Scionlife.com

Scionlife.com (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/)
-   Scion xD Suspension & Handling (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-suspension-handling-1801/)
-   -   Looking for better handling for a DD (https://www.scionlife.com/forums/scion-xd-suspension-handling-1801/looking-better-handling-dd-202515/)

xDTool 05-02-2011 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by Nateson (Post 3832372)
Nothing but changing your springs will change spring rate. You need to reflect on what you are saying.
http://www.tuninglinx.com/html/spring-rate.html

Please read your own link:

"Spring Rate is the amount of weight needed to compress a spring a certain amount"

now pair that with the way a sway bar works. by helping reduce weight transfer from the inside corner of a turning vehicle to the outside corner, you're lowering suspension load on that corner, incurring less spring travel, requiring more weight to compress the spring, increasing the effective spring rate on whichever side is compressing more/taking more load

That is how i've always understood sway bars and i'm fairly certain thats the reality of things. feel free to bash me all you want.

Originally Posted by Nateson (Post 3832372)
As for the bar I have, it works in works with or without the sway bar. It actually bolts up on the opposite side of the shock from the sway bar. I have both installed TRD (19mm) and the rear lower shock bar. I wish I had bought the 23mm sway, but can't justify selling and repurchasing a sway bar. Anyway they call it a Torsion beam because it is designed to contort. If you don't know something please ask questions, and don't post your baseless assumptions. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torsion_beam_suspension
I'm not trying to be mean, but your pretty stubborn.

my baseless assumptions on what? its whatever , you keep repping what is basically a sleeve for the torsion beam (btw i know why they call them torsion beams, but thanks for the 101 anyway :) that i've never seen on any other torsion beam suspension ever other than yaris's.

Like most chassis stiffening components, i cannot see more than minimal/unnoticeable differences while daily driving and "taking the off ramps a little quicker"

good day to you too

Nateson 05-02-2011 09:16 PM

It sounds like we're on the same page now! Nothing is going to change your spring rate without changing springs . The compression rate of the spring is static (unless it's a progressive rate spring). The sway bar and lower shock bar do much of the same thing which is to stiffen up the torsion beam and helps keep the car flat. (which is what your saying about the sway bar)

I'm not trying to bash you, but I am trying to defend my statements. When I say baseless, I mean you have not tried this product, and are not giving it a fair chance. Instead you're dumping on it without provocation.

andrewjc 05-02-2011 10:09 PM

I appreciate the healthy exchange of ideas I’m just trying to make sure I spend my money wisely. I put the question of 2010 springs vs. 2011 springs to TRD Sparks so I’ll see what they have to say. If I do go with Tanabe NF210 I’ll most likely pick them up from MicroImage.

ThisorThatxD 05-03-2011 12:24 AM

feel free to continue guys, ive been following this all day. ;P

xD_kidd91 05-03-2011 12:46 AM

same here. I had to get another batch of popcorn haha

Nateson 05-03-2011 01:52 AM

It has been slow.

xDTool 05-03-2011 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by Nateson (Post 3832451)
It sounds like we're on the same page now! Nothing is going to change your spring rate without changing springs . The compression rate of the spring is static (unless it's a progressive rate spring). The sway bar and lower shock bar do much of the same thing which is to stiffen up the torsion beam and helps keep the car flat. (which is what your saying about the sway bar)

I'm not trying to bash you, but I am trying to defend my statements. When I say baseless, I mean you have not tried this product, and are not giving it a fair chance. Instead you're dumping on it without provocation.

my last post was describing how swaybar's, indeed, do increase your EFFECTIVE spring rate. you shoudl read that post again.

Now on the note of the shock brace and the sway bar. it may be different on torsion beam suspensions (im not that versed on them), but im pretty sure it isnt. the swaybar isnt meant to actually stiffen your suspension at all (its actually a torsion bar in itself), its a means to linking the two sides together (at least in most suspension setups). when load is applied to one side, the torsion applied to the sway bar in turn places load on the inside corner, decreasing body roll (i've only said this in every post ive posted in this thread). I really dont know how your brace has effect on the suspension, could be an improvement, it coudl be detrimental, i really dont know. what i do know is that every chassis stiffening component i've ever used has done almost nothing for low to moderate speed cornering... the stuff you do at a human level in every day driving /traffic. but then again im not trying to set world record times in a yaris or xD on the track.

It's cool though, you're obviously as stubborn as i am. I hope you enjoy your rear chassis strut stiffening bar brace thingie. You still cant sell me on it, and i'd rather just go with the parts that have been proven time and time again on multiple platforms, not just a part that i've never seen made other than for the yaris.:icon_dj:

Nateson 05-03-2011 07:06 AM

Relax man, I'm done. I've set my case. I ain't making a commission, so if you don't want one, it doesn't bother me. If you lived closer I would let you drive my car so you could have some input on the setup. If you ever meat me I'm a nice guy, and if you come through Chattanooga look me up. You could check it out then.

xDTool 05-03-2011 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nateson (Post 3832710)
Relax man, I'm done. I've set my case. I ain't making a commission, so if you don't want one, it doesn't bother me. If you lived closer I would let you drive my car so you could have some input on the setup. If you ever meat me I'm a nice guy, and if you come through Chattanooga look me up. You could check it out then.

