Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2006, 04:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Music City Scions
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by ufcknockouts
god this sucks. i really want this zpi pully but people are saying its going to mess my car up. i dont want any warranty probs. i just want a fast car hahaha. im going to go for it and see what happens. you only live once.

a Dyno'ed proven 11whp and 18wtq increase for only a little over $100 dollars, Who the heck cares. Get it, and Get them while they are in, cause they sell out like they are going out of style.
Old 04-18-2006, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

There isn't even *1* 2AZ-FE that is having any problems with the ZPI crank pulley.. Until there is one, no one should worry.
Old 05-04-2006, 06:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
ScionERA
Scionetics
SL Member

Default light weight pully install

Thanks for a great step by step install post- i am ready now to go install my pully.. I can't wait to fell the accelleration.. yea- more power..
Devon
Old 05-04-2006, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Djicey702
They don't put a vibration damper on all cars just for looks !
That's correct, they don't put it on just for looks, they put it on to reduce noise.. That is the only reason they added this to the crank pulley.

The pulleys on most of the new import and smaller domestic engines have an elastomer (rubber ring) incorporated into the pulley that looks similar to a harmonic damper. The elastomer in the OEM pulley serves as an isolator, which is there to suppress natural vibration and noise from the engine itself, the A/C compressor, P/S pump, and alternator. This is what the manufacturers call NVH (Noise Vibration & Harshness) when referring to noticeable noise and vibration in the passenger compartment.

You may hear a little more noise with this pulley but it's not going to cause any engine damage.

If you look at the pulleys on some of the imports there is no rubber to be found at all. Mostly from Acura/Honda, the Nissan Altima, 1.8L Eclipse, 2.3L Fords, Chrysler 2.2L's, and 1.8L VW's, to mention a few.

NVH is variable and unique to every car. NVH will increase with the installation of an aftermarket intake and/or exhaust, for example. Think of OEM intake systems in newer cars, they use baffles and resonators in the intake to quiet all the intake noise. Aftermarket intakes eliminate these resonators and create dramatic increases in engine noise from the throttle opening and closing.

Toyota put alot more money into the intake system then they had to, the main reason: you make it quiet.. That same exact reason they put more research/engineering into the crank pulley: to reduce noise.
Old 05-17-2006, 08:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

any one have any other type of pulley
Old 06-09-2006, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

judgeing from the pictures, the original pulley did not seem to have much rubber on it
Old 06-09-2006, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

nice ride up
Old 06-24-2006, 07:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by yamaha16bw
I belive its 145 or 150 ftlbs. Check ZPI's site. Its on there.
I don't see anything on ZPI's website..

In another thread they said for the NST crank pulley it is suppose to be 110ft/lbs of torque..

Can anyone verify the correct number?
Old 06-24-2006, 07:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well, I just found it on ZPI's forum, it said 150ft./lbs,.. Does anyone know if that's correct?
Old 06-24-2006, 07:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Good how-to. Definetly wanna get this mod.
Old 07-15-2006, 04:16 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by 3min3m2
judgeing from the pictures, the original pulley did not seem to have much rubber on it
Pulley did not have much rubber on it? What are you talkin about?
Old 09-21-2006, 07:17 PM
web
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bboyizzy
any one have any other type of pulley
Agency Power...............exact same thing as ZPI.... 1.1 lb.

DON'T FORGET BLUE THREADLOCKER WHEN REINSTALLING THE BOLT!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 02:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

can anyone please tell me a way that i can get the pulley just for the crank loose with out air tools i have an impact gun..but i dont have air..long story short im guessin i can leave the belt on and just leave the car in like 3rd or 4th gear and try busting it loose i have a torque wrench to put it back on but i think get the nut loose might be a problem.. i also have blue loctite that i will be usin to put back on..can anyone help me out here?.. any suggestions on how to remove the crank pulley with no air tools..?
Old 03-18-2007, 06:01 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by LucidBD
honestly i love this thing. driving to and from work today i had some fun testing it out. i do accel faster from 1st - end of 3rd gear. also has great pick up from a 40mph drop.

LOL i havent really paid attention to the slowing down faster, i have been doing ALOT of accelerating! LOL
great product and i havent had an issue in the little time that i have had it. i really dont see a problem occuring in the future.
LucidBD, you installed the pulley about 2 years ago. It seems that we have two groups of people with two different oppinions. Just so we have an update on the facts, would you mind to post how many miles you have driven since you installed the pulley and if you have had any problems caused by it? I appreciate it.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

Bump for recent info.
Old 03-22-2007, 06:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I did alot of reading on Harmonic Balancers, and Torsional Vibration Dampers, and all sorts of crap.

I have also succesfully ran my Crank Pulley for many months now with no ill effect.

Until my engine catastrophically fails, I will support the crank pulley mod.

Theory and Text is useless without concrete evidence of engine failure in our little engines.

So I will drive my pulley, and see if my engine fails :p If it does, then I will be the first to say I was wrong. If It doesn't blow then w/e it doesnt matter, im not going to rub it in anyones faces. Not like I will be on this forum or even know anyone in this thread 300,000 miles from now.

Anyone else interested in this mod, get it. Because if you think about it, the same crap could be said for every power mod.. "Intakes cause bigger particles in your engine to blow it up" "Headers make less backpressure so your lifters will not seat properly" "Led dome lights will blind you over 10 years" "toxins in fabric will give you the illusion of going fast in hondas" etc, and lol..
Old 03-22-2007, 06:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
tC squad
SL Member

I just checked the ZPI Site, they redesigned the pulley to correct noise and torsianal blah blah blah. I wonder if that means that my engine won't blow up with v.2.0?
Old 04-27-2007, 04:09 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey guys...i am back and catching up on this thread. i hope everyone comes back to read it.

i installed this pulley back in October of 2005!

i currently have it STILL installed on my tC getting close to 2 years later.

i have not had 1 check engine light or anyone at Scion dealership say 1 word to me about it during check ups and what not. this is still my favorite engine mod

those of you who are worried about the cars warranty and messing up the engine...PLEASE READ THE FOLLOWING.

These pulleys are the SAME EXACT size in all demensions as the stock pulley...the belts are still spining the SAME DISTANCE they always have. Only now they are spinning FASTER and Easier due to the weight difference.

the other pulleys that are SMALLER in size require a SMALLER belt to go on it....this means the belt is NOT stock...and is changing the Distance and rotation of the pulley.

is this a problem?....probably not. but in the long run...i would rather have the ZPI crank pulley.

you get the saftey AND the gains.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

oh...and i have put about 17k miles on my car since i installed this pulley
Old 04-27-2007, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ My concern is that a friend made a valid point. The material which the pulley is made expand 2 to 3 times more than the material of the orignal pulley. This means that once the engine heats up, the pulley becomes slightly larger than the OEM. I wanted your testimonial just to make sure that this change in size due to expansion won't affect the engine's reliability. I guess the change is too insignificant to affect the car... I'll probably get one.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Pulley Install (ZPI, Lightweight Crank)