Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

California sues major car manufacturers for global warming

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2006, 09:35 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default California sues major car manufacturers for global warming

Toyota and other vehicle manufacturers are being sued by the State of California for being responsible for global warming.

Those politicos in Sacramento must smoke some powerful stuff - or somebody slipped something in the water...again.

This is not the first time California has come up with a nuisance suit against an entire manufacturing group, or huge segment of society.

Sept 20 (Reuters) - California sued six of the world's largest automakers over global warming on Wednesday, charging that greenhouse gases from their vehicles have caused billions of dollars in damages.

The lawsuit is the first of its kind to seek to hold manufacturers liable for the damages caused by their vehicles' emissions, state Attorney General Bill Lockyer said.
More details: reuters.com/news

Tomas
Old 09-21-2006, 05:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

This is a great way to get publicity. I believe our governor is in England meeting with Tony Blair. They were going to sign some sort of global warming pact. This is probably part of the publicity.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

...too bad the manufacturers can't just refuse to sell vehicles in the state of California until the suit is settled. Without a source of new vehicles to replace those wearing out or damaged, California's economy would shut down.

It is not just the manufacturers who are responsible, especially since they are building vehicles to California emission specs. If the state says "build them to meet these requirements" and the manufacturers do, how can the state sue them for doing it???

Besides, the manufacturers are not the ones buying and running the cars in California, it is all those folks buying the cars and running them - and that includes the state. Maybe California should sue everyone with a driver's license for driving a vehicle and therefore creating polution and causing global warming - or at least sue everyone who owns a vehicle.

Yeah, it all makes sense, eh?

(A publicity stunt to get attention, a nuisance suit that will cost the manufacturers and the state bags of money and likely accomplish absolutely nothing. Remember, too, where all that money being spent comes from: The tax payers in California and drivers around the world.)

If California doesn't like the pollution level of cars, they should start by refusing to let them be used in the state. So long as they say "it is OK to use them here if you meet these requirements," they should not be able to sue the manufacturers for meeting the requirements the state set.

If California thinks the requirements need to be much, much tighter, so that only electric golf carts are legal, for example, they should outlaw everything except electric golf carts - and watch their entire economy collapse - until the politicians are lynched and the people start over with a new bunch.

(Personally I think it would be hilarious to see California without any gasoline or diesel powered vehicles running on any public road for a week. Of course, with no food or any other deliveries and 99% of people not even able to get to work, the whole place would collapse within the first few hours...)

California needs some new politicos that don't cost the rest of us every time they do something stupid. How many millions is this suit going to cost the manufacturers? Do you think they will only charge their California customers to make up that loss?

Hmmmmmm... maybe they should. Maybe all cars sold in California should be priced higher to cover the losses from state actions, AND have a special "fee" or "tax" imposed by the state to cover all those billions of dollars of costs they claim are caused by vehicles. Why take money from the rest of us?

Hmmmmm... what about out-of-state or out-of-country vehicles coming into Kalifornia? Maybe a daily charge to cover those costs based on when one enters and leaves The State and passes through the border stations? Or, even better, a charge based on emission levels per mile for each vehicle and an odometer check when entering and leaving The State. :D They would have to charge for the required emissions testing when entering, of course, and require all vehicles allowed to enter to pass the test before being allowed past the border stations. Heck, if They do this right They can even reduce tourism, which would reduce the polution problem in Kalifornia even more!

OK. I'm done for now. Time to re-enter the Real World[tm]. (Besides, something like this belongs in my blog rather than here.)

Tomas
Old 09-22-2006, 06:19 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Tomas--there you go trying to be logical again. That is NOT allowed in this state..............
Old 09-22-2006, 06:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Well... it's easy to criticize this crazy state, but try living here

I honestly don't know what they're thinking and I forgot to ask my dad about it, because he talks to my uncle a lot who's a State Assemblyman, so I hear plenty of political gossip.

I think it's just Mr. Schwarzenegger wanting money to spend on something stupid, you know, instead of taking it from the schools. Ha, because we all know he'd never do that right?

And the great thing is Mr. Schwarzenegger LOVES his Hummer(s) and I'm sure would NEVER want to see them go away...

I agree with your taxation of drivers, to a limit. Tax all the bastards who drive SUVs, they're the main problem. Or perhaps dealers should only sell cars that get 30mpg+ and anything lower than that is a no no.

And the other problem is, lots of drivers here drive crap, 60s-80's cars that have horrible emissions and most of these drivers can't get a new car due to cost and/or citizen-ship (or lack their-of)... Also we have a huge community of classic and muscle cars along with race tracks and drag strips, I'm sure these add to the pollution as well. And don’t forget Long Beach harbor, one of the busiest shipping docks in the country; tanker and cargo ships aren’t the cleanest out there.

I (as I’m sure many) believe it’s not just one thing (ie cars) that’s to blame, but a culmination of things, and if you got rid of one, you’d still need to go after the rest; And you’re right, if one or all of these get taken away, CA would most likely crumble, that is if The Big One doesn’t get us first and we sink away into the ocean.

Also CA has been a center for oil refinement and one company still has one of the largest out here.

Not much makes sense out here in California, like housing costs and uh... everything.

Oh, and I'd rock a slammed, s/c golf cart any day
Old 09-22-2006, 07:32 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Oh, and I'd rock a slammed, s/c golf cart any day
Well, they aren't SC, but the apartment complex I'm in has 6 "golf carts" with canopies, doors, and massive windows (we are in the rainy Pacific Northwest).

The office gals run around in one, and the maintenance guys use the other five.

Next time I wander down to the office and park my box next to one I should take a pic - the golf carts have less ground clearance, are taller, and are about the same width and length as my xB...

That's it! My xB is a Deluxe closed golf cart!!!

Tomas
Old 09-22-2006, 07:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I know they aren't supercharged, but I'd perfer mine to be
Old 11-18-2006, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

California is just stupid as hell.