Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Newbie seeking suspension advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 01:59 AM

Default Newbie seeking suspension advice

Hi all. I've been scanning the posts here, but I feel (embarrassingly) like a fish out of water. I bought a Scion XD last year, logged about 13,000 miles in the NE. I love the car. I've lived 9 years in Europe and have always liked the European subcompact hatchback type car that everyone drives there. I remember driving from Paris to Madrid in a Peugot at 100 + mph the whole way. I bought the XD for it's toyota quality, distinctive styling and high profile which just makes me feel more secure competing with the SUV's on US roads.
My only issue is thXD suspension. As stated in another post here "The stock xD is WAY too high and bounces like a stagecoach". Can someone a pls suggest what I could do to reduced the bounce, rough ride. Shocks, struts, springs, air ride and other aftermarket options are available but at huge price differences.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well it really depends what youre looking for..you claimed to like the high profile of the car, so lowering that will sacrifice it (especially if go with the lowest options) but our options right now are, popularly, Tanabe springs, offered in both NF210's and DF210s (which are the lowest spring you can buy), Sprint springs (which are SLIGHTLY higher than DF's but give an even looking drop), or you could go with coilover's from the yaris...again..it depends what youre looking for. in terms of shocks you can buy tokico's or TRD's, both companies produce shocks specifically made for the xD.

in all honesty, no matter how much you lower your car, youre going to experience a rougher ride. my suggestion is to go with w/e springs give you the drop youre looking for, and when you buy rims, try finding a tire that will give you the most comfortable ride.

drop rates:
tanabe
NF - 1.4" F/ 1.7" R
DF - 1.9" F/ 2.2" R

and Sprint gives you, i THINK, 1.9 all around...but I'm not sure. there shuold be a thread on it.

hope this helped...PM me if you have anymore quesitons. i can get you discounts on all the suspension products, so when you decide on a set, let me know. i'll give you a price quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:58 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: Newbie seeking suspension advice

There are a bunch of opinions out there, but I doubt that more than a quarter of the folks posting have been able to compare different set-ups.

All I can offer is that, I too, thought the ride height and handling of the stock xD was awful but correctible. Lowering the car is the key - it just sits too high. I chose the FULL TRD kit (springs shocks struts bar). This is probably the mildest of the conversions, but provides significant improvement over the stock set-up.

I was curious about your road handling comment. The stock xD set-up is fairly plush. I don't think you are going to get a Buick ride out of a xD suspension conversion. I do recall that my 1976 BMW 2002 with Bilsteins had a supple ride. The xD, with the TRD suspension is lower, tighter, yet does not transmit a harsh road feel. I am comfortable sticking with the Toyota engineered product.

Bottom line - do SOMETHING! The xD suspension is awful (unless you simply just don't care!)

Originally Posted by Dave06
Hi all. I've been scanning the posts here, but I feel (embarrassingly) like a fish out of water. I bought a Scion XD last year, logged about 13,000 miles in the NE. I love the car. I've lived 9 years in Europe and have always liked the European subcompact hatchback type car that everyone drives there. I remember driving from Paris to Madrid in a Peugot at 100 + mph the whole way. I bought the XD for it's toyota quality, distinctive styling and high profile which just makes me feel more secure competing with the SUV's on US roads.
My only issue is thXD suspension. As stated in another post here "The stock xD is WAY too high and bounces like a stagecoach". Can someone a pls suggest what I could do to reduced the bounce, rough ride. Shocks, struts, springs, air ride and other aftermarket options are available but at huge price differences.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just because you change out a set of shocks/struts and/or springs doesn't mean you're going to eliminate the "awful" feel of the suspension. there's alot more to it than just these items. the Chassis plays a major role in how it absorbs some of the bumpiness/etc from the road (after the springs and shocks handle it). as i said before, tires are important too....while doing something may help to calm down one thing ( body roll reduction for example.) it could adversely effect comfort, which is always the case with a lowered car. maybe your springs can cushion the bump more, but you're going to feel the bump as you go over it, think of it as "riding the bump." while the spring may take out the initial shock of riding over a bump, you're obviously going to feel more of the bump as your entire chassis rocks over it. this could technically be viewed as a harsher ride, where as a stock height vehicle has more travel in the shocks/springs before the body will rock with it.

