Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

"New" vehicle mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2005, 04:20 AM
5 Year Member

Default "New" vehicle mileage?

I picked up my 2005 TCM xB on July 30th 2005 and drove it off the lot happy as could be. Then, I read the manual and learned how to use the trip odometer and toggle between vehicle miles & trip, so I played with it and realized the trip was on when I picked up the car. It read 6 miles when I left the lot. The odometer, however, was actually 453 miles! That's almost 1/2 of the break-in period. So, I called Scion and they said a dealer can sell a Scion with under 500 miles as "new", but the laws vary by state. They said they drive them between dealerships and the miles are unavoidable. I'm still happy with the car and Scion sent me bunch of free stuff for telling my story, but I'm curious how often this happens.

Has anyone else had this experience with mileage over what you'd expect (>100) picking up a new car?
Old 09-17-2005, 06:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Im not sure if I would be happy with about 500 miles of me not knowing how my car was driven. Those miles could have all been at red line & you will pay the price down the road. I got my scion with about .4 miles on it IIRC. Good luck & hope you like your scion
Old 09-20-2005, 03:00 AM
5 Year Member

Thanks for the reply....my only reply.

And, to clarify, my concerns are purely for info only. I love the box and I have no reason to believe the car suffered any abuse during the miles it had on it when I got it. It drives tight, runs great and I have no complaints so far. It's actually getting unusually high mileage now that I put the AEM CAI on it.?.

I called Scion about this and with my VIN number, they told me it was unloaded off the boat on June 20th '05 and I bought it on July 30th. I'm guessing it was moved from dealer to dealer on I-5 until it landed where I bought it in Corvallis, Oregon. Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:37 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Your paperwork should have an odometer statement in it somewhere. Mine is a small pink form that says "ODOMETER DISCLOSURE STATEMENT" on it. If the mileage on there does't match up with what is on your odo, I'd give them hell.

My 2005 xB has 85 miles on it, and I know where all those miles came from--It arrived at the port of Houston, then went to Galveston, and then was transferred from that dealer (when I placed the order) to my local one here in Baytown.

If you're otherwise happy with it and the ODO form you had to sign actually says the right mileage, then keep it. If not, give them hell. 453 miles just seems like a lot to still be sold a 'new' car. Most places would sell that as a 'program' or a 'demo' car.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the last one I bought (the white one) had 900something miles on it (!), almost a thousand. Dealership (Palmers Toyota in Mobile - always better than the morons at Springhill) made no effort to mention that and even acted a little "so? and?" when I found out and about had a heart attack. THEN, tried to let it just slide by as if no big deal - had to insist they retype the sales contract (paid cash) so that it stated what the mileage at purchase was.

Still not real happy that I paid 16.6k for the damn thing and it had had the snot driven out of it by someone already.

Still feel like maybe I got f*cked somewhere. That's ok though I guess. I'll get over it (though I shouldn't, those bastards) - and so will you XBbeliever
Old 10-11-2005, 02:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

My car had 230ish miles on it when I bought it...I was not a happy camper when I saw that.
Old 10-14-2005, 07:52 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine had 4 miles.
They said it came from an inspection and a fill up at the gas station.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:23 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I was going to refer you to an earlier thread on this question that I started when I got my new xB with 918 miles on it at the end of January, but all those older threads have been deleted.

Wish I could remember some of the details. *sigh*
Old 10-18-2005, 03:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I know that if I bought an xB and drove it for 400 miles and took it back, they wouldn't take it back as a "new" car. Although they may be able to sell it as that. Every dealership I have been to to buy a new car HAS SHOWN me the pink mileage papers and it was signed and dated. This has happened on 4 cars in 3 different states, so it is probably a law that this procedure is done. They should have shown you the mileage statement during the paperwork signing.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:44 PM
5 Year Member

you should of been asked to sign a slip saying the actual care milege no?

thats your evidence find it.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow... that is insane 400+ miles? I would just leave or wait for another. Mine had 3miles
Old 12-09-2005, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My xA had 2 miles when I got it, but picked up another 50 when I drove it home that afternoon.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:36 PM
Banned
SL Member

10 miles on mine when i got it
thought this thread was about the crappy mpg i get (28 mpg)
Old 12-11-2005, 02:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine had less than 1.

Factory > Trailer > Boat > Trailer > dealer > me.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine had 6.

Wow, hundreds of miles? Maybe was a demonstrator?

I did demo an xB for 12 miles. It was at a remote lot so the saleman and I took a new Corolla to pickup the xb. I got to try it on surface streets and freeways! How cool!

OT, I was dead set on a stick until this test drive. Pretty responsive these new ECT trannys. And mine is even better suited as its learning my driving style.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:12 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine had 8 miles on the clock.

I wouldn't and have never accepted a new car with more than 15-20 miles on it, max.

IMO a car with more than 100 miles on it, is a USED car or a demo and it should be priced accordingly. 100 miles is a lot of punks taking test drives. The first 100 miles are the critical part of an engines break-in. That is the time when the valves seat etc. I would not want a car that I did not break-in properly myself, ESPECIALLY not at a new car price. Funk that!