Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

HIDs (High Intensity Discharge) Xenon Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 02:53 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default HIDs (High Intensity Discharge) Xenon Headlights

I think this is something everyone wishes came as an option on Scions, and some people are modifying their vehicles themselves to take HIDS. The problem is in the United States it is illegal to put HIDs on a vehicle that is not certified for them. Please offer HIDs as a factory option and get it certified, this would be an accessory well worth it- much more worth it than fog lights!

The xenon bulb provides more than twice the amount of light of a halogen bulb. While one consuming half the power(wattage). Therefore, the driver can see more clearly, and the car has more power for other functions .Moreover, it is environmentally friendly, as less power means less fuel consumption.

The clear white light produced by the xenon bulb is similar to daylight. Research has shown that this enables drivers to concentrate better.Furthermore, this particular light color reflects the road markings and sighs better that conventional lighting. In practical terms, the life span of the bulb is equal to that of the car, which means that bulb need only replaced in exceptional cases. Not only that, but it just looks cool! People know you have a quality car when they see you have HID headlights, the trouble is it blinds people if it is not setup correctly which is why Scions need to get certified and offer this as a factory option.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I agree. Projectors and HID's would be a fine addition to the tC. I would love such an option to be available. It looks sweet on the Mazda3 and it would look sweeter on the tC. This should be a no brainer to Scion.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:07 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

C'mon Scion!
Old 07-21-2005, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member

I'll be the first online if they would offer it as an option.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by fromos
C'mon Scion!
Oh, please Scion Gods grant us OEM HIDs

Seriosly, let's get a petition started and send it off to Toyata/Scion. I'm sure they'll listen.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

im in for HIDs for Scions.....

even though i have them on my xb already
Old 07-28-2005, 07:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

yeah factory option and Scion will charge us up in our ying yangs
Old 08-04-2005, 04:28 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Scikotics
SL Member
Scinergy

One thing people don't consider however is the distance of illumination on HID's.

I agree I think they are Great and would love a set BUT, HID lighting doesn't travel as far as the halogen lighting(Distance ahead of the car on the road). There have been many studies that prove this. Toyota might be going by those studies. Maybe they just didnt' want to add to the price of the inexpesive vehicle by adding a system that a lof of people don't like?

Just a thought.................
Old 08-04-2005, 06:01 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

How far ahead do you need to see? ;)
My friend has OEM HIDs on his STi and I dont think I've ever noticed them not illuminating as far as Halogens, even on those long highway trips at night. and if thats the case just have a halogen Highbeam, if you need to see really far ahead you shouldn't have anyone in front of you.
Old 08-04-2005, 06:37 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My 06 tC stock headlamps are bright as hell. The hi-beams are extremely bright. I see no need to upgrade to HID systems. I agree they are sweet looking, but I'd prefer to spend money on something else.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

This has to be the #1 mod I see being done, and it isn't even legal!
Old 11-17-2005, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What would this cost, $2000? Could'nt turbo be thrown on for that price?
Old 11-17-2005, 01:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It'd be a nice option so n00bs like me can get them installed instead of doing it ourselves and screwing everything up.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by GoSwim
Originally Posted by fromos
C'mon Scion!
Oh, please Scion Gods grant us OEM HIDs

Seriosly, let's get a petition started and send it off to Toyata/Scion. I'm sure they'll listen.

not just god, but SCION itself!
Old 12-18-2005, 08:07 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yes H.I.D.'s are illegal, but how the hell are they gonna know its illegal? what, u get pulled over because ur lights arent aimed low enough? anyway, i think Toyota/Scion should grow some hair on their ***** and man up to ATLEAST offering the option of getting them. Just like the uglyass spoiler that they made for it, H.I.D.'s should also be an option. I would diffinately get them. C'mon Scion!!!
Old 12-23-2005, 02:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I don't see it happening.

Unfortunately it has two very big un-Scion like things going against it.

1) They are expensive and would raise the price of the car for something of questionable value

2) They would have to be an option, which unecessarily complicates the simplicity of the Scion business model

Scions will continue to be sold in one spec as it keeps production costs down, so I wouldn't expect to see many options offered that cannot be easily installed at the dealer, such as your silly wings and light kits etc.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

HIDs would/could be a 4-600 dollar option. That's the cost it is for most cars that have it as an option. Give it projectors, and you'd have an audience.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:12 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

I thought Scions were about Customization not "They can have any color they want, as long as it's black."
Old 01-23-2006, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

About the price and business model- like Rivulent said, HIDs are generally about a $400-$600 option on other new cars not $2000. Scion has plenty of other expensive options: custom rear lights for $375, fog lights for $425, spoiler for about $400, auto dimming mirror for $310, and sport steering wheel for $279- MANY people are paying for them and NONE of them are wanted as bad as HIDs. Not to mention scion also has a ground effects kit for $995, optional wheels for $1500, and a muffler for $525 among other ultra expensive options. Go to hidretro.com and you'll see they have no shortage of people willing to overpay for HID retrofits done properly.

Secondly, people do get caught with illegal HIDs all the time. The police are well versed on the laws and know which cars should have HIDs and which shouldn't. And around certain hours of the night such as bar closing time they will pick out any reason to pull someone over. At which point they force you to pay to take out your expensive HIDs and put in regular bulbs or stop driving your car. Scion should not be putting their tuner/customization/enthusiast crowd customer base in this type of situation. Not to mention that there are plenty of cheaper vehicles that have them- Toyota Matrix, Nissan Altima/Maxima, Ford Focus, Mazda3, Audi A4/A6/TT, etc.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

They can at least make it an accessory. They have some $267ugly tail lights that are an accessory. They can make make some 600 HID Headlights that are an accessory.

Quick Reply: HIDs (High Intensity Discharge) Xenon Headlights