Notices

weight of optional 16" Alloy wheels

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:48 AM

Default weight of optional 16" Alloy wheels

anyone measured how heavy they are?
I'm trying to decide whether I should go with them ($795) or not.

If they're lightweight, then it'll be easier to justify.
(especially since I don't like the look)

Also, is $795 installed or just the wheels? Please share your experience.

Right now, I'm almost positive I'm going to put in an order for a white 09 XD with auto - bone stock. The look of the stock wheels really bothers me, and I'm willing to pay $800 (installed) to get a better looking (and lighter) set - but I'm seeing north of $1K from tirerack.com for a set.

Thx
Old 09-09-2008, 11:36 AM

Default Re: weight of optional 16" Alloy wheels

Originally Posted by gidal

Right now, I'm almost positive I'm going to put in an order for a white 09 XD with auto - bone stock. The look of the stock wheels really bothers me, and I'm willing to pay $800 (installed) to get a better looking (and lighter) set - but I'm seeing north of $1K from tirerack.com for a set.

Thx
$795 is the installed price. i'm not sure of the rim weight but it will be comparable to stock and likely a couple of lbs lighter but either way it wont be significant enough to see much of an impact on fuel efficiency.

the TC 17" alloy is a tiny bit heavier than stock with tire and you usually find them in good condition on ebay or craigs list for under 500 bucks with tires.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:16 AM
Banned
SL Member

Default Re: weight of optional 16" Alloy wheels

You can get the same wheels from TRDspark.com for $600.

Remember that anything from tirerack is going to incur an extra charge for the pressure sensors (another $300 for a set of four). I almost went that route and found that the Toyota option was much more practical. Everything was balanced and installed for about $700.

I personally like the look and wouldn't want something more "open" unless the rear brakes were discs. No sense in displaying those drums!

Originally Posted by gidal

Thx
Old 09-24-2008, 02:13 PM

Default gidal, I had better experience with aftermarket wheels...

I too was not crazy about the stock wheels and wheel covers, and wasn't thrilled with the dealer wheel option either. I purchased a set of Rial Como 16"s and had my local shop swap wheels and swap tpm sensors and balance for $60. Overall I have a wheel style that I like MUCH better and at a cost less than the $795 or whatever the dealer option costs. I ordered from Tirerack on a Wednesday afternoon and the wheels were at my house 24 hours later!!

My xD is white as well and these wheels look really sharp. I don't have any pics yet but the tirerack website will let you view those wheels on your car. Tirerack also lists weight of the wheels.

Good luck.