Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Aero & Exterior Aero parts and exterior dress items...

2014 xB - Fog light accessory

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 03:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default 2014 xB - Fog light accessory

I'm thinking about getting the fog lights installed at the dealership. It's about $350. Just wondering if anyone has these Scion accessory fog lights installed on their vehicle. I seem to remember reading that they install a dedicated switch down on the lower dash near the traction control button, and that there is an empty "bay" for that switch. Is that correct ? Also, do the fog lights operate independently from the headlights, so that you can turn on the fog lights when you don't have the headlights or parking lights on ? I'm hoping that is the case. One thing that annoys me about the xB is that the display on the radio unit dims when you turn on the parking lights/headlights, and it makes it hard to see during the day.

Thanks.

______

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-15-2020 at 07:03 AM. Reason: Moved to Correct Forum by Moderator
Old 02-25-2018, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Unless you're completely mechanically un-inclined, I say pass up the dealership and install it yourself. Save yourself the money. The fog lights are easy to install and the car is already pre-wired for fog lights. The Toyota kit will include the fog lights and the switch. The switch does replace one of the blanks next to the traction control button. The fog lights will not activate unless you have the headlights on, and automatically turn off when you hit your high beams. There is a relay buried in the center console that you can re-wire to make it so the fog lights can be controlled separately, but that relay is a serious pain in the ___ to get to.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Ok, I'm going to have to mull this. Not mechanically inclined, so I'm not going to try to install, i'd probably butcher the grille. I kind of wanted to use these as daytime running lights to avoid the aforementioned problem with the dash lights dimming when the lights are on. Since you can't operate them independently , that kind of defeats the purpose. Thanks for the info !
Old 02-25-2018, 08:57 PM
Administrator
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Administrator

Originally Posted by Crimsonxbox
Do the Fog Lights operate independently from the headlights, so that you can turn on the fog lights when you don't have the headlights or parking lights on ? I'm hoping that is the case.
One thing that annoys me about the xB is that the display on the radio unit dims when you turn on the parking lights/headlights, and it makes it hard to see during the day. Thanks.
I had Dealer Installed OEM Fog Lights on my 2015 tC. They install the Switch in the blank on the Driver's left side dash. When I turn on my parking lights/headlights, the Nav/Radio Display Dims. I THINK that is to reduce light for Night time driving purposes.

IF you Insist on Independent Fog Lights (can be switch on Separately, use as DRLs, won't dim your Display), then I Suggest you check out 3rd Party Fog Light Kits offered for your Year & Model like on eBay, Amazon, CARiD...
Check around locally, you might be able to find a garage or technician that will wire it up for you for maybe $100-140 more or less. Try Best Buy or any Stereo/Alarm place near you. Get Quotes.

https://www.carid.com/2014-scion-xb-fog-lights/

MR_LUV

Last edited by MR_LUV; 06-15-2020 at 07:07 AM.