so if youre biggest concern is ride comfort, don't lower the vehicle. try and find the best tire you can that can eliminate road noise/ride smoother. thats where your comfort is at. maybe think about investing in new seats? or getting them reupholstered. if your seat is uncomfortable, then no matter WHAT you do to your car, then youre not going enjoy the ride. maybe rethink the lowering, and go a different route, because while it may not bounce like a "stagecoach" after its dropped, it will develop other little quirks in the ride.
Old 01-28-2009, 09:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The TRD combo (Shocks + Springs + Rear sway bar) will make a huge difference on the ride feel.
Those are the 3 components that you should look for on your suspension upgrade.

Not sure about the TRD current prices but If you are not very happy paying the TRD price tags, there is another high quality combo that would offer similar gains to the TRD combo but a lower price

Tokico Blues Shocks $305
Tanabe NF Springs $129
Ultra Racing Rear Sway bar $168
Old 01-28-2009, 11:01 PM

Default thanks and one more question

Thanks to all for the advice and input. I realize everything is a compromise between handling and comfort but since its hard to actually test drive the options/upgrades available, it’s a tough decision to make. Believe me, I’m not trying to get the XD to ride like an Olds Delta 88. I like a responsive car, to feel the road, but I just don’t want to worry about spilling my coffee when I hit a pot hole. Another quick question. At one point, I thought about replacing the driver’s seat with a nicer more comfortable aftermarket/upgrade. My understanding was that the drivers seat is considered part of the cars safety/airbag system and by taking out the original seat I could have warranty or safety issues. Is this true? I’ve had my car for 10 months and have 13,000 miles.
Old 01-28-2009, 11:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It is a part of the safety/airbag system, and it will violate warranty IF you are in an accident and try to make a claim that you weren't safe enough because the airbag didn't go off...your insurance will still cover a vehicle that is totaled/involved in an accident. I'm not sure that any accidents will even be covered under warranty...but don't take my word for that. one thing you can do is get it reupholstered. take it to a good place, and ask them what they can do to make the seat more comfortable. they shuold be able to do a complete job without compromising the seat airbags.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:52 AM

Default Rear Bar Alone?

Someone here mentioned the BMW 2002, and the xD reminds me of that car, too. I'm an old geezer - old enough to have owned a new 2002, which I drove for 23 years. The driving position in the two cars is similar, you sit tall in both, and both have a lot of body lean. As legendary as the 2002 was, it's nowhere close to the handling and performance of today's cars - the xD has a better ride, is much quicker, turns about 1000 rpm less at 70 mph, and gets about 10 more mpg.

I just got the xD and love this car, but if you want all-out handling, why not start with something a lot closer to the ground? The xD is a very practical box for hauling a lot of stuff in the smallest possible package. The refinement, fit, finish, standard features, and performance are unbeatable at the price. I drove the Fit and was very disappointed with the engine/gearing. And - maybe I just like boxy cars - but I think as quirky as the xD is, it's a lot better looking than the Fit.

I do have one question, though. If I do nothing else to the suspension, does it make any sense to add a rear stabilizer bar?
Old 06-13-2009, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

One thing I plan on doing is getting the eibach sportline springs. They' re a progressive spring, meaning they have a tight coil at the top and wider at the bottom. What that allows is it has a certain amount of give before it stiffens up. It won't handle as well as straight hard springs (the pro kit)but offers better handling than stock. Other than that Check trd sparks for the sway bar and trd shocks.
Old 06-13-2009, 01:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Amend. I had the two kits reversed pro kit is softer than the sport line kit
Old 07-14-2009, 03:45 PM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If someone were to order the combo (TRD Springs/Shock/Sway) we can work out a great deal for them!

TRD to me is the best way to improve the XD and give it a great stance. You don't lose much ride quality on it and it goes great with 18" wheels!

Tim
Old 08-05-2009, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the bouncy feel is the short wheel base. xD ultimately needs a LSD and a really good thick rear sway bar. the car terrible turn-in imo