Notices
xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

Caliper/Drum Painting

Old 05-22-2005, 06:20 AM
5 Year Member
Strictly Scionized
SL Member

thank you so much!!!! I am thinking of doing mine red as well... but just have not got the time to do it... but now with your right up... I think I might knock it down next weekend!!
Old 05-24-2005, 06:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
sIcKsCiOnS
Scion Evolution

i got the same kit yest. ill paint today..bump for a cool article
Old 06-24-2005, 06:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

good tech thread, pharynx

I would add this: Brush painting with modern brushes and paints not meant for self-leveling will make for brush marks. However! There is an oriental brush called the "hake" brush, which is so soft and fine as to make no brush marks.

Sidebar: before the era of sprayed paints (roughly 1924, when the Oakland automobile introduced the Dupont system of sprayed nitro lacquer), all fine finishes were brushed. There were no brush marks in fine finishes because the varnish-paints were based on linseed oil. The oil content lubricated the liquid compound and made for perfect leveling

Today, as then, only a linseed oil varnish like Benjamin Moore 404 makes for great looking brushed results.

--Painting rear brake drums decreases braking performance. Paint insulates the drum; it cannot pass off heat nearly so well as bare cast iron.

--If you have rims and must paint the rear drums for better appearance, a -thin coat of black paint is best.

Brake drums convert kinetic (rubbing) energy to HEAT. Any film over the brake drum acts just like a blanket, slowing the conduction of heat to the air. Of painted colors, black is least harmful to heat transfer because black is the most "emissive" color.

White and other light colors like yellow and silver are least emissive. The darker the color and the thinner the coat, the better for drum brakes.

Paint thickness or color on calipers matters hardly at all, relatively speaking.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by hotbox05
I used engine enamel sprayed it in a cup and then used a brush to apply , now I gotta find some engine enamel in a bronze color.

Darren, engine enamel is "acylic enamel", is all. Acrylic enamels have 500F heat resistance. This is -not to say- that all pigment colors will do well on high heat applications. However, the binder of the acrylic enamel paint -is- up to the task.

Duplicolor!
Old 07-31-2005, 02:01 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the tutorial. I got the kit today and am waiting for the first caliper to dry. I'll post pics when i'm done.
Old 08-27-2005, 02:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

the why am I painting mine Gloss Black??

i am doing mine today
but i will remove the drums and calipers (i have a lift)
so i will post pics later
Old 08-27-2005, 03:15 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

I just got my done too. They did them with the powered coating. they are baked on they been on for over a year no pealing.

Old 09-05-2005, 08:00 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thats freakin hot! Did they have to take them off to powerder coat them? There is some powdercoating close by so I might just have mine done.
Old 09-08-2005, 12:59 PM
5 Year Member

yea i think powder coating would work best, how much did it cost to have them coated and what was the turn-around time to complete the install?
Old 11-23-2005, 06:35 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

Scikotics
SL Member

Originally Posted by cingham
why would paint your drums? seriously....its really not a "perfomance part"....

Why paint the front if your not gonna paint the back plus I know its not done so it's enough impulse for me to paint the rears regardless of the fact that they do help you stop still and ur e-brake works thru them so yeah some paint for them is ok too.
Old 12-08-2005, 06:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Dayum humpty111, that ride sure would look awsome with "VOLS" lettered on the sides! LMAO
Old 01-02-2006, 05:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

MORE PICS PLS!
Old 01-11-2006, 06:35 PM
5 Year Member

Default painted my calipers

first of all wanted to say thanks to pharynx for posting the tutorial and giving me the idea... i stopped by autozone and saw the paint kit he was talking about. i also saw a can of similarly colored red paint and decided that i'd be more confident with my painting skills with the spraypaint.

it took a good few hours (three coats per caliper, and about 20 minutes between coats) to do all four, but for a first go i think i did a pretty good job. i can see some places where i missed and some areas that are uneven so i'm definaely going to repaint in a day or two.

i think that it definately improved the look of my car and i don't regret doing it. i know it's not the same as buying special performance calipers that come in powder-coated red metal. actually i was worred that the calipers would look cheap or they would come out crappy when i was done, but i really think that they look good and i'm glad i did it.

here are some pics of my job so far... oh, and of my new rims! :-)

btw this is my first picture post so sorry in advance if i mess up!

Old 01-19-2006, 03:22 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks nice
Old 03-11-2006, 12:50 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

Looks good. I have had mine painted for 2 years now. Only problem is, after winter I have to re-do it. The sand and salt basically chips 50% of it off.

My drums and calipers have no rust though, so it not only looks good, but it protects the life of your brakes
Old 04-04-2006, 12:41 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

I'm planning on painting my calipers today. I bought the Duplicolor kit and it says right on the box under the WARNING section "DO NOT paint discs DRUMS brake pads or shoes. Now i was going to paint the drums regardless of all the chatter back and forth on here but now.....
The thing is i like my brakes and i want them to work. A little rust on my drums doesn't worry me since i learned they are cast iron. Iron is very strong and has a high melting point so a little rust aint gonna hurt em. Instead of painting them, which i didn't think looked that cool to begin with just doesn't make any sense now. I'm painting the calipers black so it should be obvious that i'm not trying to draw attention to my them, let alone the drums. I just want a slightly cleaner look if done right, goes un-noticed. I hate looking at those ugly calipers. Does anyone know where to find some good drilled/slotted rotors? Does anyone have a final word on painting drums?
Old 06-10-2006, 11:54 PM
5 Year Member

Here's mine on my tC!

Old 06-11-2006, 09:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member
MN Scions

I got rid of the red, it was on there for almost 2 years. But, I just found it to be too flashy, and kinda ricey....So they are black now.

Heres the pics:

This first one is Last fall, when they were red.

Old 06-11-2006, 09:55 PM
5 Year Member

Black looks nice too! You know what would look hot?
Match the color of your box!! TCM calipers!
It would look cool as a match!
Old 07-09-2006, 02:35 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Too Cool!

I just happened to scan this tutorial this morning. This afternoon I just happened to spot a Dupli-Color Caliper Paint Kit on sale for $6. I came home and in a couple of hours I had pretty red calipers (only). I went a little more subdued. I only painted the calipers and not the brackets. The box is only two weeks old so clean up wasn't a big issue. I nice spot of color without being terribly conspicuous. 4 coats and plenty of paint left for touch up down the road.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Caliper/Drum Painting