Notices
Website Discussion Problem? Let us know about it here...

mods with locking threads

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2005, 03:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Default mods with locking threads

I feel that mods lock threads more than they should. SL is such a large community, I bet cha most topic has been covered. New people sometime do use search button but most of the time it doesnt work. I think mod should just put a link guiding to other thread without locking the message. I am really tired seeing good thread (yes, it has been talked about) and developed to a different discussion topic getting locked. Really, what negative things would develop if you dont lock it?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: mods with locking threads

Originally Posted by schwettynuts
Really, what negative things would develop if you dont lock it?
Lack of server space/slower site?
Old 12-15-2005, 04:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scion Justice League of America
SL Member

There are many different reasons why Mods lock threads.... I personally think they are very forgiving, and some should be locked down a little faster...

It's all about keeping things organized, fast to find in searches, and free of hate, topic hijacking...
Old 12-15-2005, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

delete thread that hasnt been active for a long time, lock the word game thread . Auto delete thread thats not active more than 2 years will do it.
Old 12-15-2005, 04:20 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Perhaps you're referring to this topic that I locked earlier:

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie....php?p=1238433

This topic was about good winter tires. It has been discussed numerous times, I supplied you with one link to refer to, I could search for topics and maybe could come up with more results for good winter tires. Us, moderators/staff tries to keep things organized here, not to get too cluttery so when someone like me, do a "search" on a topic It'll be easier to find. Bandwidth is not a problem since Darren had added another server to accommodate the traffic. Just my $0.02.
Old 12-15-2005, 06:36 PM
Founder
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

schwettynuts, could you provide me with an example of a topic that you think was locked unnecessarily?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

https://www.scionlife.com/forums/vie...107&highlight=

Yes understand sometime thread can almost look like a chat room but this is one example when we are having a small regional talk and get locked.

I understand if you lock something like .. "window not working after installing CAI because the answer is always the same"... But if a topic is about oppinion, I dont think you should lock it and refer it to a different thread. I think sometimes a thread gets way too long its hard to get my oppionion across because nobody bothers to read all the pages.

Also stick_1NZ closed a thread about winter tires, I thought I wrote a pretty valuable answer that hasnt been answered on the other thread he closed. People talk about stuff over and over. I talk about basketball all the time, maybe we should have only 1 thread about basketball.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well from what I read its obvious that the reason the topic was closed is because the purpose of the post had been fufilled. The post was created to sell an xB. At the end of the post it was clear that the xB was being traded in for a different car, therfore it couldnt be sold anymore. So basically there was no reason to have the topic open any more because the issue was resolved.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Actually, that should have been edited, locked, and moved to PPC. The person is privately selling something in another forum. Any private sales belong in PPC, but you have to have 50 posts (or be listed as an SL Member) anyways, so it should have been edited to indicate that.

As for locking other things. I try to lock repetitive things early. Giving a link or not. Sometimes I do if it's recently covered. Otherwise, if the question is already answered, there's no point to keep it going anyways. Save on the servers... as others have said.

That being said, if I lock something that someone feels shouldn't be, I've unlocked things before from a PM from the original poster.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:52 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

I feel that the topic has been resolved and I didn't see a point to keep it going so I locked it providing a link similar to the "winter/snow tire" topic.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:59 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

So theoraticaly you should lock all the new thread popping up everyday about " Im getting a tc/xb/xa soon, is it good?" Really.. if you worry about server space and speed.. delete that useless word association game. Yes, sometimes i feel that this forum is so low at certain hours.

Anyway, on thread about tires, cherrybox was asking the poster what wheels she is running with. And I saw cherrybox is from colorado and asked him whether he is going to the sunday event or not.. and then it is locked. Yes, I know I can pm him , but I think it is rude to cut off someones conversation thats all.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Well IMO people who make threads that ask if a scion is a good buy should be directed so some sort of FAQ, then have the threads locked and deleted. Those threads dont really serve a purpose since the same thing is being said each time. If we dont already have a FAQ section for newcomers, then one day well have to make one. Hell, maybe Ill even make one in my free time.

edit: well i looked on the main tC owners lounge area, and I can see 2 FAQ's that were made stickies. The problem that I see with these is that they are small and can be easily missed. I think we need something big that says ....

FAQ: READ THIS BEFORE POSTING in large lettering so that no one can miss it.
Old 12-15-2005, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mods lock threads for a reason:
1. numerous off topic posts
2. hate comments that are un needed.
3. topic discussed over, and over, and over
4. say someone posts a video, then deletes it. thread is useless
5. gets out of control with random posts that have nothing to do with original topic.

so on so forth.

Its locked or deleted for good reasons, so deal with it.

I think this thread should be locked.

Cya
Old 12-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A fine suggestion, Tony! :D