xB Tech and DIY Info for the Scion xB

Camry Navigation Install

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2004, 05:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Camry Navigation Install

Hey everyone, as much as I gained from this site, I would now like to donate back to it by posting this how to. It also covers removing the upper dash in case you want to paint it like others I've seen around here.

You are doing this at your own risk, I will not be responsible for screw ups! You've been warned.

The '04 Camry navigation unit is a self contained unit meaning there isn't a seperate Nav ECU that you place in the trunk. However because it doesn't have an internal amplifier, it needs the OEM JBL amplifier for it's power and sound output.

I ordered the unit from Troy at http://www.oemvalue.com. For about the price of the AVIC-N1, this comes complete with the '04 Toyota Camry Navigation unit, the OEM JBL Amplifier, GPS Antenna, Wire Harnesses, and Navigation Disc. Other options you can add to it are, XM Radio, Reverse Camera, Voice Recognition, and Video Input soon to be released.

Before we begin the install you will need to remove the upper dash. You will know why later. In order to remove the dash the front radio bezel, the radio, the speedometer gauge cluster, the two small speakers on both sides of the dash, and also the A-Pillar covers all need to be removed. It's also easier to get to the VSS and Reverse wires with the upper dash off too.

- To remove the radio, pull the 3 control ***** and remove the two brass screws there.

- Pull the entire radio bezel by grasping the plastic around the 2 vents and pulling with a fair amount of force. Next you will need to remove the 3 plugs connected to the radio bezel.

- After that, there are 4 screws holding the radio bracket in place, unscrew these 4 screws and pull the radio out. Finally, disconnect the 2 plugs and the antenna from the back.

- To remove the speedometer gauge cluster. Use a jewelry phillips screwdriver and loosen the plastic screw fastener located in the middle top of the status light area. Pull on the plastic gauge bezel with some moderate force and it should come loose. Next you will need to remove the gauge cluster, and this is done by removing the 3 screws that are around the edges of the gauge cluster. Then remove the gauge and then unplug the connector on the back.

- The speakers can easily be removed by using a small flathead scredriver to pry off the speaker grill. Remove the 2 screws on the speaker and then disconnect the plug.

- You should also pull the A-Pillar covers now as well.

- Now you are ready to remove the upper-dash section. In front where the radio was, remove the 3 screws there.

- Remove the 2 screw from where the gauge cluster was.

- Remove the 1 screw that attaches the dash to the bulkhead in each of the speaker locations.

- Now, above the glove box in the storage well there is a small rectangular cover. Remove this cover with a small flathead and you should see a 12mm bolt. You need to remove this bolt because it secures the passenger airbag to the chassis support beam.

- You will also need to disconnect the passenger airbag by disconnecting the yellow cable that can be found in the passenger side speaker location.

- After all this, you can now pull the upper dash off with moderate force.

- The best place to put the amplifier is on the driver side in the front section of the dash closest to the window. You may have to move the remote sensor control box, it's a red color box and it's bolted via bracket and 10mm bolt. It fits perfectly without modification to anything. However because it is so close to the wire harnesses located there, I went add padded the sharp edges with some weatherstrip foam tape.

- Now that you have the upper dash off. This is the perfect time to splice your wires to connect the VSS and REV.

--> The VSS wire is the Puple\White stripe wire that can be found on the back of the fuse box. It's the 3'rd wire in a 18 pin plug up at top of the fuse box.
--> The REV wire is the Red\Black stripe wire that can be found on the front of the fuse box, It's one of the wires in the middle 9 pin plug.

- The radio brackets transfer to the navigation perfectly. And the display fits perfectly as well, there are no gaps on either side. It looks absolutely perfect sitting in there.

- The best place to put the GPS antenna is in the flat section under the dash cover right above the gauge cluster. Remove the metal plate and place double sided tape on the white label side of the antenna and stick it up there.

I hope this helps you and good luck. If you are around my area I will be happy to help you out with this if you decide to DIY!
Old 08-09-2004, 05:29 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

wow very clean. Almost looks like the GPS unit in some japanese scion xb's.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Damn! I like that!

