Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...
View Poll Results: Would you buy a RWD Scion?
Yes, drifting looks fun and I want to try!
62.07%
No, I'll stick to FWD . . . (grr)
22.41%
Maybe, if I can afford it!
15.52%
Voters: 116. You may not vote on this poll

Dear Scion: Give us RWD!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2005, 06:29 AM
5 Year Member

I like RWD but I actually wanted to say that drifting doesn't appeal to me at all. RWD would be great for launches and for handling, and i know it's gone out of style in sport compacts, but i'd really like to see a RWD scion!

In my opinion, a RWD, manual transmission, 2-door xA varient would sell very well. I would absolutely love to get into one.

no need to give it too much power, 140-150hp would be plenty! and try to keep it lightweight and fuel efficient as well. think of it as a lightweight RWD celica only a little smaller and more of a hatchback than a sport/notchback.

I would love to see that!

please excuse the old thread bump, but I miss RWD toyotas, and what better place to start bringing it back than with Scion!
Old 08-06-2005, 01:52 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Cashus- Good points. I'm really into the 1970-1986 Toyotas. I think Toyota really has drifted from a light zippy, fun to drive vehicle into more of a zzzzzzzz. Sad. I will never drive anything but a Toyota (or, ah, Scion/Lexus), I just wish we had more options in the sporty segment. Event if it is a 25k to 30k vehicle. I don't think they have any sports-like vehicles at that price point. Build it with the Avalon's 3.5L, in a RWD platform. Nice. It will be interesting to see Scion in ten years. All of the owners will be looking for their second car, they will be making more money, and be looking for the next form of EXPESSCION.

At this point, anyone from Scion reading this is thinking ... but a RWD TC-styled vehicle could compete (and smoke) something like a 3-series BMW.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:54 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

PS- Drifting isn't the reason I want a RWD vehicle. I race Solo II. A rwd vehicle has handling characteristics that make for a more pleasurable driving experience (as long as it isn't snowing).
Old 08-08-2005, 05:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

i attended the FormulaD drift event here in Chicago this past weekend...
it was a great time, especially since it was held right by the lakefront. the sad part of the whole thing was the lack of any 'import' backing. the big Mopar and Ford trucks just didn't look right at a drift event, let alone the absence of any Toyota/Nissan/Honda trucks.

i agree with previous posts -- Scion bring a RWD model.

yes, there are 80s and 90s used japanese models out there -- but some are now approaching 20years of age and beyond. can't be too many left out there.
having a RWD Scion, i believe, would foster a new grassroots motorsports following - be it drifting or autocrossing. of course, this would mean Scion entering the world of drifting competition. so the old slogan "race/drift on sunday, buy on monday" might actually work. plus, it would still encourge customization.

13k - 14k: xA
14k - 15k: xB
15k - 16k: RWD Scion
16k - 17k: tC

there's room in the line up.

raúl...
Old 08-16-2005, 04:04 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

Point taken. I remember going to car shows in the 90's where lowered Civics were parked under super-lifted domestic trucks. Didn't look right. Especially at a drift event. Has anyone ever been to a solo II event.

For more info on what a solo II event is, check www.scca.org OR www.solo2.com for more info on what the heck it is. Good crowd, fun times!
Old 08-31-2005, 03:06 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

personally i think RWD cars are making a comeback in the market and toyota shouldn't be left out. They have better handling than FWD cars because the wheels that are steering the car are not the wheels that are moving the car. Anyway if toyota won't give us RWD aftermarket companys will. For example aftermarket company's make RWD kits for the ford focus.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:29 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I'm thinking more like a RWD sedan. Imagine a Corolla-sized sedan with RWD... a "mini" IS300, if you will. Available two ways: stripped BARE (race version) for cheap and loaded up per Scion's standard package. Imagine if you could buy the super-basic no-radio, no-AC, no power, etc... for like $10,000 and the regular version for like $15,000. Sounds fun to me!
Old 09-01-2005, 02:38 AM
5 Year Member
Team ScioNRG

The Focus conversion is interesting ... and since the Focus can accept AWD, there is more room designed into the rear of the vehicle to accomodate the rear diff asy. I saw it when it debuted at SEMA in Vegas. A guy built the first RWD Focus & documented his project. Then Ford Racing Development came out with a conceptual kit that you could buy to convert your Focus to a RWD vehicle.

A mini IS300 is a good picture in my mind. I think this conceptual car we are talking about should have some Miata-like handling characteristics (but have a freaking roof).
Old 09-01-2005, 03:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Want something fun, lightweight, and RWD? why not get a miata?
Old 09-01-2005, 06:33 PM
5 Year Member

I would luv to buy a RWD Scion, esp w/ tC styling. The three things that I dont like about my car is drive-by-wire, fat-a$$ weight class, and FWD. A stripped down IS would be OK but I would still prefer a 2-dr hatchback. And while the glass top is cool and ALL THAT DAMN EXTRA STEEL is nice, I would really rather my tC was much lighter w/ RWD. If Scion/Toyota needs to cut down on features to keep price down, that'd be fine by me.
Old 12-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Agreed!
Old 12-28-2005, 04:45 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Dag, a bump from the grave!
Old 12-28-2005, 04:50 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Yeah, this one was going to get deleted... I thought it worthy of a rehash.
Old 12-30-2005, 03:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

If its rear engined and convertible, count me in
Old 12-30-2005, 04:35 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Convertible would be nice, but even if it is RWD and a hardtop I am interested.
Old 12-30-2005, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i heard at school (toyota) that they are bring back the rear wheel drive corolla gts with the 20 valve engine.
man i hope so id also love to see the is300 stripped to the point of a true drifter as said on pg onethat would be sweet...!
Old 12-30-2005, 05:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

man wouldnt rwd go great tho less tire wear better handiling less wear on brakes just too many good things!
Old 01-04-2006, 02:26 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Exclusive
SL Member

Dear Toyota, please keep your less expensive cars affordable and easy to care for by keeping them FWD.
Old 01-04-2006, 02:33 PM
Banned
SL Member

Uh no
My Xa is light enough as it is add snow and no weight on the rear wheels to speak of and your talking bigger odds of ending up in the ditch or getting stuck
BTW im an old school racer rwd is it but then again if you want to race, or practice semi controlled loss of traction why did you buy a scion?
Old 01-07-2006, 06:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ive wanted a rwd toyota for a while now, im thinking about getting a cressida or a older gs300, i really want a 4 door RWD, scion should really make one

Quick Reply: Dear Scion: Give us RWD!