Notices
tC G2 Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC G2

BackUp Camera Install tC2 Alpine HU

Old 05-04-2012, 04:14 AM
Banned
SL Member

How about cable for less than $15.00 shipped?

http://www.sfcable.com/rca-composite-cables.html
http://www.sfcable.com/10A3-03125.html
http://www.sfcable.com/251-118.html
Old 05-04-2012, 04:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Optomize sold the full cable for $39.99 plus shipping. Granted, the cable I built is only for the back up camera, but I am using toyota parts that don't have to be modified in any way and it works. I am offering to fabricate another cable and let it go at my cost, which is $26. If you want one for less than $15 maybe you can try ebay or something, but good luck finding it. If you think my offer is too high I am sorry, but I am not planning on loosing or making any money off this venture. Just trying to help out others in the same situation that I was.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-09-2018 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr. Badge
Old 05-09-2012, 10:06 AM
5 Year Member

Can you splice regular RCA cables?

Old 05-12-2012, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by CREEPUR
Can you splice regular RCA cables?
The problem is the tiny little metal end pins that have to fit into the plastic housing. There are several companies that make these pins and each is the same type, but has different specs so it is hard to know if they will fit exactly because we are talking about millimeters.
If I can narrow down the correct pins, then I can splice an RCA cable and bring the cost down to 15-20$ for the complete video kit. So far I have not been able to find the pins or find them in quantities less than 5000 and I have been looking since I first posted in this thread.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member

Nice

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-11-2018 at 04:40 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr. Badge
Old 07-12-2012, 12:05 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by gemoore
Optomize sold the full cable for $39.99 plus shipping. Granted, the cable I built is only for the back up camera, but I am using Toyota parts that don't have to be modified in any way and it works. I am offering to fabricate another cable and let it go at my cost, which is $26. If you want one for less than $15 maybe you can try ebay or something, but good luck finding it. If you think my offer is too high I am sorry, but I am not planning on loosing or making any money off this venture. Just trying to help out others in the same situation that I was.
Hello,

Are you still creating this cable?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-09-2018 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr. Badge
Old 07-22-2012, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Sorry for the delay, I have been working on building a deck and neglected the forums. I haven't made any recently because no one has posted, but would be willing. I believe I may have found a supplier for the pins so I was thinking about ordering some to do a test when I have some spare time. If you are interested let me know and maybe I can fab a full video kit (backup camera and iPod input) if these pins look like they will work and you can be the guinea pig.

Old 07-22-2012, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey I really want a back up camera how much for the harness ? Shipped to Hawaii ? Thanks

Old 07-26-2012, 02:44 AM
5 Year Member

Greetings!

I'm trying to install a backup camera on my wife's tC to cheer her up since we got into an accident a month ago and just got the car back. (Not so good as new).

I normally do just an okay job on my xD and don't really care much because I only have myself to impress.

1) I'm trying not to break anything on my wife's car and I'm not sure how to get the interior panel off that is already clearly off in your very first picture. How did you do it?

2) Furthermore, what route did you use between picture 11 and 12? It would seem easy enough to just fish it with a coat hanger to the post that hosts the seatbelt and then down the post to where your picture 12 shows- which is easy enough.

3) Almost lastly, it seems to me that you took apart waaaaayyy more than should have been necessary on the dash (please don't take that as criticism). When I hooked up my system in my xD, I didn't do anything that extensive.
Is there something that you know that you might pass along before I do research to find out you did it the only way it could be done or something to that effect?

4) Lastly, the camera I bought only has a video cable and a ground-
4A) should it have a "reverse trigger" as well?
4B) And you said to tap into the green wire for ground, but the ground wire provided doesn't go but a few feet.

I believe this is because you can just connect to the chassis instead of running all the way to the dash, right?

Thank you much,

The work you've done so far has been excellent!

Last edited by MR_LUV; 10-11-2018 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr. Badge
Old 07-29-2012, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by Frognipple
Greetings!

I'm trying to install a backup camera on my wife's tC to cheer her up since we got into an accident a month ago and just got the car back. (Not so good as new).

I normally do just an okay job on my xD and don't really care much because I only have myself to impress.

1) I'm trying not to break anything on my wife's car and I'm not sure how to get the interior panel off that is already clearly off in your very first picture. How did you do it?

2) Furthermore, what route did you use between picture 11 and 12? It would seem easy enough to just fish it with a coat hanger to the post that hosts the seatbelt and then down the post to where your picture 12 shows- which is easy enough.

3) Almost lastly, it seems to me that you took apart waaaaayyy more than should have been necessary on the dash (please don't take that as criticism). When I hooked up my system in my xD, I didn't do anything that extensive.
Is there something that you know that you might pass along before I do research to find out you did it the only way it could be done or something to that effect?

4) Lastly, the camera I bought only has a video cable and a ground- 4A) should it have a "reverse trigger" as well? 4B) And you said to tap into the green wire for ground, but the ground wire provided doesn't go but a few feet.
I believe this is because you can just connect to the chassis instead of running all the way to the dash, right?

Thank you much,
The work you've done so far has been excellent!

#1) You can get a dash removal kit from Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Scosche-12...ol-Kit/5691046 the orange thing that looks like a fork will pop the panel off without scratching when put between the panel and car. Start at the top and work your way to the back

#2) That is exactly what I did but used a wire run line vs coat hanger

#3) Do you have to run up and through the dash? No. You can run it under the steering column and across. I just ran it through the top to not have wire hanging and getting caught up on anything else.

