Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

Scion looks to possibly double product lineup

Old 03-20-2008, 07:31 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Scion looks to possibly double product lineup

Acording to to Detroit News and Bloomberg, each who had interviews with scion VP Jack Hollis, say Scion is considering adding as many as 3 new vehicles to the Scion lineup, including the toyota iQ which debuted at the franfurt auto show, other options the scion brand is exploring includes a "youth truck," and a "youth SUV."
Read the News articles below.

March 19 (Detroit News) Toyota looks to double youthful Scion lineup
The head of Toyota's youth-oriented Scion division said the company may double its product lineup, adding as many as three new vehicles in the next few years.
March 19 (Bloomberg) -- Toyota Motor Corp. is considering additions to its lineup of youth-oriented Scion vehicles to win over a wider range of U.S. buyers, the brand's chief said.

``Should it be a youth truck, a youth SUV, an environmental car, a smaller car? We're studying right now to see which would be the greatest priority,'' Jack Hollis said in an interview today at the New York International Auto Show. ``There are more leading-edge people we can attract that may not be attracted yet to these first three products.''

Toyota has been vague about whether it would eventually expand the Scion lineup, previously saying it was content with three models. Still, the company will keep targeting ``trend- setting'' customers with Scion rather than aiming only for higher sales volume, Hollis said.

``If we want to grow, we need to do it through other offerings, and we are studying that pretty heavily,'' he said. One of those may include the iQ, a two-door minicar unveiled in Japan late last year, he said.

Scion now has the youngest average U.S. buyer, with a median age of 30, Hollis said today at a press conference to unveil the Hako, a two-door concept car with a squared-off roof and windshield.

``The Hako coupe is one of many concepts we are considering for the brand,'' Hollis said.
Old 03-20-2008, 07:57 AM

10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SoCal tC Club
SL Member
Team N.V.S.
Scinergy
Scion Evolution

yea... i kinda knew they were pushing for a larger line-up.. but i wouldn't hold my breath just yet for the iQ.. as much as i'd love to see that car in the states.

hey Mr. Hollis! iQ! yayy! come on!! wooo!
Old 03-20-2008, 11:33 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

slammed on the ground cambered out iq
Old 03-20-2008, 11:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yea its gonna be awhile for those models to hit the lineup (2+3 years) but the haku was hideous imo axe that one.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

plain jane cars like the tC might sell in high volume but toyota doesnt need scion to be like everyone else , they need extreme , eye catching , interesting , ugly , gorgeous , out there , practical , cheap , versatile cars.

they don't need scion to be boring , if all scions were like tc's not too many youths would get into scions to later get into toyota's.

the tC isn't a bad car BUT it's plain and unfortunately MANY MANY ricers own the cars and are ruining different aspects of the brand , and car culture.
Old 03-20-2008, 11:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Scion iQ should be a Go. It makes sense.

Hako should be a Go if priced right.

I can see a youth oriented truck, but a youth oriented SUV seems redundant. Doesn't the xB already fit that category?
Old 03-21-2008, 12:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my near future hopes
#1 IQ (to be entry /smart 4/2 competition)
#2 bB /materia as line up extension (keep New xB)
#3 open deck type truck
#4 xD gets replaced by IQ /materia
#5 tc replaced with ae86 concept

Old 03-21-2008, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by richmond2000
my near future hopes
#1 IQ (to be entry /smart 4/2 competition)
#2 bB /materia as line up extension (keep New xB)
#3 open deck type truck
#4 xD gets replaced by IQ /materia
#5 tc replaced with ae86 concept

Agree except that I like the xD and the IQ would not be a suitable replacement at all and I say f*ck the new xB. Give us the smaller Japanese one we should have had in the first place. If people want a 3000 lb FWD minivan they can buy a Sienna.
Old 03-21-2008, 05:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Excuse me? Replace the xD when it just came out? I think not! Get rid of the xB all together, the new one is not that good imho. They need new body styles more than anything to bring back the spice to Scion. Also pick better paint colors lol.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:18 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default whatever whatever.

Toyota should use the Scion brand to test out an all-electric hybrid fleet. Preferably start with the xB2 which has the room below the rear seats and storage areas to keep the batteries.

Or they should just release the supercharger for the xB2 already.

Okay seriously,...they should move the A-Bat down to the Scion brand, with the hybrid system. If any vehicle would fit the bill of limited production experimental design, the A-Bat certainly is it. This would allow Toyota to sell the vehicle under the wild design to test the market for super-compact trucks.

Old 03-21-2008, 06:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

they need new body styles? lol. the xB and xD are less tha 1 model year old.

the tc's death should have been 07 but nope
Old 03-21-2008, 06:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: whatever whatever.

Originally Posted by 808-213-503
Toyota should use the Scion brand to test out an all-electric hybrid fleet. Preferably start with the xB2 which has the room below the rear seats and storage areas to keep the batteries.

Or they should just release the supercharger for the xB2 already.

Okay seriously,...they should move the A-Bat down to the Scion brand, with the hybrid system. If any vehicle would fit the bill of limited production experimental design, the A-Bat certainly is it. This would allow Toyota to sell the vehicle under the wild design to test the market for super-compact trucks.

As great as that would be that would never happen, first of all a truck of the a-bats size alone would be hard to keep under 20,000, make it a highbrid yeah right, im guessing the abat would start around close to 30,000 at least if it were put into production. Besides i think the a-bat would fit better in the toyota, or prius line if they made one.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The trend is having Scion dealerships independent of the Toyota dealerships, and to survive they have to diversify their product lines or they will die. For now they have been too dependent on the Toyota dealers.

A highbred or electric vehicle would fit nicely.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: whatever whatever.

They only need to adjust in micro increments. The A-Bat is only 2" taller, 5" wider and 15" longer than the xB2.

They just need to adjust the front window angle closer to the vertical and push the cabin forward 10" to shorten the length of the vehicle. If they narrowed the width of this baby, the A-Bat could fit in an 8' wide compact stall. If you lowered the A-Bat 2", it would be quality stuff man.

Or they could offer the xB2 in a hybrid system for $1500 more and it would sell like hotcakes. That's my guess.

Originally Posted by nameless_ak
As great as that would be that would never happen, first of all a truck of the a-bats size alone would be hard to keep under 20,000, make it a highbrid yeah right, im guessing the abat would start around close to 30,000 at least if it were put into production. Besides i think the a-bat would fit better in the toyota, or prius line if they made one.