Its cool man, I'm really the same way. My defensive nature on parts like those is not because of you in any way. Its mostly from the people that purposefully misrepresent products as the best next thing in suspension aftermarket to people that dont fully understand, or are newbies to cars. I've put a lot of chassis brace type parts on different cars of friends and etc and a lot of people get dissapointed when they dont see the results they are lookin for, even from those that autocross and track fairly heavily.

same with you if you're ever down in louisiana, hit me up... i'll show you how bad xd's handle and ruin fenders when you're dropped 4" :P

BLAZINBLUEVITZ 05-03-2011 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by xDTool (Post 3832672)
, .

It's cool though, you're obviously as stubborn as i am. I hope you enjoy your rear chassis strut stiffening bar brace thingie. You still cant sell me on it, and i'd rather just go with the parts that have been proven time and time again on multiple platforms, not just a part that i've never seen made other than for the yaris.:icon_dj:

www.gtspec.com
www.http://www.ultraracing.com.my/catalog.asp

xDTool 05-03-2011 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZINBLUEVITZ (Post 3832833)
www.gtspec.com
http://www.ultraracing.com.my/catalog.asp

these are just 2 of the many different sites that have product for multiple platforms as you put it.....

since you want to take it there,

just browsed the gtspec site, the ultraracing one doesnt work for me.

dont see any "lower rear strut braces" for any platforms... care to point me in the right direction?

edit: ultra racing link was bad, fixed it for ya, dont see a "lower rear strut brace" there either

BLAZINBLUEVITZ 05-03-2011 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by xDTool (Post 3832837)
since you want to take it there,

just browsed the gtspec site, the ultraracing one doesnt work for me.

dont see any "lower rear strut braces" for any platforms... care to point me in the right direction?

edit: ultra racing link was bad, fixed it for ya, dont see a "lower rear strut brace" there either

here you go:

try using lower rear brace instead of STRUT brace

xDTool 05-03-2011 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZINBLUEVITZ (Post 3832848)
here you go:

try using lower rear brace instead of STRUT brace

i found plenty of those, but they all connect on the chassis. the brace in question hooks up on the suspension on the yaris / xd. are there any other cars that run the same brace? this is actually peaking my curiosity, because i cant find anything else on the part

BLAZINBLUEVITZ 05-03-2011 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by xDTool (Post 3832862)
i found plenty of those, but they all connect on the chassis. the brace in question hooks up on the suspension on the yaris / xd. are there any other cars that run the same brace? this is actually peaking my curiosity, because i cant find anything else on the part

found this for a newer FIT: http://www.gtspec.com/product/gtspec...e-09-honda-fit

looks like same principal to me....

BLAZINBLUEVITZ 05-03-2011 07:25 PM

WOW, more than 2 hours later and no reply.....

xDTool 05-03-2011 07:33 PM

sorry your highness, some of us work 8-5 mon-friday, and only hit forums on smoke/lunch breaks or when we're not overly busy.

looks like it shares the same points as the standard rear swaybar for the GE8 from the searching i've done.

can only find one review and its from the guy that got an entire gtspec suspension setup for free.

any more information?

BLAZINBLUEVITZ 05-03-2011 08:10 PM

i'll leave any more information up to you to find out. me thinks you believe that since my stuff was free that somehow im just trying to promote their business........

xDTool 05-03-2011 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by BLAZINBLUEVITZ (Post 3833037)
i'll leave any more information up to you to find out. me thinks you believe that since my stuff was free that somehow im just trying to promote their business........

Thats not the case at all, actually.

My belief is that since you/they didnt spend their hard earned money on it, the review isnt nearly as critical as it could be on it. and has nothing to do with promoting their business.

when you spend 0$ on a pretty part and it doesnt do whats advertised / you hoped for you basically say "meh, at least it was free" then say you didnt care for it, or noticed little to no gaines.

when you spend 200$ msrp on a pretty part and it doesnt do whats advertised / you hoped for you turn livid and say "i spent my money on this when i could have gotten something else?" and find everything wrong with the piece

Those type of reviews seem much more critical and pick apart products by overall build / performance / visual quality, and those reviews are better 7-8/10 times.

and its not aimed at gtspec in any sort of manner as to their QA, because i've never owned any of their products.

No biggie, i'm happy with my setup as it is, i was just into seeing more information out of personal curiosity.

my car left the ring of wanna be performance car a long time ago

andrewjc 05-03-2011 10:47 PM

I received a reply from TRDSparks and there is in fact different part numbers for 2010 and 2011 springs. They are $58 each so are about the same price as aftermarket. However, they could not tell me what the height difference is. So an 11 owner would have to chime in or I’ll have to go to the dealer and take a measurement.

Nateson 05-04-2011 06:40 AM

What is the height difference from 2011- 2010? I could do a search, but well?

When I get springs I'm pretty set on the Eibach pro kit. The drop isn't huge, and they're progressive rate springs. I was waffling between the pro kit and the sportline kit, and since mine is a daily driver I decided to lean away from the kidney beater. Good luck in what ever you get!