2008-2010 [ZSP110]

xD Vandalism Magnet?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xD Vandalism Magnet?

Hi, I'm curious to know if having your xD parked outside or parked at malls, shopping centers etc... attracts unwanted vandalism and the like. Especially if you have a mod on it.

The reason I ask, is I have to park my car outside and am scared of people vandalizing it. I'm right near a high school and I drive to shopping malls where the area is quite urban and I have noticed cars vandalized in the mall parking lot (slashed tires, obscenities scratched into the paint etc...).

This is kinda crazy to have to worry about...I mean I live in a very well off neighborhood...just right near a high school : [

The xD I would buy is the special edition lava one with the DAMD body kit. I feel like scion haters would do something to it. Am I worrying too much you think? I'd like to hear if anyone has experienced this with theirs.

Thanks
Old 05-27-2008, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i dont think it would be anymore of a target than most other new cars. i can see why youd be worried about the high school part though... most high school kids these days need a good ___ whopping to straighten them out. do you have a garage you can park it in, or another car you can use to drive to these malls and such? if not, just avoid going to those places late at night, and try to park where lots of people pass by.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, with the tC's I have seen threads with more of the RS cars being keyed, vandalized and what not. Though I'm pretty sure its a pick of the cars to torture more than anything. However, that is a very bright color so you might attract more bad peoples than other colors.

Get tint, but just enough that you can still see in and I would suggest waiting on upgrading any of the internal electronics lol. Or move someplace safer for your xD.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

get a hoopty to drive to those areas and keep the xD at home Thats your best bet
Old 05-28-2008, 01:44 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

tC = Vandalism magnet!!!

xD- idk
Old 05-28-2008, 02:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just try hard to park close to entrances/exits at the mall so many people are walking by if you have to go there. Tints are a must as well.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

people vandalize lots of cars for lots of reasons, because they are shiny and new, or nicely modified, or because they are tree huggers and hate SUV's. whatever. if you live in a $h!tty area and worry about your cars wellbeing, just get a beater that runs well and not worry about it.

doesn't matter if it is a scion or a chevy, people will vandilize for many reasons, it isn't limited to "only japanese cars get vandalized" or something.
Old 05-28-2008, 04:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ah thank ya all for the responses.

I don't have a garage unfortunately. I do have another place I could park it when on vacation though, which is probably the best I could do.

I guess parking near the mall entrance is the best bet I got.

I'm curious, why do you suggest tint? Is it so people can't really see inside easily?

Thanks
Old 05-28-2008, 03:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the tint makes anyone looking into your car that much more obvious since they cant just walk by and see something from the corner of their eye. step two is to not make it look like anything worth much value is in there if they do get their face up to the glass.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Window tint isn't necessary, but it'll definitely help. Just take the extra 45 seconds to take your ipod, blue tooth, etc and throw it in the glove box. If you have a system, get the cargo cover (if you still have back seats of course to hide it from the front) and hang a jersey or something from your mirror of your favorite sports team, to cover the HU.
Old 05-28-2008, 05:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A buddies wife has had her RS4 xB vandalized a couple of times, kids throwing rocks at it in the parking lot. Some people are jealous of a new car no matter what it is and will run a key down it for no reason. When parking in a lot, don't take up two spaces, you're asking for someone to key your car then. I try to park away from beater cars and nearer to the nice ones, they are more apt to not door you when they get in or out of their cars.
Old 05-29-2008, 11:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

AND ALWAYS LOCK IT. NO MATTER WHERE YOU ARE.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

cool. thanks guys.

well...I guess my other topic wasn't needed.

I read some people saying having the "light blinking" from a security system makes people double think breaking in as well.

I was thinking of not buying scion security (or any security system for that matter), but that makes me think that it would be worth it for the little red blinking light lol. Thoughts?
Old 05-29-2008, 04:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed an aftermarket security system, in fact it's the RS-1000 by Autopage. There's only one thing I wish it had (alarm disarm INPUT not OUTPUT) so I could use my factory keyless to unlock it as well as disarm it, obviously losing any other features while using factory keyless though.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:44 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

No security system for me (yet), but I did bolt my speaker boxes / amp racks to the frame from inside the box. If someone wants it, they'd have to remove the speakers first.

Not sure what it is, but my xB has never been messed with or even revved on at a light. The box just seems to mellow people out for some reason, maybe because it just doesn't look fast.
Old 05-29-2008, 04:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vettereddie
doesn't look fast.
...or maybe because it isn't fast...and no one knows what the hell it is yet.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I always thought of tint as being opposite to what was said in this post. If you see a car with tint, you know they have a system in it. Maybe it depends on where you live. In Florida, everyone has tint so it doesn't stand out as much. But in Atlanta a car with tint I'd think would attract more people to it, just like wheels.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My car has no system in it, and has tint. I probably won't end up putting any subs in there, but if I do it'd be a small one that wouldn't take up space (spare tire, under seat, etc).
Old 05-30-2008, 02:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

the best security device ive seen has to be a not to friendly pitbull/rot/doberman sitting in it. lol
Old 05-30-2008, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by firstkingofbeer
the best security device ive seen has to be a not to friendly pitbull/rot/doberman sitting in it. lol
lol

I want a pug...but I don't think they would scare anyone : P

Quick Reply: xD Vandalism Magnet?