Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Another post about springs - with a twist...

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Another post about springs - with a twist...

i've searched. read, and studied.

The stock xD and Yaris seem to ride high like a SUV or an old school AMC Eagle. I'm going to lower the car and I am leaning toward the NF210 simply because folks say it preserves most of the comfortable feel.

I had looked at the TRD springs, but they don't seem to drop the car quite enough.

Has anyone with a DF210 posted that they are comfortable with the daily driving characteristics? Most folks seem to report the spring is a bit to harsh. Anyone care to disagree?

How about bumpstops? I just totaled a Miata. Coming from that culture - I have a couple of questions... The Miata was quite low to begin with. Any lowering made the likelihood of bottoming out on the factory bumpstops significantly higher. Without modification, a lowered spring could produce a jolting bottoming out of suspension if a pothole were encountered. There were / are companies which produce modified bumpstops which increase suspension travel and allow for deeper lowering without losing sprin / shock travel.

FATCAT motorsports was a Miata community standard - everyone dropping their car looked at these stops. They sell them for Yaris which makes me think they would work with the xD. What I am wondering however is - would they even be necessay considering how high a stock xD is anyway? A Tanabe NF drop is pretty mild.

Does anyone with a DF drop experience bottoming out on the suspension?

I'm thinking I would go with a DF drop if the FC bumps kept the car clear of full bottom during daily driving.

PLEASE let me know what you think.
Old 06-24-2008, 12:32 PM
Banned
SL Member

you also have the option of Progress.. i installed a set, and the owner (a girl, not that it should matter of course) loves them. it's her first lowered car, and she reports the ride quality is great, the drop is great, and the handling is much improved) only other suspension mods are Tamago rear hub spacers.

before:

and after:

to address the "bottoming out" question... if you're driving THAT hard on THAT BAD of a surface... even with an unlowered car, you risk suspension damage.
Old 06-24-2008, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tamago

to address the "bottoming out" question... if you're driving THAT hard on THAT BAD of a surface... even with an unlowered car, you risk suspension damage.
welcome to ny :D
Old 09-29-2008, 08:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

that red xd, is that lowered with df? or nf?

that look hot~ i can't decide between nf or df..............
Old 09-29-2008, 08:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

oh and another thing,,,,with df, if you got like 2 or 3 people in theback of the xd, does it rub at all with 16 steelies??
thanks !
Old 09-30-2008, 01:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the lowered picture looks like DFs to me, looks like it sits a litter lower than my NFs.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:07 AM

the springs on that red xD are progress springs actually for the yaris but can be used on the xD.

they give you a rear end drop that's just a bit less than the DF's but a front end drop that's a hair more than the DF's so the car sits a bit more even.

i like the look but i'm a bit wary of a 2" drop on just springs all the way around since some are already complaining of worn out struts after 30k miles when using DF's.

the springs i'm leaning toward are the sprints or the H&R set since i really like the rear drop of the NF210's but the front end leaves a little more to be desired.
Old 09-30-2008, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah, i hear ya on the front end not sitting low enough.
Old 09-30-2008, 07:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

need the front end higher for hard braking and to help prevent the tranny and engine slamming into the ground when bottoming out
Old 01-09-2009, 10:59 PM
Banned
SL Member

lol sorry i walked away from this thread.. it's lowered on Progress springs for a toyota yaris
Old 01-10-2009, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no, if you have a ful ride theres no rubbing on DFs.....when it comes to lowering a car on JUST springs, theres no need to worry about rubbing. ever. i never cut my bumpstops, nor modified them. im riding full stock on DF's, and my quality is great. i love how the ride feels, of course when you lower you car youre bound to feel a harsher ride, but that comes with the territory. for a spring, they feel great, even with the 2" drop. it looks great, and it handles great as well. im currently saving up for some tokicos so as not to utterly destroy my stockers. anywho. if youre looking to buy DF's send me a PM. i can get you discounts, and i might be able to beat any quoted price you have (if its already cheaper than MSRP then its not a problem). let me know! congrats on the xD. oh and i bottomd out on a pothole recently. TERRIBLE sounds, but everythings okay. (this is with unaltered bump stops) nothing to worry about!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:13 AM
SL Member

Default DF's

How much do they drop it by, how many inches, and how much are you asking for a set?
Old 01-14-2009, 08:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

1.9" front, 2.0" in the rear. asking about 175-180 not including shipping. if youre interseted in DF's PM me and ill give you an official price.
Old 01-18-2009, 04:56 AM

When did riding on cheap stock steel wheels become popular? I never understood this fad. They look awful and have a negative performance benefit.

Originally Posted by Tamago
you also have the option of Progress.. i installed a set, and the owner (a girl, not that it should matter of course) loves them. it's her first lowered car, and she reports the ride quality is great, the drop is great, and the handling is much improved) only other suspension mods are Tamago rear hub spacers.

before:

and after:

Old 01-18-2009, 05:21 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC

SL Member

Originally Posted by RAGE
When did riding on cheap stock steel wheels become popular? I never understood this fad. They look awful and have a negative performance benefit.

You are a tard. Maybe he just got the car. Maybe he hasn't gotten wheels yet. Maybe those pics were taken during the install, where the wheels covers were removed to allow the wheels to come off. Maybe you really are, just that stupid.
Old 01-18-2009, 05:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

how do you have a negative performance benefit? If the car came with them, how can they be NEGATIVE for performance. to be negative on performance, wouldn't you have to try to use rocks as wheels? WTF?
Old 01-18-2009, 06:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

LOL negative performance benefit....that sounds like some honda talk to me...
Old 01-19-2009, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Just add 18s! Those are a DEFINITE performance upgrade!

Better yet go with 20s!
Old 01-19-2009, 07:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

OH MAH GAWDDZ AND DA RUBBA BAND TIRES ON DEM RIUMS!?!
Old 01-22-2009, 04:27 AM
Banned
SL Member

better to save up for some perfect-fit wheels than rush out and buy rotas lol

Quick Reply: Another post about springs - with a twist...