Notices
tC Tech and DIY Info for the Scion tC

Rear View Mirror Install (Auto Dimming)

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 07:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Rear View Mirror Install (Auto Dimming)

I finally got around to installing the auto dimming mirror today. I bought it from McGeorge Parts a few months ago. Before I began, I needed to track down the installation instructions (not sure where mine went.) I found them here. In reading through them, I found something interesting. While the original instructions had you remove the driver's side visor and A-pillar cover then tap into the fusebox, these new instructions have you tap into the overhead console and sunroof wiring. This made the installation much easier than I thought it would be. This would also allow anybody with the side air bags to install the mirror with no trouble.

This is the easiest factory accessory I've installed since the side sills. It requires only one tool really, a Torx screwdriver to tighten the screw on the mirror. The instructions are well written and easy to follow. Basically, here's how you do it:

First, you remove the stock mirror. The instructions tell you to pull it straight down to pull the complete mirror assembly off the windshield. When I did this, I pulled the mirror part off of the arm. It was still easy to pull the remaining part off of the windshield, but pulling it towards me (rather than straight down) seemed to work a little better. You then remove the overhead light assembly either using a plastic panel removal tool, or a combination of your fingers and some other kind of plastic tool (I used a plastic bicycle tire lever.) It will take a good deal of force to pull it out, and you might end up with a couple of the white plastic fasteners still attached to the roof sheet metal. Remove them with a pliers or something, but don't damage them, since you'll need them to reattach the light assembly. Disconnect the wiring harness from the light. When that's all done, this is what it will look like:

You then plug the wiring harness into the mirror, mount the mirror, tighten the screw with the Torx screwdriver, then route the wire into the headliner at the top of the windshield. There is a clip to secure the wiring to the mirror arm, and a cover that runs from the mirror mount to the headliner. It makes for a clean look when it's all done.

Once the wiring is coming out of the headliner hole, you need to attach the T-taps to the existing wiring. 2 taps go onto the overhead console harness, and one to the sunroof harness. Pull both of the harnesses out of the headliner and pull back the tape on the wires so you can work with them. Try to stagger the T-taps so they don't get all bunched up. Follow the instructions on which wires connect where. It's pretty easy if you pay attention. My wiring harness was long enough to run down to the fusebox (I don't know if new mirror kits are the same way) so I had many feet of extra wire. I decided not to cut out any of the wire, so I bunched it up with a zip tie, wrapped some foam tape around it, the shoved it into the headliner space.

Reconnect the harnesses, then reattach the overhead light assembly. Make sure your wires are all tucked into the headliner, and that they don't interfere with the clips that hold the light assembly in. I needed to give the assembly a couple of extra pushes to get it seated correctly and nice and tight. Here's a pic of everything complete:

The mirror surface itself seems bigger than the stock one. The auto-dimming feature is kind of neat - when you cover the sensor the mirror takes on a blue-ish tint. The multicolored lights are cool too, but it's not dark yet so I can only tell you they work, and not how bright they are. I haven't been successful in programming my garage door opener into it yet, but I think I need ne batteries in my transmitter.

That's it! I hope you enjoyed this how-to. Check out McGeorge Parts if you want to get a mirror of your own.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

excellent write up, jason. thanks. I originally wanted that mirror but got the side airbags. now I see that I can have both.

the instructions for installation say the sensor is forward looking, but isn't the mirror supposed to darken when there are bright headlights behind you? I don't get it.

chris
Old 02-12-2005, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The sensor facing forward is so that when it is dark outside the mirror knows the different lights (i.e. sunlight vs headlight) Also when it darkens its really cool. I have it in my car.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey bubblemyster - can you say a little more about how this thing works? When it's dark out, does your mirror stay bright except when there are headlights behind you? How dark does it get? I tend to drive with my stock mirror in "day" mode most of the time just because I like seeing behind me - does it return to normal when the bright headlights dissapear?
Old 02-13-2005, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just came back from driving around with the new mirror. It has sensors front and rear. If you are in the dark with nobody behind you, it dims, but not a lot. Then if a car shows up a ways back, it dims a little. Then, if a truck is right behind you (which would normally blind you) it dims a lot. Pretty cool.

