Notices
Website Discussion Problem? Let us know about it here...

Beta Test: Changes to the search layout

Old 03-11-2006, 03:05 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Default Beta Test: Changes to the search layout

Hey guys, I need your input on some changes I am going to make to the layout of the search results.

Please go to our sister site: www.lexuslife.com

Do some searches using the quick search box located between the "features" drop menu and the banner ad. ...where it says "type search here".

The results that you see will be displayed in the new layout format. Information has been compressed so that I can add some boxes to the right side of the results. In those boxes are going to be search results for various parts of the site... the parts and dealer databases, google results (shhh), and other searches. I am trying to make the search more friendly and usable while still being tied to the damn frustrating system built into the forums.

Please leave me your feedback here.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:24 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I like it better. How many posts and last poster is not normally needed. There already is a good method already in place to tell if there are any new replies to the post.
The google tie-in is good also.
Old 03-11-2006, 03:32 AM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Last poster is still there, just to the right of the date/time of the most recent post.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:00 AM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I love it.

Google link is sweet, and pointing searchers to the often-overlooked tech is nice.

I would like to see a search for terms of two characters, rather than the current four, given that all Scion models are currently two letters.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:20 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member

SL Member
Team ScioNRG

this is definetely awesome and very easy to use. For the users that don't know to press enter when they are finished typing, maybe there should be a button? The would be my only suggestion.
Old 03-11-2006, 04:27 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

I ran into that search results page once before on the scion site sometime this week.... hmmmm

but anyway:
if that empty space on the right will be filled with that other stuff then it would be pretty good. (right now without it it looks akward)
I don't think we could do without the author of the thread being named, if thats needed then the search would have been for the author right? just keeping it to who made the most recent post and when should be fine....

maybe you can add boxes for the user to refine their search
I have always wanted a way to change my search without having to reload the main search page, but if thats too much then its ok, i have survived without it..

i don't think the 2 character thing would be a good idea. open the find box and type tC in a page and see how many useless occurances it finds. (watch, smartcarprices.com, etc)
Old 03-11-2006, 06:35 AM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah, but type, say, "antenna" and want to limit it to only tC anrenna's and you just can't do it. Wanting two character search capability isn't to search for "tC" only, but as an additional limiter when OTHER terms are also entered as in "alignment tC" as a search...

====

Other than that, it bugs me that I cannot find posts that *I* made by entering terms guaranteed to be in the post, but can dig through my old posts and find it and yes, the terms are there. Something sucks in the search system.

====

New results look nice - assuming search will actually find things.

Tom
Old 03-11-2006, 11:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I like the way it gives resulte, but, like Thomas said, assuming it will find anything..

Using most searches is like using a dictionary to find how to spell a word. You have to know the answer before you ask the question.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:51 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by TheQuietThings
this is definetely awesome and very easy to use. For the users that don't know to press enter when they are finished typing, maybe there should be a button? The would be my only suggestion.
I guess I kind of assume that if they aren't smart enough to know to hit enter then they won't be smart enough to notice the quick search anyway... and will hit the red search button. No room up there for a button. I would have to redesign the entire layout and I'm not in the mood, I guess.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:54 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by Max
I would like to see a search for terms of two characters, rather than the current four, given that all Scion models are currently two letters.
Unfortunately that is an inherent limit buil into the forum search and if I enable two-letter searching it could cause a LOT higher load on the server every time someone performs a search. Hmmm... I just added a modification to the way the search works, though, to make it faster. I wonder if that will allow me to perform two-letter searches more efficiently? I will check into that.

Meanwhile, you will have to use the advanced search. I will look into adding a refine box on the results, that is a GREAT idea.
Old 03-11-2006, 05:56 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Originally Posted by gjpjr84
I don't think we could do without the author of the thread being named, if thats needed then the search would have been for the author right? just keeping it to who made the most recent post and when should be fine....
The author's name is there, just under the title of the subject and to the left of the page shortcuts. In brackets. The last replier is just to the right of the date of the last reply. I hope that makes sense without labelling the names... should be failrly obvious I hope. I hope.
Old 03-11-2006, 06:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

/snip

maybe you can add boxes for the user to refine their search
/snip

..and search within results...
Old 03-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Right, which is why I said "Meanwhile, you will have to use the advanced search. I will look into adding a refine box on the results, that is a GREAT idea." two posts up.

I am going to get working on THAT idea right now!
Old 03-12-2006, 04:23 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by scionlife
Meanwhile, you will have to use the advanced search. I will look into adding a refine box on the results, that is a GREAT idea.
WooHoo! I made a good sugestion!

Originally Posted by scionlife
The author's name is there, just under the title of the subject and to the left of the page shortcuts. In brackets. The last replier is just to the right of the date of the last reply. I hope that makes sense without labelling the names... should be failrly obvious I hope. I hope.
I ment that we could do without the author of the thread in the search.
i edited the sentance too much i screwed up the meaning.
---
I think we could do without the author of the thread being named, if thats needed then the search would have been for the author right? just keeping it to who made the most recent post and when should be fine....
Old 03-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Max
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I just saw the latest version. Looks great. That is a long list of usernames.

The google results are pretty well-tailored, but they include some archived forums.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:53 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

Yo Darren, the new search layout is lookin good.

but thee "Member Search Results" is listing WAY to many items right now.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:59 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I think we could do without the author of the thread being named, if thats needed then the search would have been for the author right? just keeping it to who made the most recent post and when should be fine....
I agree.. that extra info was removed.
Old 03-12-2006, 07:01 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

but the "Member Search Results" is listing WAY to many items right now.
Hmmm... I though this feature would be nice... I am always trying to find people's accounts and I hate to login to my admin page to do it.

I think I am going to add a checkbox to the "refine results" box to include different kinds of searches. That will be one...
Old 03-12-2006, 07:10 PM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
SL Member

i really need to reread my posts before i hit the button.

i ment that it was displaying to many items.

when I hit my ego search it was listing hundreds of members names

sorry,
Old 03-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I think it's fixed now, check it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Beta Test: Changes to the search layout