Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

alignment issues with right rear tire

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 01:40 PM

Unhappy alignment issues with right rear tire

Just had new tires put on my xD at a local Sears. They checked alignment and informed me that right rear was out (this didn't surprise me as I had definitely noticed uneven wear on that tire). The problem is, they could find no way to adjust the rear. I contacted my local dealer and was informed that to adjust and rear alignment issues would require a shim kit, removal of hub, guess how many shims, put it back together, check alignment, and redo this process until it was correct. Estimate in the range of 250.00 plus. What in the world! This is just to have a tire aligned! Was Scion not using any thought in this process. Any other car, this is a simple issue, a quick alignment and you're done. Or have I been misinformed. I don't know whether to spend the money, or just count on replacing that tire. I hate to do that with a car that's only 2 years old, it just doesn't seem right. Any information would be appreciated.
Old 12-02-2009, 02:00 PM

Typically the way this is done ...
Start with an alignment ... find out shims are needed.
Note specs on screen, pick shims needed.
Shims typically come in 1/4 or 1/2 degree (or some increment) sizes.
A 1/2 degree shim may not give exactly 1/2 a degree, but it will be close.
Add up the shims needed, since you have wear it is likely out more than 1 degree, so thicker or multiple shims may be needed.
Install the shims.
Re-do alignment.
Repeat process again if it is still off a bit, if not you are done.

The dealer may legitimately need to do three alignment setups if the vehicle cannot stay on the rack. Plus labor and parts ... the price may be acceptable for the work.

Because of the nature of the suspension on this vehicle this is either a manufacturer's defect, or road damage. You insurance may cover it if your new vehicle warranty has expired. However, your deductible may make it useless to make a claim.

I would fork over the $250, but ask for a printout of the alignment so you can see it was done right. Post up numbers here if anything looks suspicious.
Old 12-02-2009, 06:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default 2

the xd is solid rear beam axle... it doesnt have any adjustment... so im guessing that its road damage or its defective you can probably just buy the shim kit and take it to another reputable alignment shop in your area and they can probably do it for you for close to like 60 bucks... http://shop.microimageonline.com/pro...7&categoryId=4 here is the link for the rear shims... : )
Old 01-27-2010, 09:09 PM
SL Member

I realize this is an old thread but wish to contribute in case others are having this issue. My 2008 RS 1.0 has terrible tire wear. By 16,000 miles I was in need of four tires. In December 2009 I had Toyota perform an alignment and they mentioned they could not align the rear but that it would not lead to tire wear. The front was pretty bad and appears to have been that way from the factory. Perhaps the lowering springs that are part of the RS 1 package contribute. The alignment has not solved the tire wear problem. I am calling the dealer tomorrow to see what they will do.

Darn. I really like this car, but can't replace tires every 12 - 15k.

Geo
Old 01-30-2010, 07:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i finally got alignment the other day. yes finally. after going thru my 3 sets of front tires in about a year and half. and even they said the back couldn't be adjusted. lol but my rear hasn't been changed since i got them 20K miles ago.