Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Air Lift bags

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 03:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Air Lift bags

Not that many of you will be interested, I'm sure... but I ordered a set of Air Lift 1000 bags for the rear springs on my xD. They should be here on Monday, and I'll install them as soon as I get a chance. I installed them on my Golf, and the xD should be about the same.

Air Lift bags keep the rear suspension from sagging due to extra weight -- passengers, cargo, or (in my case) a heavy trailer tongue.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

interesting...do they affect ride height when unloaded with extra baggage?

i read an interesting discussion on the yaris forums, how one guy tested rear springs from a honda Fit, which subsequently have a higher spring rate than any of the yaris springs.

and since alot of members have claimed the yaris and xD springs to be the same, (not saying they aren't, dont get miffed.) then maybe thats an option as well?

cool find though on the bags, i'd definitely like to see pics before, during, and after install if possible
Old 10-13-2009, 03:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They do not affect ride height when they are deflated. They go inside the spring, and you need to maintain 5 PSI on them all the time, just to maintain their shape and make sure they don't get damaged. When you have a load in the back of the car, you inflate them to level the car. In my Golf, this often took only 10-15 PSI to bring the car level, depending on the load.

I know most of you guys/gals don't tow anything, but some of you might carry heavy loads on the back seat or trunk. If so, Air Lift bags are a good option.

As for the springs, the problem is that they would affect the ride and height all the time. There is no way to adjust them. Air Lift bags are infinitely adjustable by adding or removing air. This can be done at a gas station air pump, at home with an air compressor, ont he road with a 12v compressor (my personal favorite), with a bicycle pump, or avan with an optional on-board compressor.

If anyone is interested, they cost about $80 from online retailers. I got mine from AutoAnything.com. I had to take measurements and talk to the folks at AirLift to figure out what size bags the xD needed. I will post the part number once I am sure that they fit. I might be able to install them after work tonight. I will take pictures.
Old 10-13-2009, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Here is a pic of the same brand (Air Lift) bags installed on my Golf. They are the red things inside the springs. Sticking down from the bumper on the left, you can see the air valve for filling the bags. The hole was already there on the Golf, so I used it. you couldn't see it standing up unless you were really looking for it. I'll find a more hidden place on the xD... I have some locations in mind.

Old 10-13-2009, 04:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

very interesting... will be watching this cause i do have extra weight in the back and i don't like the way my nf is sagging in the back.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree, these are pretty cool. I don't tow anything, and don't really foresee towing anything any time soon, but now I at least know a product like this exists...thanks for the insight on it. I look forward to pics of it on the xD, what places did you have in mind for mounting them?
Old 10-14-2009, 02:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Awww... dang! They aren't the right size. I need to step down in width. I'm hoping the company will switch them out directly so I don't have to try to return them to the Auto Anything.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by TRDxD
what places did you have in mind for mounting them?
I was thinking of mounting the fill-port next to the gas cap. It looks like there's enough room to mount it there. For now, I'm going to mount it in a similar location to where it was on my Golf... there's a tab with a hole in it on the underside of the bumper cover. If all goes well with the new size bags, I'll consider moving the port to the area behind the fuel door.
Old 10-14-2009, 03:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

interesting, I'm having a hard time picturing how you'd fit it in there. take good pics during the install

good luck getting em switched out too, hope that works out.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

interesting, I'm having a hard time picturing how you'd fit it in there. take good pics during the install

good luck getting em switched out too, hope that works out.
I ordered the correcft size (I hope). I'm hoping they get here on Friday so I can install them over the weekend.

As far as installing the fill-port, it doesn't take up much space. It's basically a valve stem like on a tire, but just the threaded metal tube part. The back end has a small hose barb on it. Then there are a series of nuts and washers that hold it in place. Just drill a hole, poke it through, and tighten the nuts.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh i get it. dang i was imagining a compressor and everything lol. that makes a lot more sense
Old 10-18-2009, 02:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

interesting...do they affect ride height when unloaded with extra baggage?

i read an interesting discussion on the yaris forums, how one guy tested rear springs from a honda Fit, which subsequently have a higher spring rate than any of the yaris springs.

and since alot of members have claimed the yaris and xD springs to be the same, (not saying they aren't, dont get miffed.) then maybe thats an option as well?

cool find though on the bags, i'd definitely like to see pics before, during, and after install if possible
As far as the Yaris springs being the same as the xD it is true...I ordered my Tanabe DF210's from microimageonline for a 2007 Yaris for $179 shipped...Everywhere else I tried to order Tanabe DF 210's specifically for the xD they were all way over $200...

McBrew, interesting concept on these bags...
Old 10-18-2009, 05:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have the new ones come in yet?
Old 10-19-2009, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Have the new ones come in yet?
They're scheduled to arrive today.
Old 10-19-2009, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by mcbrew
They're scheduled to arrive today.
McBrew, when they come in, and if they fit, let me know what size you bought. I think these might work well for what I want to do until I can buy some coilovers...
Old 10-20-2009, 01:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

youre going to take out your springs and just rely on the bags aren't you.......so you can slam until you get proper coils

i know your plans...

jk lol
Old 10-21-2009, 09:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

uh, oh... don't take out the springs for these kind of air bags. They do make air bags for that type of application, but these ain't them. AirLift Company makes an air suspension setup for the tC, xA, and both generations of xB... but not for the xD (unless one of the other ones happens to fit it).

The AirLift1000 air bags have to sit inside of a coil spring.

I got the new bags installed and I'm on the fence about them. I had two option: 5.5" tall and 7" tall. I opted for the 5.5" tall ones and they fit just fine. When they are pumped up to the max (35 PSI), there is about a 3/4" lift and the rear suspension is just a bit tighter. It actually feels really good when you take off from a stop, because more torque is hitting the road (less torque wasted making the car squat). I'll have to play around with hooking up the trailer and see how it behaves with that sort of load before I really pass judgment on it. I'm wishing I had a set of the 7" tall air bags to try out on it.

I may order the 7" tall set and see which one is best, then return the other.
Old 10-21-2009, 09:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was actually just kidding but yeah for sure, I would never have trusted them alone, being merely an assistant haha, sounds good about the new bags though. Lets see some installed pics; before w/ luggage and non inflated, and after w/ luggage and inflated
Old 10-22-2009, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

McBrew, do you have a part number?
Old 10-29-2009, 07:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Or a link to the exact product would be great. So the bags sit inside the springs and when the springs compress to a certain point the bags begin to compress as well? Aside from ride height when loaded what are the other effects on your suspension? softer or harder ride? etc. Also pics would be appreciated

Quick Reply: Air Lift bags