Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Front sway bar mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 12:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Front sway bar mod

I am in the works of making the front sway bar stiffer. After my first autox event with the xD this last Sunday I felt that there was some improvements to be made. I am going to be using Energy Suspension bushings and something a little different for the end links. Once I get things figured out il post up part numbers and a how to if needed.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Do you mean the front strut bar? Or the actual front sway bar that is under the car?
Old 05-06-2008, 05:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
Do you mean the front strut bar? Or the actual front sway bar that is under the car?
Im talking about the actual front sway bar that is already on the car. I did the polyurithane bushings on my xB and it had a great feeling to it. Even though the sway bar on the xD is going to be a bit of a chore to work on but il get it worked out some how. Im already running into an issue with the bushing size.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Let us know what you discover. I checked out that bugger when doing my exhaust and it looked really difficult to deal with! Appears like you might have to drop the engine cradle for some mods.
Old 05-06-2008, 10:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ok so big issue. Im pretty sure that its going to be a very very hard task to replace the bushings. For one a universal kit wont work because the stock bushings are a different shape completly. So far it would have to be a custom job to get polyurethane around the bar unless a kit comes out from some company. And second thing is that it will be a pain to even get the bushings off. I got some directions from TRD Sparks about the replacement and its 4 pages of crazyness. the only thing I can say that will help is the sway bar end links. This may be a little odd but it works. The stock sway bar links are .391" thick. Now I work at a Pontiac dealership. We have the Pontiac Montana SV6 that came out in 05. I got curious one day and grabbed the sway bar link for that van off the shelf to compare it to the one on my xD. They are exactly the same length and thicker than the xD links. So in turn they should give at least a little bit better handling. The links for the van are .433" thick. I am going to be slapping these on my xD once the nuts show up for the links. If anyone is interested in replacing thoes links here is the part number:
GM part number - 15851956 - Link. (2 Links are needed)
GM part number - 11516781 - Nuts. (4 nuts are needed)
Old 05-07-2008, 11:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

The links went on with no problem. After I put them on I got curious to see if I could make my own under body brace. I had a old part laying around so I modified it a bit and braced a part where I could fit it. I dont know if it did any good or not but I am still tempted to try and fabricate a brace for the front end.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

u ever take any pics of the links you put on?
Old 02-27-2009, 05:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Bender_xD
u ever take any pics of the links you put on?
No but I can the next time I put my car on the hoist. I have to do an oil change soon anyway. They look almost exactly the same as the stock ones but black.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

changing the length of the end links would change the property of the sway bar.a longer link would push the ends down further meaning stiffening the roll. I too don't like the lack of turn-in the car has. maybe adjustable damping shocks would help a lot with a rear bar too. I even tried bumper rear tire pressure and that didn't do much more than make the car slide around on bumpy roads
Old 08-17-2010, 05:39 AM

I know this is an old thread, but when I use to autocross Hondas we use to add toe out both front and rear to get the car to rotate quicker. More to out rear than front to offset nose heavy front wheel drive and to induce a little lift throttle oversteer. Car is slightly squirrelly at high speed, but allowed for fast cuts in Slalom and switches.