Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

Scion introducing the FT-86 @ NY auto show

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

Default Scion introducing the FT-86 @ NY auto show

For those that haven't heard:
http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2011/04...i-concept.html

Toyota has been teasing us with its upcoming compact rear-wheel drive sports car since the original FT-86 concept at the 2009 Tokyo Motor Show, which was followed up by the FT-86 G Sports study a year later at the same show, and more recently, by the almost production-ready FT-86 II concept in Geneva. Now it’s time to get our first glimpse of the North American version of the FT-86 that will be marketed under the Scion brand. Even though the Japanese firm’s North American subsidiary only makes word of a new Scion Concept to be revealed at the New York International Auto Show on April 20, 2011, without giving any further details, the car shadowed in the teaser video below leaves few doubts that the model in question is the FT-86.
The actual production version of the rear-wheel drive sports coupe that will be powered by a Subaru-sourced 2.0-liter boxer engine linked to a 6-speed manual gearbox, is expected to go on sale in late 2012.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

Official yesterday FR-S concept aka FT-86
www.sciondimension.com
Old 04-22-2011, 01:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice to see them moving away from the angular lines. Maybe they got a new design group....one not obsessed with c-pillars the size of a bus.
Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 PM
SL Member

Looks like I'll own a Scion again in the future. I truly hope they change the design to look more like the Concept 1 though. I like the simple, racey look of Concept 1. This latest design looks like a Supra had sex with a Ferrari... and I don't say that in a good way.

Things they did right:
wheel base
aero dynamics
massive braking system
cool headlights
cool tails
cool profile

things they did wrong:
2.0L engine
boxer engine
20" wheels
funky front bumper
weird spoiler rear bumper thingy
stupid "SCION" TBL advertisement
Old 04-22-2011, 11:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Just curious...whats wrong with a boxer motor?
Old 04-22-2011, 11:33 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by XIEmperorIX
Just curious...whats wrong with a boxer motor?
They should throw a 2JZ in there and call it a day. LOL.

Honestly, I'm more upset at the size than the actual engine design. Boxers aren't bad - lower center of gravity is a good thing but its too small for my taste. I could understand that they're trying to fit the tradition of Scion (afforable cars with good MPG and small engines).

I would perfer at least 2.5L NA (like the tC). We'll see, maybe they'll turbo it. If not then I see EJ25 swaps in this cars future.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Lol 2jz would be pretty sick. All we can do is wait really...personally I am not holding my breath.
Old 04-23-2011, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

you all have to know by now it won't look anything like that. it has a 5Axis bodykit on it so that's already out of the question for looks.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

Still have a ways to go. Curious to see how it will end up looking as it gets closer to production. I do see myself behind the wheels of this thing!
Old 04-24-2011, 09:52 PM
SL Member

Originally Posted by JDMJim
you all have to know by now it won't look anything like that. it has a 5Axis bodykit on it so that's already out of the question for looks.

How does that play a role exactly? I thought it was under Toyota schematics and just given to 5 Axis for 'special ordering?'

The Scion Fuse has strong curvature to the new tC design. The Fuse was build by 5 Axis.

Originally Posted by RICANTC
Still have a ways to go. Curious to see how it will end up looking as it gets closer to production. I do see myself behind the wheels of this thing!

Same here. This will replace my current daily (IS300) and I doubt I'll 'track' the car so I'm looking for the top of the line trim: nav, leather, power everything, etc, etc.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:58 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Exactly. We've been teased for decades with great concepts only to have the powers that be tame it down for general consumption.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The design looks great. I would hope they would either stick with the same engine as the second gen TC or something bigger since it is newer. Hell if the mustang can get better gas mileage and alot more horsepower stock then it would be nice to see a better engine be put in with the respecting horsepower it deserves. I will be curious to see what happens with this but with how the economy is I wont be holding out....unless i get more pictures lol
Old 04-27-2011, 03:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

well, 200hp is already out of the game with Chevy, Ford and Hyundai's V-6 horsepower war
Old 04-27-2011, 03:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't complain about the power if the production vehicle looked exactly like the concept. There is always aftermarket for power.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

This car's focus is handling and fun to drive. Brute power is not the goal of this car, eventhough there will be a lot of aftermarket support. Remember this car was built on the idea of the AE86 which had little power but awesome handling and weight distribution.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I personally like small low power cars exactly for a fun challenging drive. but there are reasons for companies like Honda stoking the F20C in the S2000. There are reasons for Mercedes and BMW to build cars with more power. THere is a reason the Mustang V-6 is 305hp. This is America....slow light cars are not good sellers. no torque, bad sales. It's economics. Otherwise, the Miata would still be 120hp.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:06 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

So will it be a Scion? Toyota? But they promised power at the rear, MT, 2.0 and prob a 2.0 boost as well. What's the price tag gonna be??
Old 04-28-2011, 04:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

1UP Crew
SL Member

Originally Posted by chicagokid
So will it be a Scion? Toyota? But they promised power at the rear, MT, 2.0 and prob a 2.0 boost as well. What's the price tag gonna be??
Yes here in US will be Scion. Yes its a 2.0L boxer engine. Yes power to the rear either with a MT 6speed or auto 6speed with paddle shifters and a LSD. No boost. Price still not official but can be expected around 20k. Boost might be option on the subaru version.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I'm sticking to my guns and guessing $30K
Old 05-02-2011, 01:22 AM
SL Member

Originally Posted by RICANTC
This car's focus is handling and fun to drive. Brute power is not the goal of this car, eventhough there will be a lot of aftermarket support. Remember this car was built on the idea of the AE86 which had little power but awesome handling and weight distribution.
THIS:
I personally like small low power cars exactly for a fun challenging drive. but there are reasons for companies like Honda stoking the F20C in the S2000. There are reasons for Mercedes and BMW to build cars with more power. THere is a reason the Mustang V-6 is 305hp. This is America....slow light cars are not good sellers. no torque, bad sales. It's economics. Otherwise, the Miata would still be 120hp.
Agreed. slow, under-powered cars were fine 20 years ago. I'm certain the boxer will be boost'd or otherwise I'd buy a Genesis coupe. I just hope Scion doesn't offer different trims like the Hyundai Genesis (i.e. 2.5L NA, 2.0L NA, 2.0L FI, etc). Different trims give me headaches.

IMO, aftermarket capabilities will be a hit or miss depending on the retail price. For example, some consumers will not want to pay for expensive TRD products to get a few more ponies (i.e. TRD supercharger) after paying $25K at the dealer. On the other hand, if the price is lowered and a plethora of aftermarket TRD parts are available then perhaps this can get Scion back on the playing field.

I'm sticking to my guns and guessing $30K
26K for 'base'
31K for leather, nav, 'sports package'

Quick Reply: Scion introducing the FT-86 @ NY auto show