mpg. Real calculating about 34.5-35.

kdx80boy 04-18-2008 12:29 PM

Re: I'm crushed!!!

Originally Posted by JMS5000
Well, everyone, it looks like I won't be getting the xD after all. :cry: It's not on the approved list for the AirCheck Texas replacement cars. After a little research, I found that the approved cars have to have an emission standard of Tier II Bin 5 or better. The xD is a Tier II Bin 8. NOx emissins are .20% instead of .07% or something like that.

Some of my alternatives are there, though: tC, xB, Matrix and Corolla in their 1.8l versions, and the Fit (bleh).

To quote Marvin, "well, back to the old drawing board".

See y'all around.

Sorry to hear that, but the XB is really nice. I don't know if you've test driven it yet but it has so much room its amazing. The 4-door Yaris is nice as well, it has a lot of little storage compartments (even behind the steering wheel), and if you go for the "S" it has those nice ground effects. Let us know which vehicle you go with, I'm kinda curious.

JMS5000 04-18-2008 09:45 PM

Sorry to hear that, but the XB is really nice. I don't know if you've test driven it yet but it has so much room its amazing. The 4-door Yaris is nice as well, it has a lot of little storage compartments (even behind the steering wheel), and if you go for the "S" it has those nice ground effects. Let us know which vehicle you go with, I'm kinda curious.
Thanks for the kind words. We brought home last night:

https://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f.../Photo0092.jpg

Yeah, the xB Release Series 5.0 - Gold Rush Edition #1753! The mother in law wanted a 'family' car instead of a commuter car, so we're going to sacrifice a few MPG's and my stick shift. I think we made up for it in coolness, though. This thing's gonna turn a few heads in this small Texas town! (Still waiting on a spoiler, though. Dealer should have it by next week.)

dscott8 04-19-2008 01:25 PM

I've only had my xD for a week, but since I traded my 2002 Tacoma because of gas mileage (otherwise, I loved that truck) I have been watching the Average MPG display closely. If the trip computer is to be believed, I'm averaging about 32.3 MPG. My commute takes me through town (lights, stop & go) for 10 miles and then about 20 miles of 4 lane with the cruise locked on 70 MPH. I have seen the average go as high as 34.5 on a 60 mile freeway trip right after a fillup.

cmv138 05-13-2008 11:37 AM

whats the gas requirements for a XD? im looking into getting this as a second car.

crawlgsx 05-13-2008 04:47 PM

I drive 0 highway miles and get no lower than 37mpg. The last few tanks I have been averaging closer to 40/41 and I don't even drive the car lightly. (it is a 5-spd)

ChelsDS 05-13-2008 06:33 PM

Where do you live? Thats also another factor in the gas consumption. Out here in SoCal you hit so many red lights and traffic that it just ruins gas economy. I need to move somewhere with less people :P

crawlgsx 05-14-2008 07:32 PM

I live in Maine, lights aren't such an issue in my drive :). But it is all hills and turns. One of the nice things out here is the lower climate (well it actually sucks) but it is better for gas mileage (cooler air burns more efficiently).

tmrepp 05-14-2008 10:49 PM

Lower climate, or lower altitude? Chelsea I hear you on the statement about moving somewhere with less people. Constant stop-go around here. Go one light, hit 45mph then if you're lucky go through another light before the next turns red and back down to 0mph. Kills economy. I did did a highway trip May 4th and I got 36mpg. Lately I've been getting 26-28mpg which is practically 100% city driving.

pwg_860 05-15-2008 12:50 AM

If you don't have ethanol added to your fuel you will have better averges.

