xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

Bulb Sizes

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2004, 01:40 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by phatboy
I've got 100W headlight bulbs, and I've been running them for a couple of weeks now with no problems to the wiring. The headlight system has relays in it, which will allow for a higher wattage bulb. In older cars without relays, burning up was a common problem, but not nowadays.

Hope this helps!

Joe
Scinergy IA
this is wrong. over time the actual wires will age faster than normal due to the excess draw. there is also a risk of burning out the actual bulb harness.

this is from personal experience.

btw bulbs that still draw 55w are safe. don't get the cheaper bulbs that draw higher wattage.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the rear turn signal bulbs are 7440 not 43 the 43 are two stage the 40 are single.
Old 12-19-2004, 07:13 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by boxman94561
Also the rear bumper side markers are a 194
to revive a long ignored thread.....

The rear bumper side markers are not 194's. The bulbs in those marker lights are not replaceable - you have to buy the whole new housing from Toyota. (or switch to an entirely different lighting setup there)

-- ALSO - this FAQ needs updating ... I noticed the bulb # was wrong for the turn signal bulbs in the taillights (it's 7440) - but noticed HOTBOX05 beat me to correcting it by a 2mos long shot.
Old 12-21-2004, 12:53 PM
5 Year Member

Anyone got the bulb size list for xA?
Old 12-24-2004, 03:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it's the same car, just different shape.
Old 12-26-2004, 09:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
actually it isnt. theres different bulbs for different things. alot are the same but not all here i hope this site helps.
http://www.eautoworks.com/html/bulbSearch-1-SCION.htm
Old 12-26-2004, 09:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

allthough it list rear turns as 7443 which i know is incorrect for the xb mayb be correct for the xa though. not sure. damn no editing in faq
Old 12-27-2004, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions

could anyone tell me which to buy from this site :oops: thanks... https://www.streetglow.com/cgi-local...=/page=hid.htm
Old 12-27-2004, 09:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
what are you looking to buy fog lights or headlight bulbs?
Old 12-28-2004, 03:51 AM
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions

headlight bulbs
Old 01-02-2005, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by irv_usc
I've got 100W headlight bulbs, and I've been running them for a couple of weeks now with no problems to the wiring. The headlight system has relays in it, which will allow for a higher wattage bulb. In older cars without relays, burning up was a common problem, but not nowadays.

Hope this helps!

Joe
Scinergy IA
this is wrong. over time the actual wires will age faster than normal due to the excess draw. there is also a risk of burning out the actual bulb harness.

If you want to run higher wattage bulbs you must use relays to supply power to the bulbs and use the current headlamp circuit to switch the relays on and off and direct battery power to supply lighting voltage or you will soon see melted bulb sockets and wires over time this is fact I have been in the automotive field for over 30 years and I see this alot lately Even on the High end Cadillac's(aKA Escalades)

btw bulbs that still draw 55w are safe. don't get the cheaper bulbs that draw higher wattage.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:38 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

what about the dome light inside the car?
Old 01-17-2005, 06:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

ne one have info on the control lights
Old 01-22-2005, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member

Hope this helps!

Joe
Scinergy IA

the wire will get hard overtime and definitely start cracking.. from personal experience also...
Old 01-22-2005, 04:58 PM
5 Year Member

Hope this helps!

Joe
Scinergy IA

the wire will get hard overtime and definitely start cracking.. from personal experience also...
Old 02-24-2005, 06:58 AM
VGB
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
allthough it list rear turns as 7443 which i know is incorrect for the xb mayb be correct for the xa though. not sure. damn no editing in faq
so do you know what size the rear turn signals are then?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:44 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

the rears are 7440 for the xB
Old 03-27-2005, 08:24 AM
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by box4ces

Hope this helps!

Joe
Scinergy IA

I agree with some things here, but this isn't entirely correct. Both of you are right, and both are wrong. In older cars wiring was a bigger issue, but if you follow some basics, it shouldn't be. Please note that a relay in and of itself does not make it automatically OK to put in something bigger. Relays have ratings too. I agree that you should try to follow the standard 55w low beam rule, and there's really no reason not to.

For any replacement lamp:

1- CHECK THE LAW! State laws can be even tougher than the federal guidelines. You may find yourself with a hefty ticket if you have something too bright or an illegal color in your car. Local laws can be even tougher.

2- Check the circuit configuration. Example: Some vehicles have all the headlights on the same circuit. Some separate left and right. High beams are often on a seperate circuit. For the xB, they have separated the headlights, so there is a circuit for the left Headlight high and low beams, and one for the right.

3- DO THE MATH! Wattage is a function of voltage and amperage. a 55w headlamp draws 55w/12v amps, or 4.583 amps. A 100w lamp draws 8.333 Amps. For the xB headlights, since you will be drawing a high beam through the wiring, you must calculate the HIGHEST amperage that will be drawn through the circuit.

4- CHECK FUSE RATINGS - For the xB headlights, the fuse for each headlight is a 10A fuse. This means that in theory, the MAXIMUM wattage you can draw is 10A times 12v, or 120 watts. However, you should leave at least a 10% safety margin to account for fuse defects and electrical system fluctuations. This means the MAXIMUM wattage you SHOULD draw is closer to 108 watts. I would say 100w maximum. Again, note this is calculated for the HIGH beam. If you are working with a circuit that has multiple lamps, each lamps' wattage is ADDITIVE to the circuit.

5- Check the relay ratings. Not all cars use relays, but the xB does for lots of things. Usually the relay is rated along the same lines as the fuse, so it shouldn't be a problem, but double check it just in case.

6- Check that the wiring gauge is sufficient. This is what can cause you headaches later on. If you try and draw too much power, it will work at first.. even for a few years... but down the line, if the wiring isn't rated correctly, you will have major headaches. You must check all of the wiring, particularly if the wiring branches off. Not only must the wiring to each lamp be correct, but if the wiring combines into a single wire it must be able to hold the load of both the original wires. Usually, automakers use wiring throughout a circuit that is consistent with the amperage of the fuse. Meaning, that typically if the fuse is rated at 10A, the wiring is a sufficient gauge throughout that system to take that much load. Here's some typical wiring sizes and their maximum amps(at 12v) & wattages:

Gauge Wattage Amperage (@ 12v)
---------------------------------------
12 2400 200
14 1800 150
16 720 60
18 360 30

For other gauges information, check your local electronics store or online. In general though, if your fuse is rated for 10A, the wiring should be good for it too. But as I said, double check it anyways to make sure. The length of the wiring does play into how much you can draw through it as well. Smaller gauge wiring drops voltage quicker as it has a higher resistance.

So my short answer, after looking over my own wiring in my xB, is that a 100w lamp in an xB headlight should be ok electrically. I'd be more worried about the plastic housing being unable to take the extra heat being generated... and tickets for having such bright lights. Truly the question is why?
Old 04-01-2005, 03:56 PM
5 Year Member
Scinergy

HID/xenons: which brand is best and where do I get them?
Old 06-01-2005, 06:36 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Found this at Sylvania:

2005 SCION xB

High & low beam headlamp
9003ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting: the whitest and brightest Halogen
9003XV XtraVision Halogen Upgrade: Up to 30% Brighter
9003CB Cool Blue Halogen Upgrade: White Hot; Super Cool; 100% Street Legal

Parking light
1157A