Notices
Scion xD Suspension & Handling Coilovers, Shocks, Airbags, Swaybars...

What is going on with my car?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2013, 05:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default What is going on with my car?

08 Scion XD; 109,000 miles.

Seems like it's just been acting funny lately and I don't know why. I had an inspection done at Toyota a couple weeks ago and they didn't find anything except they told me to replace the struts - however, I got a second opinion on that from Les Schwab and they said there was nothing wrong with them. No leaks, and it's driving fine in that regard - no nosediving or swaying.

First, when I start it first thing in the morning (or after being parked all day), I hear a quick chirp. I've recently changed the serpentine belt and I know it's tight so I don't know what that is. The weather has changed and it's colder in the morning; but this car's been through a lot of winters and I've never noticed this before.

Secondly, why does it seem like sometimes I have to turn my key longer than other times? Like, sometimes it starts real quick and other times I have to hold it longer. Seems like that's new.

Lastly, I'm hearing a weird sound when I go over bumps… so hard to explain; I want to say it's like a rubbing sound - maybe even like a crunching sound. I seriously can't explain it, I just know it shouldn't be happening. Hopefully you have some clue what I'm talking about. On that same note; sometimes when I make a sharp turn out of a parking spot or something, it seems like my tires slip or something, as if I've run over a nut or something, but there's nothing there. WTF.

I know it's so hard to say what's going on based on what I've described - I just want to get some idea before I take it to the shop again and have them recommend things that might have nothing to do with my real issues.
Old 10-23-2013, 08:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

There was a warranty repair letter sent out a while ago about some sort of ball bearing or some type of bolt that can come loose, but won't cause a safety issue, due to the way it's designed. I can't remember exactly because I had it checked out already & can't find the paper now.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk 4