I lived in the midwest for a period and my milage went up 4-5 mpg

crawlgsx 05-15-2008 01:39 AM

Both make a difference, but I was talking about climate. No ethanol around me for the moment but gas stations are starting to switch, and unless they are going to pass on the savings they get, I won't be using it. I am all set with getting a lower gas mileage and eating away at my car to help Exxon make more money.

pwg_860 05-15-2008 11:24 PM

Well I just drove 3.5 hours to Portland Maine and I will be here for 6 days. I'm glad they have stations w/o ethanol. I did 75-80 all the way here and averaged 32.6 mpg

I have synthetic racing oil in my engine. I will run this tank down before I fill up with ethanol free, woo hoo!

I love Portland, it's a nice little city.

crawlgsx 05-16-2008 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by pwg_860
Well I just drove 3.5 hours to Portland Maine and I will be here for 6 days. I'm glad they have stations w/o ethanol. I did 75-80 all the way here and averaged 32.6 mpg

I have synthetic racing oil in my engine. I will run this tank down before I fill up with ethanol free, woo hoo!

I love Portland, it's a nice little city.

No kidding, I am in Portland all the time. I actually live almost an hour out of Portland. if you see a black xD be sure to wave!

32.6 seems low, was that on ethanol? Automatic? Well again I guess doing 80 requires being a little higher in the RPM range so that probably doesn't help :).

3.5hrs eh, you must be from NY/Vermont?

pwg_860 05-17-2008 12:40 AM

No kidding, I am in Portland all the time. I actually live almost an hour out of Portland. if you see a black xD be sure to wave!

32.6 seems low, was that on ethanol? Automatic? Well again I guess doing 80 requires being a little higher in the RPM range so that probably doesn't help .

3.5hrs eh, you must be from NY/Vermont?
I will. Mines Barcelona Red dropped with silver 18" Falken Hanabi's.

It is a five speed. I bet it'd be 34+ with pure gas in it. It will be interesting to fill

up on gas and see the milage when I go back next wed. I will post the difference

I'm from CT just outside Hrtfd. All our gas has ethanol. I'm looking forward to filling up on pure gas for once. lol.

[/quote]

bruna 05-17-2008 08:33 PM

How many miles should you put on the car before you start to calculate gas mileage? I have had some subpar mpgs, however my car has around 800 miles. Too early to be concerned?

pwg_860 05-18-2008 01:28 AM

I don't know.

Mine has 12,000 miles on it

How many miles should you put on the car before you start to calculate gas mileage? I have had some subpar mpgs, however my car has around 800 miles. Too early to be concerned?

tmrepp 05-18-2008 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by bruna

I'd say at the very least, your car should be pretty good as far as mileage goes by 1000, 500 and it'd still be getting better. Of course, by 5000 it should be getting optimum mileage.

nameless_ak 05-18-2008 05:34 AM

Originally Posted by crawlgsx
I live in Maine, lights aren't such an issue in my drive :). But it is all hills and turns. One of the nice things out here is the lower climate (well it actually sucks) but it is better for gas mileage (cooler air burns more efficiently).

Cool air does burn more efficiently but a warm engine burns WAY more efficient then a cold one, i get 4-5 mpg worse gas mileage during the really cold months 0 degrees F, once it warmed up to about 40 degrees F, my gas mileage started shooting up, my last 1000 miles i've got 33.3 mpg in my xB! yay. I guess it depends how cold and hot your talking about.

crawlgsx 05-20-2008 03:54 PM

I bought my car with 8 miles on it. The first 4 tanks I got 37-38. Since then I have gotten 38-41. I have over 6k on it now.

bruna 05-21-2008 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by bruna

Either there is a gas mileage conspiracy against me, or people are fudging their numbers. I just had to fill up today as the gas gauge was blinking. The computerized avg MPG was 28.9. I filled up the tank and it took 9.7 gallons, and the trip meter said 267.7 miles (roughly 50/50 city and highway, maybe a little more highway). Calculating those two means I got around 27.6 MPG. So for this tank I had roughly 28 MPG. I still have less than 1000 miles on the car, and the 18'' wheels hurt the fuel economy some, however this isn't close to all the 34-35 MPGs I have read on the forums.