Center Punch

Optional:
10mm Socket with extension
Super Glue
C-Clamps/Vice
Strong Friend
Ruler

Console Removal

First and foremost remove the Yellow fuse (10,10,10,10,7.5,Yellow)in the engine bay fuse box this is the radio fuse.

Twist off your shifter ****

Start removing the center console from the of the bottom

Then from the top (Be careful not to break any clips)

Help the center console piece out by pulling your boot out of the way

Remove this clip on the bottom of the shifter assembly

Unplug your cigarette lighter plug

Now from the bottom of the remanding console work your way up till it pops out

Remove the radio/clock/ac plug from the back of the console

And you will end up with something like this

Installing Cover Components

Lay out everything in front of you for easy access

Remove the covers housing from the main console by removing Four (4) screws Two (2) On each side

Cover and housing removed

On the Left hand side (Holding the cover so it Reads "Scion") is a gear with a tension spring under it. Remove the black screw and remove the tension spring.

Remove this gear as well, save both gears for later reinstallation

Your left gearless

Now unscrew the white latch, and remove the gold leaf spring

Leaf Spring and White latch removed.

Now with the 4-40 x 3/4th screw (The Big one) Thread it in about 1/5th of the way into the hole where the white latch was. * tCover reommends using super glue to hold the screw down tight.

Just enough so the bottom of the screw head sits over the bracket when cover is closed.

Now on the right hand side remove the two gears.

Save for later reinstallation

Now remove the cover from the housing by sliding it out of its track. Make sure to pay attention to how the cover comes out as you will need to reverse this step to get it back in

Now on the right hand side you will see this little stub we need to drill this out so that we can attach the ball for the ball end link

Drill a 1/16th hole all the way threw the direct CENTER of this stub.

Screw your 2mm Screw (The flat head one) and your ball end into the freshly drilled hole. Tighten till the ball does not move.

Installing Control Unit

Now back to your housing

Grab your control unit and place it on the right side of your housing

Mark your hole and drill it out using a 7/64th drill bit

Place your 4-40 x 3/8th's screw (There is two of them left) into the back so the screw extrudes from the front

Place your control unit over the screw and using your 4-40 locknut and tighten down

And you end up with this

Insert your Z bend link rod into the top hole of the servo arm

Getting it threw requires a bit of force you might want to drill the servo hole out using a 1/16th drill bit. Don’t make it to big it needs to be snug

Notice how the position of the rod has change from the picture (2nd one above this one). This is the proper position of the rod when its all the way in correctly

Place the other end of the Z rod into the 90-degree bell crank

Grab your ball end link and thread it into the link rod. Make sure the center of the Ball end is exactly 2-5/8th's from the 90-degree bend
(Figure 8.29 In the Instructions)

Place your cover back on the proper tracks. Place your ball end link onto the ball end.

The exact measurements for this step are in the manual. I chose to eyeball it.
So I Closed the cover all the way down. And marked where my 90-Degree bell crank ended up. I drilled my 7/16th hole. Once I did that I tightened down my bell crank using the 4-40 screw and locknut. Tighten the bell crank all the way down till it cant move then slightly unscrew it just enough so it moves freely.

Install the gears making sure the plug on the bottom of the gears snaps into the cover brackets. *Note Tc cover recommends that you only install one of the tension dampers(Little tiny gear) But I have found that it closes and opens alot smoother with both.

Wiring/Fit Finish

Toggle requires a 5/8th hole

Disconnect your main radio harness (The big plug) A slice back some of the black shrink wrap (Make sure not the cut any wires) Using your red wire taps Grab your Brown Ground Wire from the radio harness and place it into an empty hole in the wire tap. Now place your Brown wire from the tcover harness into the other empty slot and crimp down the metal bridge in the middle of the tap. Do this for the Silver (Radio harness) to Silver (On tc cover) Wires and Blue (Right next to the Silver On the radio harness) to Blue(On tc cover)

Run wires above the radio

Now you need to make room for the control arm

Close the cover all the way and attempt to install, Look where the control arm is and trim that area off about 1/4th inch

Trimmed about 1/4th inch, Now reinstall your console remember to plug in your power and toggle plug into the unit and your set. From here you move on the the programming stage witch is right in the manual for you.

*Don't forget to plug the fuse back in*

You can also check out the programming video via
http://www.tcover.net/tCoverConfigTutorial.wmv

