Notices
Toyota News / Q+A Things you would like to see or know...

xB MPG

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2005, 02:20 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default xB MPG

I know this has been discussed SEVERAL times on here, but I am getting seriously irritated on this subject. You have a ton of people that get the advertised MPG, but there are a ton of us who are getting WAY BELOW the EPA mileage. Mine, since late October has dropped to just above 20 MPG. What gives?

I don't know if Scion Corporation reads this, but if they do, Give me an answer as to what you are gong to do for us that lack the EPA standards. Some of us don't care if theirs are below average, but some of us do. I want answers! I could have kept my old car that had a ton more power, more room, sportier, AND WAY BETTER MPG than the EPA siad it would get.

GET ON THE BALL SCION!!!
Old 12-12-2005, 02:28 AM
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

i get 20 mpg too
i have on a strup headers,mufflers, 18" wheels 205/35/18 tires/ short ram intake / 1.7 " drop
Old 12-12-2005, 02:36 AM
5 Year Member

i get 25-28 per low fuel light . i dont like driving too far after it comes on. the only things i have are a shortram intake and the greddy evo 2 axle back exhaust
Old 12-12-2005, 02:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

All I have to say is I miss my Matrix XRS! 'F' Scion. We should have traded for another Matrix with AWD and threw on a S/C. I am so frickin ____ed about this. All the dealer can say is that if there was a problem, the engine light would come on...but they "would be happy to give me an estimate to check it out". At MY cost, of course.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get pretty close to EPA numbers in my car. You need to drive conservatively if you expect to get anything like the EPA estimates in most cars.

Maybe you should ask the EPA what THEY are going to do about their numbers. It's not Toyota's fault that EPA's estimates are inaccurate. EPA comes up with those numbers, not Toyota.
Old 12-13-2005, 03:56 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I understand bizbox...but my car got around the average for the first 10,000 miles or so. Now I'm down to 20-23 MPG with no answers other than 'bad gas'.

All my new cars got at or above the EPA MPG...even fully loaded! So, the EPA MPG wasn't a problem then...whats changed? As far that goes, why don't CAR MANUFACTURERS 'sandbag' a little...advertise it a little lower than the EPA numbers? Why? Because they want to sell cars! I fell for it! LOL

BTW, I get passed by bicycles! Thats how conservative I drive!
Old 12-13-2005, 05:39 AM
TJ
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I get about 28-32 mpg and i've read that many other people get above and below. The EPA should change their rating because i shop using their method....I get the posted mileage if i drive like a snail. My gas mileage right now sucks because of ethanol based fuels here. It probably doesn't help that i also have a ski/board rack. Maybe some bad sensors could be to blame. Who knows.
Old 12-14-2005, 02:27 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I think it's the EPA's fault. Like I said, they come up with the numbers. Toyota just prints them on the sticker, just like everyone else.

I do think though, maybe somethings up in your case, x_rayted, given what you said about your MPG, it doesn't sound right and I wouldn't buy the "bad gas" excuse either.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:06 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

My first tank was 28. Second was 29/30ish.

Since then, it has been going up almost every fill. Last one was 32.5! It has gone up about a half mpg for the last 3-5 fills. I have 2k miles on the box now and think that it will continue to improve a little more as the engine wears in and gets looser. FWIW, I went to Mobil-1 @450 miles.

My Sequoia got 16mpg driven like a baby. I am happy with the 30-32! If it goes higher, great. If not, its still double what I was getting. I'm getting this driving 90% freeway/10%street. And not babying it either. What a blast to drive the box!

Low 20s sounds awfully low. I don't think I could get 23 even flooring it all the time.

Box stock box. No performance mods.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:52 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

As far that goes, why don't CAR MANUFACTURERS 'sandbag' a little...advertise it a little lower than the EPA numbers? Why?
Because they are required by federal law to use the numbers from the EPA test cycle and not to ad lib?

Could be, could be.

In fact thay can't even decide to drop out, and not use ANY numbers: They are required by federal law to use the numbers and to print them right on every sticker...
Old 12-14-2005, 04:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by x_rayted711
All the dealer can say is that if there was a problem, the engine light would come on...but they "would be happy to give me an estimate to check it out". At MY cost, of course.
It sounds like your dealer is screwing you. If it's still under warranty, there's a number of things they can check out--like a clogged fuel filter, sticking brakes, wheel alignment, computer, any number of sensors, etc., all of which they should check and fix totally free of charge.

If possible, go to another dealer. If that doesn't help, call Scion directly. Plus, it helps if you have written evidence of your mileage before and after the problem.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas

In fact thay can't even decide to drop out, and not use ANY numbers: They are required by federal law to use the numbers and to print them right on every sticker...
Unless they want to make Scions weigh over 8500 lbs GVWR like a Ford Excursion and the like. In that case, ironically, the EPA doesn't require the pathetic single digit MPG estimates to be listed on the sticker.