Old 10-11-2004, 04:12 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

correct i prolly shouldda got the other
Old 10-16-2004, 05:38 AM
5 Year Member

I want to change the color of the speedo to orange to match the original orange led clock. Any info or pics on the sppedo leds? Is it the same process as the clock led's?
Old 10-16-2004, 07:57 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by Xbiggity
I want to change the color of the speedo to orange to match the original orange led clock. Any info or pics on the sppedo leds? Is it the same process as the clock led's?
To be honest, I haven't taken the speedometer apart yet because I'm scared of messing up the needles. But, I would imagine they used the same LED as to cut down on production cost. So far, I've only seen 2 types of SMD LED's on the gauge cluster and that is chip type and PLCC packaging. The clock LED's are chip type.

PLCC packaging...

Chip packaging...

Also if you want the orange that is stock on our xB's, you actually want a yellow LED with an MCD level of 8. This is what I used on my navi and it looks the closest to our stock lighting. Hope this helps.
Old 11-05-2004, 01:01 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Anyone still trying to find single Surface Mount LED's, you'll probably have a better chance if you used google and searched for Nokia Cell Phone LED's. I found this one that sells both white and blue in 1206 size.

http://www.all4cell.com/led/led-install.html
Old 11-09-2004, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

A China manufacturer and distributor of all sizes of LED's at very good prices and no minimal quantities for normally carried products.

[ur]http://www.hebeiltd.com.cn/[/url]
Old 11-19-2004, 10:59 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hey wgeee7478,

do you, or any one else know, if the LEDs for the gauge cluster the same size as those for the clock?

I have always wanted a brighter gauge and I am thinking of replacing the current LEDs with the super white LEDs.
Old 11-19-2004, 11:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

To be honest I don't know but looking at the picture below from Scion's How to change gauge cluster lights, they look like the same LED's If they're not 1106's then they must be 0805's.

Here's a reference to his HowTo: -> Link

if you find out though, post your results. I've been busy lately so haven't had time to work on any new project but if I do, I'll do the same.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

I will look into it once I get my car back in two weeks(its in the body shop right now). I will let you guys know about my findings once I look at it.
Old 12-08-2004, 10:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Is there any way to change the backlight behind the A/C switches and what not? Im lookin to go blue on everything, clock, backlights, and probably guage as well in my xB. any suggestions?
Old 12-17-2004, 01:03 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by SWiSS
Is there any way to change the backlight behind the A/C switches and what not? Im lookin to go blue on everything, clock, backlights, and probably guage as well in my xB. any suggestions?
Sorry for the late reply, I was on vacation for the last couple weeks so I didn't have time to respond to questions. But anyway, to answer your question, yes, there is a way to change the light of the A/C *****, however nobody has seemed to find the exact replacement of the bulbs so it's not as easy as plug and play. Hotbox05 has come the closest by determining the bulb size is very similar to a #74 bulb, but because of difference in lead length, he couldn't retrofit them to be used with the stock bulb holders. In a nutshell the #74 sized bulb or similar sized LED will work, however you will need to be creative in trying to install them. This is especially true if you are using the LED because the voltage of the original bulbs are 12V. Regarding the AC switch itself, I havn't looked into it but I think someone here has changed them so I believe it's possible. Right now my full center console is lit amber so it looks mad stock and I'm not about to change it. My speedo and clock match with white LED's so I'm kind of satisfied with where it's at right now. I might want to change the nasty seafoam green LED's on the gearshifter and the driver's window to amber but that's about it. I think Sidxbicious or Max2k are the ones that might know more about putting and LED in those actual switches. Well hope this helps, and good luck.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:10 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by kgzero
I will look into it once I get my car back in two weeks(its in the body shop right now). I will let you guys know about my findings once I look at it.
Hey kgzero, I don't know if you've changed your LED's yet but I just realized something when looking at the picture I posted. Looking from Left to Right, the second LED should be the Low Gas Warning light and so you shouldn't have to change that unless you want it a different color. Which basically means that our entire Speedo is lit up by only 3 LED's. I haven't looked into it yet, but I'm pretty sure with only 3 LED's, they must be using those clear acrylic light tubes to distribute the light to the entire speedo. Well post up, if you find something.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:13 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team N.V.S.

Is there any way I can get it professionally done? I live in the Sac area.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:56 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i know i want someone to re solder mine lol. i'm not gr8 at soldering i mean i can solder wires but soldering in some lil led's is a whole nother story im in sacto too.
Old 12-19-2004, 04:37 AM
Banned
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
DelMarVa

seems like something that someone should learn to do better to make some extra cash. HINT HINT HINT(add that to your lowering car business)
Old 12-19-2004, 07:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hmmm.... I wonder if this is the beginning invitation to do some side work. heheh. Well I'm only in SJ which is like a 2 hour drive for you guys if you really are interested. I haven't done the speedo yet nor an xA so if you guys are really interested we can discuss details. PM me. :D
Old 12-20-2004, 05:16 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Whats up,

I haven't done them yet, I am planning on taking the cluster apart this weekend to see if I will be able to solder them myself. Plus, I have to get a hold of a solder iron from my friend who I just found out left for a long vacation. Damn!
In other words, I don't know when I will actually start on it.
Old 12-20-2004, 05:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

No problem at all. If possible, post up a how-to on taking the xA cluster apart and also tell me if the sizes of the LED's for the speedo are the same for those of the clock. Much thanks in advance. =)
Old 12-20-2004, 08:11 PM

10 Year Member
5 Year Member
DeepSouth Scions
SL Member

Speedo and clock have differnt size LED's
Old 12-20-2004, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Thanks for the update Ashe_WCM. What are the sizes of the speedo LED's either in dimensions or packaging? Is this the xB or the xA?
Old 12-22-2004, 12:08 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

SL Member
Team N.V.S.

i'm not sure of the size but the speedo ones look smaller. at least narrower. hmm a 2 hour drive is a bit much but hmmm... yeah i guess i should start solder practice. i probably need a better sodering iron/gun and better solder.

Quick Reply: Clock LED Modification