Notices
xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

Air Filter: Cabin Filter Fabrication

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2006, 04:28 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I picked up the webabsorber at target for 7.99. Very easy to cut to size. A very cool and quick DIY.
Thanks to all! Like almost everyone else I didn't know there was no filter included.
Old 04-12-2006, 07:14 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Custom Cabin filter

Originally Posted by Aminal8
.... ... the stock filter is just not going to handle my needs. I went looking for filter that would handle dust, and smoke as well. I found that I could get one that exceeds my needs for about $20.00...
In selecting the filter material, one should consider its resistance to air flow and surface area. The OEM filter is made of a material that offers the least resistance to air flow, and this material is then pleated to double its surface area.

A home-made filter made of superfine media that handles smoke, and made from a flat media such as cut from furnace and air conditioning filters, is going to offer higher resistance to air flow and will also plug up with material sooner, compared to the OEM filter.

I have noticed that my xB with OEM cabin filter already has poor natural air flow from the vents. At 60 mph the flow in the xB is much less than what comes from my Mazda truck vents. At 60 mph the xB's flow is adequate for changing the air, but not adequate for keeping the interior comfortable with the windows up in 75 degrees. As a result, I must use the xB's fan to boost the ventilation air flow.

Substituting a less efficient media for the OEM filter reduces the already poor air flow, and requires more use of the fan, while putting a stronger load on the fan than the OEM filter. If home-made filter media causes the fan to be used for simple ventilation at high speeds, and makes the fan work hard to force air through dense media or media that is quickly plugged up, then the fan will not last as long as it might otherwise.
Old 04-16-2006, 10:11 PM
5 Year Member

This is what the filter looks like if its been stuck in there - and nobody has serviced it!

Off to find some filter stuff!!!...
Old 04-16-2006, 11:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Actually, the WebSorber offers much more airflow than stock, which is probably why the dealers reccomend against putting the Toyota filer in the tC due to "cooling issues". So the home depot variety is obviously not as aggressive of a filter. I can tell no difference in airflow with it in as without one. Mine does not get NEARLY as dirty as I have seen in others pics, but the twin cities has pretty clean air for a metro area.
Old 04-17-2006, 12:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by minibangbus
... I used all of the mentioned filter materials (charcoal to Hepa) in combination and it allows me to have nice fresh air even when following a deisel...
Is that with or without the fan?
Old 04-17-2006, 02:24 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by vintage42
Originally Posted by minibangbus
... I used all of the mentioned filter materials (charcoal to Hepa) in combination and it allows me to have nice fresh air even when following a deisel...
Is that with or without the fan?
i always have the fan on one click, before and after my cabin filter. i will however make it
a point to turn off the fan and see if it restricts....now it's just a matter of following a school
bus....i'll keep you posted. but as of the incident mentioned above, i was cruising behind
a big deisel truck doing 65mph and i opened the lever to fresh air just to see how well this
filter system and i was gladly surprised because it didn't stink up the car so i was excited
Old 06-25-2006, 03:42 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

just bought my funace filters they were 4 for 50 cents in the clearence isle at walmart later ill cut one
Old 06-26-2006, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Update ^^^^^^
and it's been a couple of months but I've had plenty of experience from the heat, combined w/ closed windows, fan ON or OFF.
so the verdict is this, w/o fan ON....it doesn't flow as much BUT since I never had a filter before.....I couldn't compare my experience.

I have followed numerous school busses w/ the fresh air vent open.....IT'S ALL GOOD! no nasty smell.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:15 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Default awesome

awesome post. i just cut a filtrete filter down to size, sprayed it down with citrus oil, and now my xb smells oh so fresh! just be careful if your filter has the wire reinforcement...i put two holes in my hand. the wires are super sharp after cutting them with wire cutters!
Old 08-03-2006, 04:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I just did this last night. It was the first 'mod' I've done and it was very easy thanks to the pics.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I was really going to buy the OEM filter from the dealer, since I didn't like the Filtrete DIY filters. Looks too homemade IMHO. Also, I was going to use the OEM filter as a template. Then, I saw the Web Absorber DIY filter, and it looks just as good as OEM (yea, I know, who cares...well, I do). Plus, it has charcoal, which OEM doesn't.