Install took maybe 30 minutes including taking pictures.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:21 AM
5 Year Member

That install is awesome! I wanted the auto mirror but I have the side airbags so now I'm pumped that I can actually do it. Question for you though - I was going to hardwire my radar detector and figured the sunroof controls are the easiest way to do it... Do you know which colored wires are the accessory 12v and the ground from those mirror instructions? Thanks a bunch, I appreciate the help.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

How much did you pay for the mirror? Looks like everyone is selling it for a bit over $200... kinda steep, but it would be a nice toy. Someone has buy it now on ebay for 195.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I plan on wiring my radar detector as well (when I get a good one.) I see no reason that you can't tap into the same wires. The instructions pretty much tell you which is +m ground, etc., but you could also test them with a multimeter. Download the pdf and check it out. I decided not to wait to do the mirror until I had the radar detector, but now I know how to do it once I get one.

The mirror is pretty expensive, I think I paid $240 or so. If you can get it cheaper on eBay, go for it. But McGeorge will probably stand behind their parts a little better in case something is wrong with it.
Old 02-13-2005, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Damn, I knew it could be done. Great write up. It is also good to know that Toyota/Scion has figured out that it can be done with the SRS.
This makes me wonder if I should have done my hatch tint. I don't like the ting because of glare from the defrost wires. It is asethically pleasing from the outside.
I would rather have the auto mirror.
Anyone know if tint installed within the last month is removable?
Old 02-13-2005, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's somewhat surprising Scion didn't realize you could just tap into the lights from the beginning. Is there anything better about running the wires down the piller to the fuse box? It's definitely harder, but what, if any, are the upsides?
Old 02-13-2005, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't know if the "old" way of wiring turns off the mirror when you turn off the car, but I believe the "new" way of wiring keeps the mirror on all the time. I played around with it a little today, and it seems that if you don't manually turn off the ambient lighting, they will stay on even after the key is removed, door is opened and locked with the keyless remote. The mirror itself stays on as well. I suppose that the drain of the electrochromatic mirror (which uses liquid crystal, I believe) and the drain of the 3 LEDs probably amounts to virtually nothing. Can any Scion service or parts people confirm this? Is it ok to leave my amber ambient lighting on all the time?
Old 02-13-2005, 06:23 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

after the key is removed mine turns off.. DOn't know which way my car was wired. How long did it take for you to install it?
Old 02-13-2005, 06:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yo Iowagary. WHen your out in normal sunlight, the mirror looks like the stock mirror. White and plain. But when you get into the dark, say like a garage, then the mirror turns a bit green It stays that way and then when a car is behind you and you look into the mirror its soo cool. The mirror gets darker and you can tell the lights are really bright but they don't hurt your eyes. Good stuff. I espcecially love the ambient lights, I think they are called, cause I have it on like the orangie color and so it goes with the whole car. At first its wierd but after a while you get used to it. I love it on.
Old 02-13-2005, 06:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by JasonH
Install took maybe 30 minutes including taking pictures.
Old 03-31-2005, 05:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What color do the controls on the mirror glow at night? or are they not backlit
Old 04-02-2005, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

anyone doing the side view mirror replacements? i want all 3 mirrors replaced.
Old 04-02-2005, 05:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lightwarp
anyone doing the side view mirror replacements? i want all 3 mirrors replaced.
Replaced with what?

The controls on the mirror are not backlit.
Old 04-02-2005, 11:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

auto dimming ofcourse
Old 04-02-2005, 04:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by lightwarp
auto dimming ofcourse
There are no auto dimming side mirrors.
Old 04-02-2005, 08:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

bmw, mb, audi, etc all has em

Quick Reply: Rear View Mirror Install (Auto Dimming)