#4) 4a) It all depends on the brand of camera. The reverse trigger provides power to the camera to turn it on when you go in reverse. So the question is how is power supplied to your camera?
4b) You are correct. Your camera allows you to connect the ground to the chassis. My camera has all the connections at the head unit so I just connected it to the green ground wire at the head unit.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-09-2018 at 09:33 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr. Badge
Old 07-30-2012, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member

Default Pop panel off?

So you're supposed to pop the panel off? I've read elsewhere that the little plastic pieces I'm afraid of breaking are easy and cheap to replace.
And to be clear, what I'm taking from this is: the grey interior panel which is connected to the hatch just on the other side of where the camera would be mounted on the outside- that panel can be pulled off without regard to the little plastic things that hold it on and the tool to do it with is the orange thing which is part of a dash kit?

Did you break any of them and / or do you know where to get those plastic things or what their official name is?

Thank you for your time.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-09-2018 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr. Badge
Old 07-30-2012, 11:28 PM
5 Year Member

I didnt break any of them. Can they break? Yea if you yank off without regards. Once you get one end up just pull up as you go along the edge of it and off it comes without breaking
any of the plastic thingys and I dont know the "official" name for them

Old 08-15-2012, 12:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Just wanted to update those seeking backup camera and possibly the video cable for the alpine premium HU. I have been busy working on a deck and patio, but I am looking to order some parts this week.
If you are interested in the cable, please PM with a zip code for shipping and I will get you an estimate as soon as I can. Thanks.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

OK so new plan. I am too busy to make multiple cables for the Alpine HU so I am just going to buy the parts and do a DIY on how to make the cable from scratch. It appears that RevolutionAutomotive has found what looks like a possible match for the iPod part of the video harness (thread can be found here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185337&page=6), but it hasnt been tested yet. I plan on building one complete cable set (reverse and video) and posting the DIY within the next 30 days. After I get it all posted and done, then I will sell the one that I built for the DIY.

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-09-2018 at 09:31 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr. Badge
Old 11-06-2012, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member

OK so new plan. I am too busy to make multiple cables for the Alpine HU so I am just going to buy the parts and do a DIY on how to make the cable from scratch. It appears that RevolutionAutomotive has found what looks like a possible match for the ipod part of the video harness (thread can be found here: https://www.scionlife.com/forums/showthread.php?t=185337&page=6), but it hasnt been tested yet. I plan on building one complete cable set (reverse and video) and posting the DIY within the next 30 days. After I get it all posted and done, then I will sell the one that I built for the DIY.

Any update on this?

Last edited by MR_LUV; 12-09-2018 at 09:38 PM. Reason: Awarded 5 Yr. Badge
Old 11-26-2012, 02:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

No progress on this. I never got much interest via PMs so I wasnt sure if anyone wanted the cable sets. Also, I have been off of the forums for awhile because I recently moved and started a new job. I am looking to get back into it, but I want to have a buyer lined up before I spend money and time building a cable or the set of cables. If you are interested, let me know. I will need to track down the supplier I have for the pins and see if I can still get them. Otherwise it will be all toyota parts (they want 19$ for a wire with a pin already crimped) and I will provide the needed part numbers.

Old 12-23-2012, 06:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

So I finally got around to ordering the little metal pins that go inside the connectors. I received them this last friday and they look very promising. I only ordered 10 for now, but can easily get more. The backup camera harness has two wires (although mine works with only 1 wire, I think the ground wire on that is for the parking break thing with the ipod video input cable) and the video input cable takes six wires. I have gotten a couple PMs, but they mostly seem like they are for the back-up camera only. If anyone is interested in either of the cables, let me know. I am hoping to make one of each so I can confirm that I can fabricate them both in working condition. Thanks.

CREEPUR: Is the Pin Out of the video cable connector (blue one) as you are looking at it with the wires on the backside (looking at it from the front I guess) or is it as you are looking at the back with the wires facing you (the backside)?
Thanks!

Old 01-11-2013, 07:07 PM
5 Year Member

I know it's been a few weeks since the last activity in this thread, but I was curious how everything was working out still? I appreciate the work and research involved in getting this to work. Do you know whether this would work with the new 2012+ premium audio system?
Old 01-18-2013, 06:24 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by PhD_2013_tC
I know it's been a few weeks since the last activity in this thread, but I was curious how everything was working out still? I appreciate the work and research involved in getting this to work. Do you know whether this would work with the new 2012+ premium audio system?
I have the pins and I am waiting on the plastic connector to arrive from Toyota to get a harness together to be tested. If the pins fit correctly and everything works, then I should be able to make the back-up camera AND the video harness. Is the 2012+ premium system an alpine? If it uses the same style connectors then it may work, but would depend on the location of the pins.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:17 AM
5 Year Member

I have the pins and I am waiting on the plastic connector to arrive from Toyota to get a harness together to be tested. If the pins fit correctly and everything works, then I should be able to make the back-up camera AND the video harness. Is the 2012+ premium system an alpine? If it uses the same style connectors then it may work, but would depend on the location of the pins.
What would it cost for just the backup camera harness?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BackUp Camera Install tC2 Alpine HU