Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

to cut or not to cut?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default to cut or not to cut?

just boughtsome tanabe df210's from WeSellCarParts.com for 168.00 the question is, do i cut the bump stops? the opinions seem divided on this. i dont have alot of pot holes in the area, so i dont think ill be bottoming out the supension. i dont want to ruin perfectly good components if theres no need to. im hoping the instructions that should come with the springs will clarify on this, since a company like tanabe probably did plenty of testing on each model before releasing the product. the TRD springs dont say anything indicating cutting is necesary, but then again, TRD is a 1 inch drop (nominal) where as tanabe is a 2 inch drop (nominal). on a side note, gonna be throwing on some 18"s at the same time, hope there isnt gonna be a problem with rubbing. so whats the proffesional verdict?
Old 07-14-2008, 10:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well i have tein h-techs which is a 1.9 drop in the front and 1.5 in the back. the instructions that came with those said to cut the bump stops. i have 18's right now and i rub when i turn aggressively. i would say thats a pretty similar setup to what ur going to have, but i would suggest checking the directions that come with the springs.
Old 07-15-2008, 02:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

df210's recommend cutting the bump stops. They give a picture on the directions to show where to cut.
I cut mine, it's a pretty aggressive drop so I would do it just to be safe.
Old 07-16-2008, 12:48 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: to cut or not to cut?

I'm waiting for FatCat to finish their work on ScionMag's xD. I have the df210s but I am waiting because there IS a difference between cut and custom. Cutting your stops is a ghetto solution.

Originally Posted by cobaltbravo
just boughtsome tanabe df210's from WeSellCarParts.com for 168.00 the question is, do i cut the bump stops? the opinions seem divided on this. i dont have alot of pot holes in the area, so i dont think ill be bottoming out the supension. i dont want to ruin perfectly good components if theres no need to. im hoping the instructions that should come with the springs will clarify on this, since a company like tanabe probably did plenty of testing on each model before releasing the product. the TRD springs dont say anything indicating cutting is necesary, but then again, TRD is a 1 inch drop (nominal) where as tanabe is a 2 inch drop (nominal). on a side note, gonna be throwing on some 18"s at the same time, hope there isnt gonna be a problem with rubbing. so whats the proffesional verdict?
Old 07-17-2008, 04:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i have the df210's and didnt cut the anything. i have been fine so far and have had em for about 3 months. and about that side note, there will be no rubbing. i have 18x8in rims with my drop and there is no rubbing at all.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

did the install about a week ago. tanabe's instructions said to cut 15-25 milimeters off the bump stops. the how-to on the yaris/df210 showed cutting off the stop above the plastic ring. thats a little over two inches. best i can tell, you cut off the same amount you drop to aviod premature wear on the shocks. the xd's sittin pretty and handles fine, just waiting to get 4th rim back from ebay seller, ups damaged it in transit. when i get the 18's on her ill take pics and post
Old 07-26-2008, 03:12 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Cutting just seems wrong..

I'm holding off until Fatcat motorsports comes out with a recommendation. Cutting is a quick, shot-term fix.

I have the TRD Sportivo shocks / Tanabe DF springs but I am waiting for FCMs recommendation on xD bumpstops before I do the install - I want this done right.

Originally Posted by cobaltbravo
did the install about a week ago. tanabe's instructions said to cut 15-25 milimeters off the bump stops. the how-to on the yaris/df210 showed cutting off the stop above the plastic ring. thats a little over two inches. best i can tell, you cut off the same amount you drop to aviod premature wear on the shocks. the xd's sittin pretty and handles fine, just waiting to get 4th rim back from ebay seller, ups damaged it in transit. when i get the 18's on her ill take pics and post