Old 04-09-2012, 03:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

No problem
Old 04-12-2012, 12:51 PM

Mission complete. I did it by myself in 10-11 hours, which included a run to the parts store and a few breaks.

Props to the DIY write-up!
Old 04-13-2012, 03:38 PM

Subscribed.
Old 04-13-2012, 03:40 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Originally Posted by RustystC3208
Mission complete. I did it by myself in 10-11 hours, which included a run to the parts store and a few breaks.

Props to the DIY write-up!
How many people did you have helping you change it out, and what brand Clutch/Flywheel did you go with? I've been reading through this thread a lot lately since I'll have to change mine soon ...plus it's been a few years since I helped Tenney with the DIY
Old 04-13-2012, 04:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ said by himself
Old 04-13-2012, 07:22 PM

Lol. Yeah. I did it myself with 1 busted a** jack and 2 jack stands. Extra hands would definitely make it go faster and make things easier.

To weslxa, I went with a fidanza lightweight (I think it was the heavier of the 2, don't quote me on this, I can't remember.. I bought the stuff over a year ago) and for my clutch, it was an ACT stage 2 (which has an amazing feel by the way) and I also bought a Toyota throw out bearing to use instead of the one provided with the clutch kit.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Whoops...forgot how to read I've been looking into the F1 flywheels and clutches because you can't beat the price ($350 for clutch and lightweight flywheel)..though I don't want to skimp out then have to change it again in a few months. Heard some bad things about their copper ceramic clutches (Stage 3), but stage 2 is carbon kevlar like spec and some others.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:53 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

awesome DIY cant wait to replace the clutch in my girls tC hha
Old 04-15-2012, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by weslxa
Whoops...forgot how to read I've been looking into the F1 flywheels and clutches because you can't beat the price ($350 for clutch and lightweight flywheel)..though I don't want to skimp out then have to change it again in a few months. Heard some bad things about their copper ceramic clutches (Stage 3), but stage 2 is carbon kevlar like spec and some others.
Unless you plan on putting down some serious power (boosted).. I would say that you don't need a stage 3. Even most stage 2's will hold upwards of 350(+/-)HP.. that is if I am not wrong, which, is always possible.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:15 PM

Are the pictures still visible in the OP or is it just my firewall here at work? I need to replace my clutch this weekend and I was hoping this writeup would do the trick. Any other DIY articles that I can refer to for clutch/flywheel replacement. The factory service manual has me taking a looooot of stuff off to get to teh clultch. Yuck!!!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I still see them. I just did mine recently and used this thread. Good luck.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by myr6goesfast
I still see them. I just did mine recently and used this thread. Good luck.
Thanks...I guess I gotta waste my own printer supplies at home in that case
Old 07-13-2013, 01:49 PM

We're at a crossroads and need some major help. We were able to get the front bolts out of the center support but the rear is causing us problems. From the looks of it, one of the trans mounts is sitting on top of the support and of course can't get it out without first removing the mount. The mount is to the very rear of the engine and the bolt running through the bushing will not come lose with an impact gun. This is literally the last thing just before removing the trans and not sure how else to proceed. Any advice?
Old 07-27-2013, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Thasteve
We're at a crossroads and need some major help. We were able to get the front bolts out of the center support but the rear is causing us problems. From the looks of it, one of the trans mounts is sitting on top of the support and of course can't get it out without first removing the mount. The mount is to the very rear of the engine and the bolt running through the bushing will not come lose with an impact gun. This is literally the last thing just before removing the trans and not sure how else to proceed. Any advice?
I'm not sure how much pressure and volumetric flow your air compressor is capable of handling, but a large breaker bar if you have room might be better than an impact gun that may be working too hard. I would double check to see if there is anything shearing the bolt to make it more difficult to rotate i.e. the weight of sub frame or something like that. Also, try and use some penetrating lubricant on the threads of the bolt if you haven't already tried that. Good luck!
Old 08-30-2013, 03:18 PM
SL Member

I tCer on ystc recently purchased a SPEC Stage 2 kit and the throwout bearing didn't fit and had to order one from toyota, now he's trying to figure out what went wrong..Here's the posts

I'm currently thinking about ordering a Stage 2+ from SPEC but don't want to run the risk of having to order a TOB due to the supplied one not being compatible..any thoughts are welcome!
Old 02-20-2014, 06:15 AM

Hello i am trying to put my tranmission back into the car i have a 2005 xb gen1 and i cant seem to get clearance to get the sucker back into the motor can you help please i need it done asap the city might fine me for having it up on jack for over 3 weeks trying to get this tranny back in!!!!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-15-2014, 02:59 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Alright we are having an issue with getting the driver side axle out. Does anyone have a picture or could tell me the location of those two bolts on the passenger side?
Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by hunterovarmy
Alright we are having an issue with getting the driver side axle out. Does anyone have a picture or could tell me the location of those two bolts on the passenger side?
The driver side axel has a c clip at the end so if it doesn't pop out after prying then spin the end of axel (tranny side) a little and try again rinse repeat, it should pop right out when done right. Its more technique than brute force imo
Old 08-27-2014, 03:26 PM

Default Transmission

Hi everyone,
If anyone can answer my question it would be great. I I will be replacing my clutch on my 05 tc soon and I want to get opinions on if it's more beneficial to take out the transmission or can you shift it over to the side if there's room.

Thanks.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mutu
Hi everyone,
If anyone can answer my question it would be great. I I will be replacing my clutch on my 05 tc soon and I want to get opinions on if it's more beneficial to take out the transmission or can you shift it over to the side if there's room.

Thanks.
I just did my clutch honestly you have to drop the whole tranny. You really want to because 1. You can replace the throwout bearing 2. Pull the fork off and clean and grease that fork pivot point and grease the two points at the end of fork where you see the wear from throwout bearing. 3. Clean the shaft splines the fsm says to grease the shaft I just greased the clutch splines so it doesn't get stuck to the tranny splines. If you decide to grease use a very very light coat of molly grease and remove excess grease. 4. clean the shaft sleeve with brake cleaner (where the throwout bearing rides on) then grease with a molly grease this has to be a very light coat or else it will collect at the end of the sleeve trust me on that lol. Make sure you clean the inner race grease and regrease with same grease used on sleeve. Just slide the bearing back and forth and wipe whatever collects at the end then install you'll have the smoothest clutch engagement ever. Don't forget to clean and grease the slave cylinder fork pivot point with lithium grease

Quick Reply: DIY Clutch & Flywheel install for Scion tC