Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

whats with the fwd cars

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2005, 12:08 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Simple. FWD is easier to package and allows for roomier interiors, its cheaper to build and offers better traction in poor weather. It also eliminates the problem of dangerous understeer which can get inexperienced/average drivers into trouble at the traction limit.

It's alot more practical than RWD. RWD advantage is handling in performance driving and no torque steer, but most people don't drive that way and economy cars certainly aren't intended for it.

It doesn't make alot of sense from a business standpoint for Toyota to make the xb, xa or tc RWD since they have ready-made FWD drivetrains in spades and most people who buy them either don't care, or actually prefer FWD. You have to see it from their standpoint. They aren't Chrysler or BMW. Different customer base. People who need a Hemi to feel like a man don't buy Scions with 1.5 liter engines.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: whats with the fwd cars

Originally Posted by notintheface
what ever happened to rwd cars its like every car out is fwd a new impala ss has a 300 hp and is fwd they used to be rwd. fwd cars make cars nose heavy. someone explain this to me
Incidentally, the xB actually has a pretty good front to rear weight distribution for a FWD car. I'd be willing to bet it's close to the same as the old RWD throwback Impala you're talking about, maybe better.

There have always been enthusiasts who prefer RWD and for some good reasons, but it seems like everybody and their little brother has jumped on the RWD bandwagon now, _____ing about FWD when more than half of them probably can't even tell you the pros and cons of either one--- not accusing you of that dude, I'm just saying in general its pretty annoying to people who know something about cars. There are FWD cars with fantastic handling and well sorted suspensions and there are lots of RWD cars with sloppy handling. It's not the be all to end all people think it is.

All that said, would I prefer a RWD xB to a FWD one? Yep, probably would, but only because I live in Florida now and because I am confident in my driving abilities. If I lived up north with snow and icy rain I'd take FWD every time for my daily driver and I would never buy a new driver, like a son or daughter a RWD car. I wouldn't want my Mom to have a RWD car either, because I know something about cars and I know that for the average driver a RWD car is much more dangerous and hard to control in a slide or a panic situation.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:02 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by Biznox
It also eliminates the problem of dangerous understeer which can get inexperienced/average drivers into trouble at the traction limit.
Actually, a FWD car has more understeer and it's oversteer that is dangerous in inexperienced hands. Oversteer makes the back end want to slide out.

Other than that, I think your comments are dead-on.
Old 12-05-2005, 04:04 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

my mistake, I always get those two definitions crossed up. ;)
Old 12-05-2005, 05:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Scion Evolution

I always think of it as a circle. If your steering was just right you could drive in a perfect circle. When you get understeer, you have less ability to hold it to the circle and you'll swing wide with the front end leading the way out. When you have oversteer, you can steer it even tighter than the perfect circle, but the force makes the back end want to slide out.
Old 12-06-2005, 02:55 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Got ya.

I understand how they both work and which is which, what I meant to say is I used the wrong one in the sentence.