Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

Strut Bar

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:48 PM
SL Member

Default Strut Bar

I just found this and i was wondering if anyone has it and what their input is on this.
http://scionpartspeople.com/SearchPr...nt+Strut+Brace

Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was wondering the same thing. The last car I had the sway bars and springs/struts/coilovers helped more than the sway bar. Of course every car is a bit different and I'm curious about the same thing.
I'm going to order the TRD rear sway bar and am considering the front stut bar. On my last car, I really couldn't tell any difference after adding the strut bar.
This time I have stock suspension and was wondering whether or not the strut would help. I should be ordering some springs soon, but a subtle drop nothing too crazy.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:44 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm pretty sure these are mostly cosmetic on our cars. theres not much to stiffen up because of the design of our cars and where the strut towers are located. I have the Tanabe one which i never got around to installing because i had gotten it right before my wreck, and am just getting the car back.
Old 09-18-2009, 01:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

xDtool is right, they are no more than cosmetic on the xD. Now, if you were doing some seriously hardcore autocross then it MIGHT be a little help. But the combination of such a short vehicle width and the Macpherson struts really eliminate the need for a strut bar. On the other hand, things such as the rear sway bar OR the Megan Racing 3-piece sway bar set will show you a much higher increase in drivability because you are stiffening looser parts of the body.
Old 09-20-2009, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default Don't do it.

Having one identifies you as someone that does not do their homework!

There is NO benefit to having one of these!
Old 09-20-2009, 05:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by slim99
Having one identifies you as someone that does not do their homework!

There is NO benefit to having one of these!
Sure there is...

And your comments identifies you as someone that is not really helpful to anyone.

They look good. That's all scions are good for unless you have tons of money or sponsorships. So go ahead and get on off yer high horse and let people that want them for their cosmetic appeal have them.

Thats what I got it for, and I got it knowing thats what I'd be getting.

K,Thx
Old 09-21-2009, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I actually found that when I installed my Tanabe strut bar there was a drastic difference... The xD handles much better than before and body roll was dramatically reduced...

What is odd though is that when I installed the TRD rear sway bar, I did not notice much a difference, possibly because the Tanabe front strut brace was already in, I am not sure... but there is my 2 cents on the matter...
Old 09-21-2009, 07:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion
I actually found that when I installed my Tanabe strut bar there was a drastic difference... The xD handles much better than before and body roll was dramatically reduced...

What is odd though is that when I installed the TRD rear sway bar, I did not notice much a difference, possibly because the Tanabe front strut brace was already in, I am not sure... but there is my 2 cents on the matter...
Thanks for the observation. I'm still debating on whether or not to put mine on, might just sell it. Funding parts for 2 cars is no fun, especially when the other car needs a lot of parts haha
Old 10-11-2009, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by WellesleyScion

Installed mine yesterday with my DF210s.

Definitely a better turn in than on the TRD's , and a nicer ride on a straight line. Trying to figure out if some of that is due to strut tower bar, or if those are the characteristics i shoulda been expecting from the DFs
Old 10-11-2009, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default bad ju ju

This is what I was told by a parts guy while he was on the phone with TRD at corporate. I pushed hard to find out why this part was discontinued. THIS IS WHAT I WAS TOLD:

The strut tower brace on the scion xd in some instances some how grounded out the positive battery terminal.........shorting most of the car. I think he said there were like 4 or 5 instances where this happened....and thats why they discontinued the trd strut tower brace, as for an aftermarket one...not sure how those are fairing....and on a side note...I am currently looking into if the braces from the newest yaris cars will work on the xd.....supposedly its the same car under it all......

Originally Posted by c2iix
I just found this and i was wondering if anyone has it and what their input is on this.
http://scionpartspeople.com/SearchPr...nt+Strut+Brace

Old 11-21-2009, 03:54 PM

Hi: Is there an installation guide with this bar?
Old 11-21-2009, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

these bars are the easiest thing on the planet to install if you have hands small enough.

Jack up the front of the car so that you can fit your hands into the strut tower and press the bolts into the 2 holes on each side of the strut tower, and through the braces on the tower bar, tighten, torque. I did it when replacing springs which made it extremely easy because its easy to get your hands into the towers with the strut assemblies out.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:13 PM

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by xDTool
these bars are the easiest thing on the planet to install if you have hands small enough.

Jack up the front of the car so that you can fit your hands into the strut tower and press the bolts into the 2 holes on each side of the strut tower, and through the braces on the tower bar, tighten, torque. I did it when replacing springs which made it extremely easy because its easy to get your hands into the towers with the strut assemblies out.

Kool, thx!