Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

iPod2Car Install

Old 10-28-2005, 05:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default iPod2Car Install

Hey everyone...I've heard many people rave about their ipod2car (neo2car, aux2car, etc...) so I decided I wanted one too.

I found one on eBay that came out to be about $95 w/ shipping and included the one cable, but not the second, but found it on Crutchfield for $9.99 w/ free shipping. So all in all, $105 for something that is usually $150-$200 depending on where you get it and they may or may not include cables which could add $25 to the cost. I think it's a good deal.

Anyways I decided to take pictures as I installed mine last night seeing as nobody else really did. It's not too hard and if you can get to your stereo you won't really need to look at this.

What you need:
1 - ipod2car adapter (or some variation of it)
1 - PXHTY1 adapter
1 - PXHTY2 adapter (needed to between PXHTY1 and HU)
1 - Phillips screwdriver
1 - 11mm socket driver
2 - 1" double sided adhesive squares (or some sort of double sided adhesives, not thin double sided tape!)

Let's get started. First thing is first. You need to unscrew the shift **** on your car, MT or AT. Set this aside and then gently pull middle section of the center console back towards the rear of the car. It's only held in place by some retension clips so it should come out w/ little problems. NOTE!!! Make sure you disconnect the cigarette lighter. Then just place this in the backseat out of the way.

Next we have to remove the dash area that surrounds the stereo and houses the climate controls. Sadly I forgot to take a picture here. But it works the same way as the center console portion. I stuck my fingernails behind the silver trim near the vents and again gently pulled forward and it just slid right off. NOTE!!! There is a connector powering the climate control area, you need to unplug this. Next, just set the climate controls in the backseat with the middle console section.

Now we get to remove the stereo from the car. This is where the Phillips screwdriver and 11mm Socket driver come into play. All you have to do is remove the two (2) screws as well as the two (2) bolts and the receiver will come right out. I didn't disconnect the power, antenna, or factory harness when doing this as I didn't think it was neccessary. It may be easier if you don't want to torque your HU around while it's still plugged in.

So now you have the HU out it's time to hook up the ipod2car adapter. You need to plug harness PXHTY1 into the ipod2car adapter and then plug the PXHTY2 harness into the PXHTY1 harness. Also don't forget to plug in the ipod patch cable to the ipod2car adapter.

Set the dipswitches on the ipod2car adapter. I used the following as the ones indicated in the directions do not work:

OFF: 3 5 7
ON: 1 2 4 6 8

Turn the HU around and you'll see exactly where the smaller (see image above) of the two plugs hook up to the HU.

Finally it's time to mount the ipod2car adapter. Again I didn't do a good job of illustrating this part. What I did was take two (2) one inch (1") max adhesive squares and place them on the back of the ipod2car adapter. Next I placed the adapter behind the stereo on the drivers side of the white plastic there. You can feel free to place yours elsewhere. I may in the future but I just wanted to get this done for right now. You can see below on the image where I put it based on the red arrows.

Also, you need to run the iPod patch cable somewhere. For the time being I ran mine back under stereo and out on the drivers side on the middle console section. Lots of room down where it and the carpet meet.

Lastly, put everything back together and enjoy!

The only glitch I found is that the time on the HU doesn't work. Which if you're going to have a glitch, this one isn't all that bad. It goes back and forth between 1'00 and 2'00...See the pictures below.

Hope this can help...

Yes...it is Sweet.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Nice! :D I'll add this to the Tech section and move it to the FAQ section in a week or so.

Also, have you noticed the flakey auto on/off feature? Like...the iPod not turning on/off when the head unit is turned on/off?
Old 11-01-2005, 12:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by mikochu
Nice! :D I'll add this to the Tech section and move it to the FAQ section in a week or so.

Also, have you noticed the flakey auto on/off feature? Like...the iPod not turning on/off when the head unit is turned on/off?
Yeah there are a few quirky things about this whole setup, but I think it's the best thing shy of having the OEM package.

I have the following issues so far:

1. The time fluctuating between 1 and 2 minutes as mentioned above.
2. Sometimes there is a lag of changing songs from the HU
3. And finally, the whole not turning off and on thing.
Old 11-06-2005, 03:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Premium Member

Could we possibly get a pic of the final product, of where the wire was fed thru and where ther ipod is mounted?
Old 11-08-2005, 05:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Not to steal your thread, BUT

I just installed my P.I.E TOY03-AUX adapter which gives you an audio input VIA an standard headphone jack. Whille it does not charge my I pod NANO, it does instantly give my head unit a signal, and the dispay on the headunit stays the same....
Old 11-09-2005, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

i hooked up my iPod via the AUX jack and the remote mount button line that iPod sells. it works great too. cost me $35.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:47 AM
5 Year Member

This write-up is amzing! However, do you know if this works with the 6-disc CD changer head unit? If so I will be on this ASAP. Thanks for your help, Stefan
Old 11-21-2005, 03:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Ditto that...

Does this work with the 6 disk changer?
Old 11-21-2005, 05:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What options are there if its not an iPod, but a aftermarket player?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will this set up work with the ipod nano?
Old 12-06-2005, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

That's definitely another alternative. I've used wire-tunes unit in my tC for a while, but sold the iPod, so trying to sell the inteface unit now. It does not have the glitch with time not displaying and it turns the iPod on and off. Also does not require any extra cables - simple plug and play. Allows you to move between your playlists (I had 12), and move between songs / ff /fr/ and has a shuffle function. Everything controlled from the HU - I kept the iPod in the centec console away from prying eyes.

Check classifieds for my for sale ad ;)
Old 12-06-2005, 03:47 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

Originally Posted by zoltiz
That's definitely another alternative. I've used wire-tunes unit in my tC for a while, but sold the iPod, so trying to sell the inteface unit now. It does not have the glitch with time not displaying and it turns the iPod on and off. Also does not require any extra cables - simple plug and play. Allows you to move between your playlists (I had 12), and move between songs / ff /fr/ and has a shuffle function. Everything controlled from the HU - I kept the iPod in the centec console away from prying eyes.

But it locks the iPod screen...
Old 12-06-2005, 06:57 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Does it work with a nano?
Old 12-06-2005, 10:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by mikochu
Originally Posted by zoltiz

But it locks the iPod screen...
Very true. Forgot to mention it. Never used the iPod screen - hard to see on the bottom of the center console

Wire-tunes new costs $99, btw. I only ask for half of that for mine.
Old 02-19-2006, 03:43 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

does this ipod2car thing work with the ipod video?
Old 05-15-2006, 09:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

works nano & ipod vidieo
Old 07-19-2006, 09:43 AM
5 Year Member

so... why no photo of the finished product?
Old 08-12-2006, 06:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
Premium Member

I just sent the wire down behind the HVAC and it comes out thru the E-Brake, and i just leave the ipod upside-down inside the cashtray. Didn't need to do any drilling and it looks somewhat clean
Old 08-25-2006, 06:25 AM
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions

Originally Posted by DibujoB
Ditto that...

Does this work with the 6 disk changer?
I just read on Peripheral's site that it does not work with 6-disc changers. Its either ipod or cd changer, but not both.
Old 08-25-2006, 11:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Premium Member

The 6-cd changer headunit _should_ work with the ipod2car. I believe Peripheral is talking about headunits that have an external multi-CD changer...like the ones under the passenger seat or trunk...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: iPod2Car Install