Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Help! lowering the car questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 02:07 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Help! lowering the car questions

So I'm going to drop it 1.5in with springs cause its affordable that way, should I get shocks or camber kits? or is it necessary to get both?(I dont know much about this at all which is why im asking)

I was at a car shop, and they told the IBOX springs that comes with only the FRONT camber kits, but don't we need front and rear?? is there a reason why there is only front ones?

If you guys have any suggestions on what I should do or what I should get, let me know, it would be a big help. Thanks
Old 05-26-2010, 03:39 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you only need a camber kit if your going to get big rims.
if not its totally fine.

btw, imdropped on teins with a 2inch drop
Old 05-26-2010, 04:30 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think they make have been talking about eibatch(I can't spell it either) springs, which are supposed to be pretty nice. As far as camber, I have tanabe DF's, lowest springs for xd's as far as I know; and I just got new tires, my rear tires had some serious camber wear. You may want to look into shims, especially for the rear. I think the fronts wear better due to them being your steering tires, I think it helps them wear more evenly. Just my opinion.
Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 05-26-2010, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

So I'll get springs, and apparently I do need both rear and front cambers.
with that said, I wont need shocks. yea?
Old 05-27-2010, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If the car is pretty new, you don't need to replace the shocks. You can, but its optional. If you're looking to replace the springs for performance, you may wanna look at coilovers.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk
Old 05-27-2010, 02:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I have a buddy that drives a tC, and hes just running on springs and rear camber kit, and hes telling me to do the same. the car is relatively new, so I'm guessing that no shocks will be okay, I just don't know how different the xD and the tC drives, because if its a big difference, I should just get both front and rear camber
Old 05-27-2010, 06:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

what are you using camber kits for? look? fitting agressively sized wheels? i wouldnt bother with them unless youre trying to fit something that wouldnt normally fit. you'll be able to fit most wheels with proper offset and size without any modification. a 1.5 drop is pretty conservative , considering i have about a 3.5" drop in the front and a 2.5" in the back
Old 05-27-2010, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

xDTool, so I only need springs? no shocks or camber? what about wearing down the factory shocks? I looked on your car specs and your just running on springs, at least that is what it says, how is that working for you?
Old 05-27-2010, 06:31 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

You don't need camber for a 1.5" drop. Springs alone will be fine. You can keep the factory shocks too.
Old 05-27-2010, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Scion xDanno
xDTool, so I only need springs? no shocks or camber? what about wearing down the factory shocks? I looked on your car specs and your just running on springs, at least that is what it says, how is that working for you?

I'm on coilovers now, K-sport, but i ran stock shocks on my TRD springs and DF210 springs for 20,000 miles combined, with 0 problems, you will not need shocks on a 1.5" drop, you still have plenty of travel to prevent excessive premature wear.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

mmm k sport coilovers. i was looking at those. how are they?

plus did you get yourself an alignment plan? i heard everytime you adjust them, that you need to re-align the car.
Old 05-27-2010, 07:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JJGeneral1
mmm k sport coilovers. i was looking at those. how are they?

plus did you get yourself an alignment plan? i heard everytime you adjust them, that you need to re-align the car.
they're great so far, about 10k miles on them. i had a little creaking when i turn, just had to grease the ends of the springs so they could turn under load and no problems since then.

and no, no alignment plan, i adjusted them 3 times so far to find the ride height i liked the most (well i like it the 2nd most, but the other adjustment i had was far too low for practical daily driving, ask anyone that saw it at Scion de Gras) and then got the final adjustment aligned, i dont adjust the height regularly or anything, then fine tuned the stiffness after.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

see i was thinking riding lower in the summer, and higher in the winter, at least around western PA here. sounds like a good investment. i'm def. looking into them then.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im looking at eibach springs. 1.7 drop. no need for shocks or camber yea? thanks guys. this definitely helped a lot. like a freaking lot lol
Old 05-27-2010, 08:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

no problem buddy, just remember it also depends on your wheels, as far as th eneed for camber and/or fender work goes

so if you plan to do wheels, do some research, dig through the forums some or even start a thread and ask some opinions. theres a thread in here somewhere that has a ton of info contributed between me, yellowsub and katchkillah that will give you a general idea of how aggressive you can fit without rolling/pulling fenders

but for conservative wheel choices and stock wheels, you wont have any issues with just springs and no other components
Old 05-29-2010, 07:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

Pretty much what everyone else has said...Drop the car with springs, does not matter which brand just pick one that has the amount of drop you want...You do not need new shocks/struts when adding springs...Wait till they go bad which is when? Nobody really knows...My old xB I ran a 2" drop on stock shock for 65,000 miles and never replaced a thing...

When it comes time to shop for rims and tires, ask me or anyone else who has done their homework...I'm always willing to answer any questions...Good luck and lower that thing already...
Old 06-23-2010, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

heres my question, how do you think a set of 17x7 would look under a 2 inch drop, do you forsee any problems with a set up like that? im not wanting to go to big or wide, even though it looks great. Just trying to fit a set of rims/tires that is comfortable for the car and still hase a good look. any suggestions?
Old 06-26-2010, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

before

after drop with dfs

Old 06-26-2010, 09:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Wagonistas
SL Member

SOOOO much better....looks great...