Progress Rear Anti-Sway Bar Install walkthrough

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2006, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by jonnyp
Originally Posted by tanakasan
Bolt size M10 x 1.5 x 30, Progress says 45 ft/lbs.

Just installed mine Saturday, literally fifteen minutes. No need to remove the wheels. Really notice a difference in cornering! A must have for box owners, well worth the time and $$!

BTW, no more extra nuts or washers (Rev. B, 3/29/06) just the flag nuts and 4 washers.
What he said. It took longer to get the car up on the stands than it did to put the bar on. The flag nuts are now welded onto the flag, no drama there.

I left the wheels on, used the inside of one rim to hold the left side of the bar up, while I loosely threaded one bolt into the flag, then finger tightened the bolts on the other side - then back to the right to tighten them all up. I didn't bother with a torque wrench. That's a suspension part, you can't get it too tight with hand tools and you aren't breaking any of those parts.

I'm guessing my 18" wheels gave me a lot more working space. I had NO problems getting my socket on any of the bolts (used a wobble extension part of the time).

FWIW UPS delivered mine with an open box and no mounting hardware. Partshippers and progress were very cool and got the stuff I needed to me inside 3 days.

Now on to the springs.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:50 AM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

is the install the same for the TRD rear anti sway bar? also is the bar just as big?
Old 10-30-2006, 09:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The TRD stuff is way over priced number one and number two it is not as big as the progress bar. Don't buy the TRD junk. You can get better products for way less money. As I found out the hard way.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:14 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^^ Go Progress!
Old 02-28-2007, 04:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good Writeup! Bumping snd Subscribing.
Old 03-02-2007, 08:58 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

if it takes you more than 10 minutesto install this, you need to immediately shoot yourself.

it's just too easy. it took me longer to put mycar on ramps than it did to install the bar.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Is ramps the way to go? I tried to jack the car up today - the body went up but I still couldn't get beneath the car. Where to raise the car????
Old 03-13-2007, 08:11 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Techmom- Never work under a jack. Always put the vehicle on jack stands. Page 200 of the owners' manual shows the jacking points, if not terribly well. Work on level concrete, not asphalt. Crack the lugnuts loose before you start to lift the car, chock the front wheels. Stout blocks of wood can be used as spacers under the jack, to increase the throw, if you want.

Stands are available at any auto parts store- I positioned them just ahead of the rear wheels on the understructure, then let the car down onto them, pull the rear wheels.

You really don't need to get completely under the vehicle using this method, particularly if you have another person to act as assistant, hold up one side of the bar, or if you use some wire or blocks to do the same thing... Work from either side in the wheelwells...

I feel compelled to repeat this- Never work under a jack. Always use stands or ramps if you're going under the vehicle.

It's a lightweight vehicle, but you're still dead if it falls on you...
Old 03-13-2007, 11:30 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I had jackstands and the wheels were chocked. I was trying to do it without removing the wheels so the car body needed to be high enough and thet was the problem. I had a new pneumatic 2 ton jack but the body didn't get high enough for me to feel safe and the area where the bar was to go didn't seem to raise at all. And the wheel never quite made it off the ground.
Either my jack really sucks or there was a better place to lift. I was using the spot just before the rear wheel with the indent made for that purpose.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:29 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Jacking the box is a little strange. My experience at the time was a little like your own- only when I used the scissor jack from under the driver's seat on the jacking point at the rear bumper was I able to get things done. My hydraulic jack didn't have enough travel. The stands went in the detents you mentioned, the wheels came off, and it was all good...

Hope that helps.

Having a large T-bar lug wrench helps, too. The stock lug wrench is really only for emergencies. Another smart buy at the autoparts store would be one of them, or an extensible lug wrench, like the gorilla wrench-

http://www.midwayautosupply.com/show...iliateid=10050

EDIT- It's smart to familiarize yourself with the car's jack & etc., anyway... flats seem to occur at the least opportune moment... usually when it's dark and the owners' manual is back at the house...
Old 03-23-2007, 03:45 PM
ayS
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What is the thickness of the TRD Rear sway bar? anyone have the specs?
Old 03-23-2007, 04:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Fail, INC
SL Member

22mm
Old 03-23-2007, 04:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

The TRD and Progressive are the same diameter
Old 06-05-2007, 03:41 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Has anyone installed this on an xA? Is there a difference worth purchasing?
Old 06-06-2007, 04:51 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

I have it on my 04 xA and really improves the handling (handles almost like my Miata).
Old 06-28-2007, 08:40 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

I installed Progress sway bar on an Echo, it was so much pain to drill hole in such small space, i had to use Craftsman Angel Driller, took me about 6 hours. it does eliminate body rolls in 0-30mph but above 30mph body roll came back but aren't as much as without the rear sway bar.
Old 11-09-2007, 07:32 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

i use ramps, they are plastic, i didn't think they were going to hold, but they did. I feel safer under the plastic ramps than the jacks and jack stands that i have.
Old 03-02-2008, 07:58 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

First off thanks for the write up it helps to see the pics for sure!
I just finished putting one of these on and just like everybody said...simple!
I used ramps which was way easier than jacking up the car and placing jack stands, the newer hardware with both nuts welded on is great! (see pic)
Instead of a box I used a couple of zip-tys to get the bar up against the axle while sorting out the end bolts...so with a 15mm socket, 2 long zip-tys, and a set of ramps it was a done deal in 15 mins! And the difference is great for the cost I can't imagine a better mod...now to get the front end sticking a bit better! I'm thinking some new struts will work fine!

Here is the picture with the new hardware
Old 03-03-2008, 04:38 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Great suggestion with the zip ties... can't wait to finally get one of these on my car.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:48 AM
10 Year Member

5 Year Member
Fail, INC
Club One

SL Member

great upgrade....highly recomended

Quick Reply: Progress Rear Anti-Sway Bar Install walkthrough