Review:
I admit at first I was one of those who said wow looks like it takes 6 hours to install that’s crazy. But after I got into it I realized its not so bad of an install. The instructions make it seem that way because every step is covered. In the package that tCover sends you comes Three (3) Red wiretaps, Zip Ties, Pre Wired toggle (A very nice one at that), Power Plug, Misc Screws, Bolts, Rods etc. I was sent version 2.0 of the tC cover the features of the tC cover Include A Show Mode, A Lock Out Mode, 5 Speed Settings & a Top & Bottom Limiter. Unlike Version 1.0 Where you would have to take everything apart to adjust the settings Version 2.0 lets you do it by using certain toggle combo's. Once you have set up everything you can enter Lock out mode by Toggling from the center up 4 times rapidly. Lock mode will lock the cover so that it will not open if you accidentally hit the toggle or turn the car off and on. This comes in handy when you get your car washed or want to hide the radio. To get out of lock mode move the toggle from the center to the bottom 4 times rapidly and it will get out of unlock mode. To enter show mode toggle from the center to the bottom 5 times rapidly. Show mode opens and closes the cover every 10 seconds or so. To get out of show mode toggle from the center to the bottom 5 time rapidly once more and you will be out of show mode. The programing instructions were a little fuzzy but other then that this was an easy install.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:27 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

OMG, FREAKING AWESOME. I WANT IT
Old 08-10-2005, 07:36 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

pretty nice. Where did you buy the kit from?
Old 08-10-2005, 07:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I got the kit from www.tcover.net ask for Scott.
Old 08-10-2005, 07:44 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

heh yeh i read the web site right after i posted. guess i shoulda looked harder before posting. but thanks for the reply!
Old 08-10-2005, 08:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Ive seen a similar situation before
Old 08-10-2005, 08:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

nice.. i like.. maybe i looked over this but does it open when you turn on your car and close when you turn off your car.. or can it do that??
Old 08-10-2005, 08:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by jbae1221
nice.. i like.. maybe i looked over this but does it open when you turn on your car and close when you turn off your car.. or can it do that??
Yes that's what it does. Or you can set it anyway you want. I gotta have one lol.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:19 PM
5 Year Member
Scion Dynasty
SL Member

it also comes with a toggle swithc so you can open and close it without the car being on..which is cool. very cool. i might buy this. I'm not very good with installing stuff like this, but on the web site there is a step by step manual with pictures. I might be able to take care of it.
Old 08-10-2005, 09:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: tCover Motorized Radio Cover DIY

Originally Posted by Kaeon
Uhm...
Old 08-10-2005, 09:48 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice write up!
Old 08-11-2005, 12:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Correct it opens when you turn it on closes when u turn it off. It has some other settings as well listed in my write up.
Old 08-14-2005, 03:45 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Will this work(fit) with a AVN 5435 double din headunit cause I am about to get it and I want this but till I do it I can't eyeball it from the pics. WIll it fit and if it does not will you guys accept a return???
Old 08-14-2005, 04:49 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Saleen0296@aol.com
Will this work(fit) with a AVN 5435 double din headunit cause I am about to get it and I want this but till I do it I can't eyeball it from the pics. WIll it fit and if it does not will you guys accept a return???
It should fit depending on if you install your head unit the wright way. The stock Radio in a tC is double din.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

drool.
Old 08-15-2005, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

im going to wait a yr, let me know if it still works after a yr of open and close.... hehehe.

I really would like to get one but just not sure if its going to hold up well in the long run. Hope it does though so i can buy it.
Old 08-15-2005, 01:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by pinoyfitness
im going to wait a yr, let me know if it still works after a yr of open and close.... hehehe.

I really would like to get one but just not sure if its going to hold up well in the long run. Hope it does though so i can buy it.
Like All my DIY'S, I will post updates...
Old 08-15-2005, 03:18 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

glad to see they keep improving it... i have the rev 1 kit.. or like rev 1.0.5 i got a new firmware that has a timer to sort of time out the servo after it has reached the full open or closed position...

what i would be afraid of is locking the cover and having someone who is use to seeing the tc door manually operated try opening it manually... hell, im afraid of that now .......... i do like the show idea...nice way to show off the mod in a show situation...

here is something i had recommended to scott as a change in the instructions.. on the factory radio harness there are 2 blue/silver wires... which is right..?? i used the lower blue/silver wire.. and kaeon use the one next to the silver wire... apperantly they are both ok to use.. but it may get alittle confusing..
Old 08-15-2005, 03:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Petem
here is something i had recommended to scott as a change in the instructions.. on the factory radio harness there are 2 blue/silver wires... which is right..?? i used the lower blue/silver wire.. and kaeon use the one next to the silver wire... apperantly they are both ok to use.. but it may get alittle confusing..
The One I used is the constant 12v Im pretty sure thats what the instructions said to use.. Hmm I will check
Old 08-15-2005, 05:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

Nice write up.... BUT isn't it a little redundant?

I installed with the Intall Guide and the Operations Guide Online at the TCover Site

http://www.tcover.net/tCover_Install_ManualComp_1_4.pdf

Hey, If you want to look at a lot of pictures, cool, but the Vendors install guide is still better IMHO.

Props for a good install... I did this in a few hours and it's all pretty... It's a good show piece, although no one knows it's there until you flip the switch.

I also fell in love with the switch that came with the kit so much, I bought 10 more exactly like it, so all my switched accesorries have the same looking switch as the TCover (Which makes it look almost OEM)

I personally didn't do a How-to, cause I thought Bridge Electronic Design did such a Kick-A job on theirs!

Quick Reply: tCover Motorized Radio Cover Install