Great job! Maybe I should 86 my indash..hmmmm....
Old 08-09-2004, 02:47 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the comments guys. My wife liked the navi a lot in our E320, So she's been wanting one ever since. After I installed it, she likes the Toyota one better now, because it has more functionality then the E320's navi.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

droool. That's great! I imagine I can't afford the unit though. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.
Old 08-09-2004, 03:57 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by superjeer
droool. That's great! I imagine I can't afford the unit though. Thanks for taking the time to write it up.
Hey Jere

Trust me if you can afford a Pioneer AVIC-N1, you can definitely afford this. I don't know if the mods let me place the vendor's website but here it is.

http://www.oemvalue.com

The guy who runs the place is Troy, a very nice guy and helpful.

*Mods* if the link is not allowed then I apologize and you may remove it.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:02 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sweet
Old 08-09-2004, 06:34 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy

Looks really nice, almost like it belongs there

Pardon the stipidity, but where do the CDs go? :?

One more question (as my intrest grows) is it imperative that you get this unit with the JBL amplifier? Or can you use a line driver/output converter do-dad?
Old 08-09-2004, 06:46 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by the_saint
Looks really nice, almost like it belongs there

Pardon the stipidity, but where do the CDs go? :?
It's alright, asking questions is not stupid, it's not asking them when you don't know something, that's stupid.

Anyway. there is a OPEN button in the front, when you press this, the screen slides down similar to the Eclipse and Kenwood double din head units. Behind the screen are two slots, one is for CD and the other is for the Nav disc.
Old 08-09-2004, 08:31 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Man that thing is SWEET!
I want one!I may decide to sell my VRX925 indash for that mother!
I seen where they are working to use the screen as a slave.I hope that pans out.
Anyone interested in a 7"indash!!!?????
Old 08-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Banned

i hope they put that on the TECH section
Old 08-09-2004, 09:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah thanks guys for all your comments. Keep 'em coming. Anyway, I hope the mods put this in the Tech Section too, I think it'll help a lot of people out there who at least want to know how to take apart the upper dash, let alone install a factory navigation system.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:11 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Sorry another stupid question...after looking at what you did...I dont see how it slides down so you can insert a cd...seems like its enclosed in that square area and has no way of going down...if you have a picture of you inserting a cd, that would really help...wondering would the Camry navi fit the tC?

Thanks
Old 08-09-2004, 09:16 PM
Banned

humm i wonder if it would fit the TC? I think it prob would but u would need to install the JBL thing someware else. I think the face of the Deck does slide down. A pic of that would be nice
Old 08-09-2004, 09:18 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by dizzytc
Sorry another stupid question...after looking at what you did...I dont see how it slides down so you can insert a cd...seems like its enclosed in that square area and has no way of going down...if you have a picture of you inserting a cd, that would really help...wondering would the Camry navi fit the tC?

Thanks
Yeah, sorry I didn't have pics of the screen folded down to allow you to put discs in, I'll see if I can remember to take one tonight and I'll post it. Also, look on the website that I posted too. they have pictures of how the screen slides down so you can put the discs in.

http://www.oemvalue.com

humm i wonder if it would fit the TC? I think it prob would but u would need to install the JBL thing someware else. I think the face of the Deck does slide down. A pic of that would be nice
I think it would fit in the tC but I'm not 100% sure because the ***** stick out a little and it might interfere with the cover. But it will definitely fit in the in the stock DIN space as it is the same exact dimensions as the Scion/Pioneer head unit.
Old 08-09-2004, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks...let me check it out...and when you say fold out..do you mean towards you?
Old 08-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Banned

[/img]
Old 08-09-2004, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member

So correct me if im wrong but the unit doesn't play dvd movies is that right? If so do i need to hook up a seperate dvd player to it xbox/ps2 ?
Old 08-09-2004, 09:48 PM
Banned

yes u r right but i dont think u can hook up a DVD player to it
Old 08-09-2004, 09:50 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Emodica
So correct me if im wrong but the unit doesn't play dvd movies is that right? If so do i need to hook up a seperate dvd player to it xbox/ps2 ?
You are correct that it doesn't play DVD's. However there are a few companies that are working on video input to the system right now. And if you look at the Siennaclub.org forums, they have successfully connected the RSE (Rear Seat DVD Entertainment system to the head unit to play DVD's and have all the touchscreen controls like the factory.

And for those that are wondering, it doesn't play mp3's either, that's why I plan to put a wired RF modulator with RCA inputs to connect an iPod.

Quick Reply: Camry Navigation Install