I went to Walmart today and didn't see the Web Absorber. I almost walked out for Lowes or Home Depot. Then, in the clutter of filters, I saw a similiar filter set made by Dupont. It is called the 3-way Odor Control Electrostatic Air Filter (series 7650). It has the grid, filter, and charcoal as well as 4 clips to hold it in place. It says it has Microban, which supposedly fights odor-causing microbes...not so sure about that one.

It is 20"x25" and cost $9.88 plus tax...that fits 6 filters. For the price of one from the dealer ($20), I will have 12! With charcoal! That's what, a 3 year supply?! However, I will probably lose the leftover pieces, unless I keep them precut in the car. I will reuse the grid and clips; just replace the filter and charcoal.

Oh, yea...I just ordered the car the other day. But I already ordered floor mats and have the cabin filter ready.
Old 08-09-2006, 04:12 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off, great info in this DIY section...I just did this today...thanks to all who contributed. My allergies are pleased with this quick mod and so is my wallet.
I purchased a web filter from home depot and as I was walking away, I spotted this air freshener (also made by web) that is designed to go inline with the filter in your house and freshen the entire home. I figured since my $15 air spencer freshner wasn't doing a great job in my car, why not give this $2.xx thing a try.
There were many scents to choose from: coconut, vanilla, fresh breeze, etc. I opted for melon.
Anyways I got home and trimmed the filter and freshner then placed them both in my car and I nearly gagged. The smell was so intense. Needless to say I used too much the first time. I would only recommend using one strip of the gel...any more than that is just overkill and will get old real quick.
Overall I am pleased with the results. I paid a total of $14 and change. I probably wont have to purchase another filter or freshner for atleast two years (except maybe to try another scent)
Everyone loves pics so I snapped a few.

Old 08-09-2006, 03:12 PM
10 Year Member
SL Member

thanks for the info. i will install this today
Old 08-09-2006, 08:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member

Great info about the gel strips. I just need to decide what flavor.
Old 08-09-2006, 09:10 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

(Keep in mind that SOME 'scent stuff' will put a hard-to-remove film on the inside of the windows as it 'distills' out of the air...)
Old 08-09-2006, 09:52 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Tomas
(Keep in mind that SOME 'scent stuff' will put a hard-to-remove film on the inside of the windows as it 'distills' out of the air...)
Hmm, good tip. I never knew that.
I would like to point out to anyone thinking of using this gel stuff...this stuff is seriously F*ing strong!!!!!!!
Although I have two strips on the filter in the pics, I'm currently only using half a strip. I started with four (big mistake) then I tried two, then one and finally half of one.
I guess it depends on personal prefference, but this should be used sparingly. The good part about using it though is that it doesnt seem to linger too much or overwhelm you like a rounhouse kick from Chuck Norris when you climb into your hooptie. That said, cant wait to try out the other flavors
Old 08-10-2006, 06:14 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

did the DIY and it works great...
Old 08-10-2006, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I read this tech article for the first time last night, ran out to the xB, and pulled out the glovebox/filter housing.

I'll be stopping at Lowes after work to pick up a suitable air filter to pop in there to get clean air. I still can't believe that Scion sells us these cars new w/o a cabin air filter but they include the holder.
Old 08-10-2006, 03:16 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

this should be made a sticky
Old 08-10-2006, 08:13 PM
Admin Emeritus

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It's even better than a sticky, it's in the tech section...

https://www.scionlife.com/tech/

LOTS of good info there...

Tomas

Quick Reply: Air Filter: Cabin Filter Fabrication