SL Member

Old 02-14-2008, 06:14 AM
SL Member

Old 02-14-2008, 01:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

It was -12 or so when we installed them again as well But at least you could pull into the heated garage, that was a life saver!

Have your friend just contact me at my email address when she is ready as well Terry. I am getting a lot of requests lately, but I will get it fit in asap!

And just to bring it up so people notice it... I list my stuff on DoctorIsotope.com, but I am not doc. I get a lot of shifter kit requests, and he gets a lot of led swap requests So for those that go there, be sure to click on my email address rather than the contact link through the site.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Hey Terry, mind sending me those vids and pics? I would like to use them on my spot on docs site...
Old 02-18-2008, 09:15 PM

For real that is carzy thet anyone has the time to do this
Old 02-18-2008, 09:49 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

it took me about an hour - an hour and a half to do just the gauges in my car. given, I messed everything else up ;p

everything being my door controls and steering wheel controls...

but i guess thats what happens when you stay up til 7 am and let your friends help lol
Old 04-22-2008, 08:50 PM

i dont feel like reading through 28 pages of posts, so i'm going ot be annoying an re-ask. where's the best place to get the lights? how many do i need? and, how much do you think this will cost me?
Old 04-22-2008, 09:01 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by danielleleee
i dont feel like reading through 28 pages of posts, so i'm going ot be annoying an re-ask. where's the best place to get the lights? how many do i need? and, how much do you think this will cost me?
From the initial post:

12) If you just want to change the illumination of the gauge cluster, you will have to change 14 LEDs. 2 for the gas gauge, 2 for the temperature gauge, 5 for the speedometer, 2 for the LCD panel, and 3 for the tachometer. The LEDs are PLCC2 sized. You can find them at any electronics supply house. I personally bought mine from www.mouser.com. Look for LEDs that have a luminous flux (brightness) of more than 100 mcd. Otherwise, your gauge cluster will look dim.
Also, personally, I bought my LED's from engifineer, and he also did my HVAC controls as well as my Steering Wheel and Door controls for me.

I believe Garage1217 does LED swaps, and I know there's someone else I'm forgetting but can't think of the name.

EDIT: Squallheart / LEDmod.com

I'm sure there's others
Old 04-22-2008, 09:13 PM

thank you for supporting my laziness. haha.
Old 04-22-2008, 09:14 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sure, not much else to do in between calls here at work lol.
Old 04-28-2008, 01:31 PM

awesome how to
Old 04-28-2008, 01:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Keep in mind a couple of things:

As far as I know (at least checking previously) Mouser does not sell the correct LEDS. They are the right package (PLCC-2), but not the right brightness. Any of us that do swaps can sell them to you and they will be the right ones. I can be reached at engifineer@gmail.com

This writeup is correct for the gauges, but it was created when there was no mod out for the HVAC circuit, so the leds were extremely dim when you swapped them to blue, white or green. I later created a mod to correct this, which is written up in the tech section here. Be sure to go with the correct year model, as the parts and layout changed a bit in 2007. You will need a kit (nothing expensive, I can shoot you one in the mail for less than a trip to Quiznos :D ) to mod the circuit on the HVAC so they will be the same brighness as the gauges.

If you have questions, I am happy to help as well. Hit me up at my email address, since I watch it more closely than the various forum inboxes.
Old 04-28-2008, 10:05 PM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

ohh.. to clarify. i support ledmod.com..
i however.. am not ledmod.com..

rawr... sleepy...
Old 11-28-2008, 02:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Trader
SL Member

dont know if it has been asked,

i really want to do this my self (not to be cheap, LOL) but i would hate to part with my cluster/HVAC for a long time as this is my daily driver

im pretty confident i can pull this off, can anyone direct me to a diy on soldering LEDs and such, also recommend a place to buy a soldering iron that would work great for me!

thanks in advance!
Old 11-28-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

There are plenty of writeups in the tech section here on doing it. Dont use the HVAC mod portion of this writeup, as it will come out extremely dim. This is before I finished the mod for the hvac circuit that you need to do to correct that. You will need the HVAC kit along with the leds.

Hit me up at engifineer@gmail.com and I can give you all the info you need, sell you the parts (At the cheapest price of anyone I know besides buying in bulk) do the work if needed, etc. If you just need info on how to do it I can help there as well.
Old 12-02-2008, 07:49 PM
SL Member

i was looking for a blue and white scheme for the gauge cluster. Which leds would I have to change to get that two-tone look?
Old 12-04-2008, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

For a two tone, if it includes different color for the lines, hash marks and numbers, you will want to use all white leds and apply a blue film to the backs of the gauge faces where you want the blue to be. If you want to order the parts or just want ,more info, email me at engifineer@gmail.com
Old 02-07-2009, 07:22 AM

I have a question for people who use the translucent vinyl/film for the multi-tone effects. During the day when the dash lights are off, are the numbers/gauges still easy to read? Normally, during the day they have a pretty good contrast with the silver gauge face and the darkened lettering (if you turn on the lights the orange is hard to see during the day). Was just wondering if the film will affect this.

Also, when changing the colors for the LCD display, is it possible to use white LEDs with a colored film there as well? (I've never looked at how an LCD is lit before) Would the film overheat and melt? I just ask because I'm not exactly sure how I want the color setup to be, and I figure it would be easier to just apply white LEDs everywhere and adjust the colors with different colored film instead of having to soder on new LEDs every time.

Quick Reply: LED Swap (Guages / HVAC)