Notices
Scion xD Owner's Lounge
2008-2010 [ZSP110]

xD woes at only 7300 miles

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 04:36 AM

Default xD woes at only 7300 miles

Well i was driving home one day and my car turned off on me at random and would't start up. So I tow it to my nearest dealer (Desert Toyota in Tucson). Then they call me to say my lifters came off and that warrenty wouldnt cover it due to "overreving" in which i never did! Then we pay the damn fix and when i got it back going to work the check engine came on and i called and they said its ok come in tomorrow and we can clear it but yet to find when i drove home after work it died on me again. i tow it back up there and they said it isnt under warrenty cause i overreved it again! I am so frustrated and dont get it. brand new car and they wont cover over warrenty and i never overrevved the motor.
They trying to say i tampered the engine. they going lie after lie and corporate isn't helping us at all.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 11-01-2017 at 03:12 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 06:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sue them for what they are charging you in small claims court if no one higher up will help you.
Old 08-12-2012, 07:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Also try a different dealership
Old 08-12-2012, 01:31 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

CALL SCION CORPORATE!!!!
Old 08-12-2012, 01:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seems to me like he left out a few small important details!
like WHY he agreed to pay for repair in the first place......
Old 08-12-2012, 04:52 PM

corporate is calling back on monday but have a feeling they gonna go on the dealer side again... just gotta wait and see
Old 08-12-2012, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

if they went to dealer side. sue them. possible they have manufacture defect.
like what happen to my friend. he bought a brand new car and after 50miles i think.
car stop running for no reason no lights on. all maintenance is still update and recorded.
and find out that they have manufacture defect on engine. they sue the dealer for another brand new car with paying the left over amount on his defective car.
Old 08-12-2012, 08:02 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

That's BS. How would over reving a car (with a rev limiter) cause lifters to fall off? I would be contacting a lawyer as well. My xd hasn't fallen apart from "spirited" driving at the rev limiter, and it has 84k+ miles on it.
I would check on your lemon laws.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:00 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not sure about your problem, but i have never had any problems dealing with desert toyota. thats where i bought my used xa, and theyve taken care of everything i complained about. ive gotten them to perform free work, repainting parts for free, and other nice things that i didnt expect to get.
Old 08-18-2012, 12:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by awisher
That's BS. How would over reving a car (with a rev limiter) cause lifters to fall off? I would be contacting a lawyer as well. My xd hasn't fallen apart from "spirited" driving at the rev limiter, and it has 84k+ miles on it.
I would check on your lemon laws.
iF the car has a manual transmission, you can downshift and cause the engine to over-rev..
A rev limiter won't help in that situation.
Old 08-19-2012, 02:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Seems that this post is mostly science fiction.. how do lifters just "come off" on an OHC engine.. ? How does one just pay the bill for this on a new car ? Have it repaired and it happens again on the way home..?
Lifters, cam followers even push rods just don't fall off from over revving..
These engine can rev past the red line and beyond and still live to rev another day...
Me thinks I smell a troll...
Old 08-19-2012, 04:11 PM

well now they put a new car gear assembly on and thought that was the problem and it broke again at the dealer... 4th time it broke so its a lemon like we said it was so we are just waiting to see what happens.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

You mean cam gear? plus how does it go bad 4 times in a row!
Old 08-20-2012, 03:35 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikem53
iF the car has a manual transmission, you can downshift and cause the engine to over-rev..
A rev limiter won't help in that situation.
OK, I can see that. :-)
Although I have never tried on my xd, it seems like every manual trans I've owned strongly resisted going into low gears at high speed. I'm going to have to do some experimenting tomorrow. Lol at the very least, shifting like that should chew up your clutch pretty good.
Old 08-20-2012, 04:57 AM

yea cam gear... sorry about that. I don't know how its messed up that many times but obviously its a lemon. So we going to try to get that done.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by PRican
yea cam gear... sorry about that. I don't know how its messed up that many times but obviously its a lemon. So we going to try to get that done.
whats a lemon?? cause its not obvious to me!!!
Old 08-20-2012, 01:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by awisher
OK, I can see that. :-)
Although I have never tried on my xd, it seems like every manual trans I've owned strongly resisted going into low gears at high speed. I'm going to have to do some experimenting tomorrow. Lol at the very least, shifting like that should chew up your clutch pretty good.
Its a common mistake especially among less experienced drag racers.. dropping it into 2nd instead of 4th during a drag race can ruin your day for sure.. there is resistance as the syncros need to speed up to match the shaft speed during a downshift... but with some pressure, it will go in gear and when u let off the clutch... u can grenade your engine quite easily...
Old 08-27-2012, 05:45 PM

Originally Posted by ROCKLANDTOYOTA
whats a lemon?? cause its not obvious to me!!!
A 'Lemon' is a bum car that you recently purchased. Each state has their own legislation defining what is considered a 'lemon' and the respective time periods for which a consumer is protected against liability for the damage up to and including the entire vehicle itself. But like I said, every state is different.

http://www.azag.gov/consumer/cars.html
http://www.bbb.org/us/arizona-lemon-law/
Old 08-27-2012, 05:49 PM

BBB's summary: http://www.bbb.org/us/Storage/16/Doc...-LLsummary.pdf

I'm trying to find the actual law itself. Its always better to look at the law itself to make sure you're not missing anything and so you can interpret it, yourself.

I used to work for a State Agency (not in AZ), and I found it a lot easier to read the laws than you'd think. I'll keep looking and get back to this when I find it. The AZ gov site is not the easiest to navigate through (not on my lunch break anyway).
Old 08-27-2012, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by uragayfish23
A 'Lemon' is a bum car that you recently purchased. Each state has their own legislation defining what is considered a 'lemon' and the respective time periods for which a consumer is protected against liability for the damage up to and including the entire vehicle itself. But like I said, every state is different.

http://www.azag.gov/consumer/cars.html
http://www.bbb.org/us/arizona-lemon-law/
its obvious that you missed my sarcasm.....

Quick Reply: xD woes at only 7300 miles