Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

Toyota responsible for Scion Identity Crisis?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 06:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

Default Toyota responsible for Scion Identity Crisis?

Scion is breaking many of its original beliefs like not radically changing each generation's styling, over-saturating the market, and adding more than three models to the brand's lineup, but it may be the parent company's fault...

http://scionundergroundpodcast.wordp...ions-troubles/
Old 08-12-2008, 06:48 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I wouldn't blame it all on Toyota... and I really wouldn't compare Scion to Saturn... I mean, I can see some similarities in sprouting off a new brand and all, but no. They're not the same. Yet...

I never heard anything of limiting production numbers for Scion... that would just be stupid for any car maker that is selling cars. It's possible it was an initial idea, but I don't know.

Currently there are NOT more than 3 models. I've always understood that as being 3 models in production at any one time... which we are still at. Of course if they do really add another vehicle, that will go down the tubes... but we'll see. And there's no way Scion could stop companies from using the boxes as company vehicles... if anything, it's good exposure.

And IMO, the tC is well beyond it's product cycle. They should have stopped making tCs last year (no 2008 model) and started selling again this year with a new 2009 vehicle. That would have followed the original 3 yr plan and kept on par with the xA/xB changes. Now they're just stretching it out further and further.

Even if we get a tC replacement announced this year, it won't be out until next year. So there's ANOTHER year delay.

IMO, the tC replacement is a make it or break it situation for Scion as a whole. They would still sell cars, for sure... but if the replacement fails in their demographic, then they would end up as another Saturn.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

I'll break everything down...

Originally Posted by ack154
I never heard anything of limiting production numbers for Scion... that would just be stupid for any car maker that is selling cars. It's possible it was an initial idea, but I don't know.
When did you buy your tC? I bought mine in January 06, and had been researching them since their release. If I remember correctly, several of the Scion catalogs specifically talked about how Scion did not want the brand to become common and how they were limiting sales to under a certain amount per year. It's the primary reason why Scion buyers back then had to choose up to 3 different colors, because you may or may not have been able to get one outfitted specifically the way you wanted. There just weren't enough. I waited nearly a month to pick up a manual BSP.

The whole purpose of Scion is NOT to sell cars, but bring more customers to the Toyota family as a whole. Even Jack Hollis mentions this. As many analysts have mentioned, Toyota was already one of the leading car manufacturer's in the world. Everything about Scion is engineered to make the buyer a brand loyalist. Look at the logo, it's very similar to Toyota. The Name Scion means descendant, or progeny, which references that Scion is a direct product of Toyota. Even the aftermarket parts gear you towards Toyota. Lexus has L-Tuned, yet Scion still has TRD. By being so involved with their customer base, throwing lots of events, and helping to create the Scion community, they've developed what they hope is a lifelong relationship between you and Toyota. That's not an accident.

Currently there are NOT more than 3 models. I've always understood that as being 3 models in production at any one time... which we are still at. Of course if they do really add another vehicle, that will go down the tubes... but we'll see. And there's no way Scion could stop companies from using the boxes as company vehicles... if anything, it's good exposure.
If you read the article, several high up Scion figures including Jack Hollis, VP of Scion, and Scion's Corporate Manager said more models are coming... 2 in fact.

In reference to companies using xB's as advertisement vehicles, it is NOT good exposure. Did you read the article about Scion's Image being in a state of flux? Scion's losing ground with it's demographic. The average buyer of an xD and xB is well over 24. The whole purpose of Scion is to attract new customers who otherwise would never look at buying a camry or corolla because they're so run of the mill. By Scion making so many units, and people buying them to advertise, they've helped push Scion's target demographic away. There's nothing cool, hip, and edgy, about a RE/MAX truck...

And IMO, the tC is well beyond it's product cycle. They should have stopped making tCs last year (no 2008 model) and started selling again this year with a new 2009 vehicle. That would have followed the original 3 yr plan and kept on par with the xA/xB changes. Now they're just stretching it out further and further.

Even if we get a tC replacement announced this year, it won't be out until next year. So there's ANOTHER year delay.

IMO, the tC replacement is a make it or break it situation for Scion as a whole. They would still sell cars, for sure... but if the replacement fails in their demographic, then they would end up as another Saturn.
They've already failed. The tC has garnered the "girl's car" stamp, and that's detrimental to their primary demographic. The shows and magazines that Scion advertises in are aimed at males. They've more or less lost that battle already. [/i]
Old 08-13-2008, 02:48 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SoCal tC Club
SL Member

More proof that the initial intent for Scion was to be exclusive and that the continual high sales are BAD for the brand:

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/11/12/s...sales-in-2007/

http://www.usatoday.com/money/autos/...ion-usat_N.htm

Could we sell more cars tomorrow if we put an ad in Newsweek and USA TODAY? Yeah, we probably could, but that's not why we're here."

Templin says the strategy is in line with the Scion brand's goal of taking risks, even if it means occasionally falling flat on your face.

"Someone asked me the other day (what) I wanted to do this year, and I said 'I want to fail more.' "
Old 09-09-2008, 07:21 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Templin says the strategy is in line with the Scion brand's goal of taking risks, even if it means occasionally falling flat on your face.

"Someone asked me the other day (what) I wanted to do this year, and I said 'I want to fail more.' "
It seems he may be getting his wish, at least for right now...