Foglight Install (Custom LED)

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 03:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Default Foglight Install (Custom LED)

Since patience is definitely not one of my virtues I had to improvise a bit when it came to getting some foglights to fit on the xD.

Since I primarily use the fogs during daytime when weather calls for some extra identifiers on the car, I did not bother with high-wattage driving lights. Plus I wanted to experiment with high-power LEDs. The ones I found on plasmaled.com only eat about 1W of power, are waterproof and look bright enough to be seen in the daylight.

Here's what came out of it:

Whatcha think?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:00 AM

Default Re: DIY foglights (LED)

Originally Posted by zoltiz
Since patience is definitely not one of my virtues I had to improvise a bit when it came to getting some foglights to fit on the xD.

Since I primarily use the fogs during daytime when weather calls for some extra identifiers on the car, I did not bother with high-wattage driving lights. Plus I wanted to experiment with high-power LEDs. The ones I found on plasmaled.com only eat about 1W of power, are waterproof and look bright enough to be seen in the daylight.

Here's what came out of it:

Whatcha think?

I think it looks good. I dont do well waiting either.
what size are you rims?
Old 11-14-2007, 04:04 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

What did you wire them to for power? I'm going to be working fabbing up a fog light kit when I get back from my vacation next week, so this kind of info would definately give a headstart. They'll be something along the lines of what you see as fog light inserts for the Civic Si's
Old 11-14-2007, 04:16 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

They look pretty sweet man. I admire how great you've been with the mods to the xD. You are one of the very, very few that has taken chances on the xD and executed them very well. Good job.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:26 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Since the LEDs only need about 1W of power I tapped them directly to the parking lights. Had similar setup in the tC, except with normal halogen bulbs, so had to run the power directly from the battery and then a relay to the parking lights. Never felt a need for a separate foglight switch.

Keep me posted on your fabbing progress, let me know if I can help with it. Think about using these LED pods that I got - might save you some time working around heat and power issues with regular halogens.

Wheels are just 18s - balance between looks and ride quality

And thank you guys for the props. Means a lot to me!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:32 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Good work!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:32 AM
5 Year Member

sweet work man, im thinking about doing this on my tC!

i'd like to see more pics of them running during the day/night tho, just to see what you mean by visible

also, could you explain how the wiring would have to be to make a seperate switch and all for the fogs? i might have to PM you about this.

anyway, this is an amazing looking xD, i love it!
Old 11-14-2007, 04:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Yeah for sure, fabbing the inserts is going to be easy, as it's mostly just a little fiberglass work, the hard part is just finding the lights to work around, along with figuring out wiring/switches. Thanks for the help!
Old 11-17-2007, 01:26 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Scikotics
SL Member

Love the mod!

Also available here: http://www.oznium.com/high-intensity-led-spotlight
Old 11-17-2007, 01:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

It looks good but I don't know how well it would work with the fog we get around here. Do you get thick fog there zoltiz? If so does it work well enough or doesn't really make a difference?
Old 11-17-2007, 02:22 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

Originally Posted by ChelsDS
It looks good but I don't know how well it would work with the fog we get around here. Do you get thick fog there zoltiz? If so does it work well enough or doesn't really make a difference?
Nothing as crazy as I've seen in Sonoma, for example, but I really don't think OEM driving lights (aka fog lights) do anything for the fog, unless equipped with yellow lenses like on Lexus.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:09 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Can you post pics of these lighting up the road?

I know theyre not genuine fog lights, Im just curious.
Old 12-14-2007, 12:03 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Which one did you get? I see that you got the 1W but did you need to get anything else for it to work or did each bulb come with all that you needed? Is that the blue or the white? I really like that and would love to do it to my car too! Looks awesome man!

Jamie
Old 12-14-2007, 12:25 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

These are white and they come with everything you need (except mounting hardware - that's the creative part). So you get the pod with LED in it and two wires sticking out
Old 12-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Former Sponsor
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Team ScioNRG

Oh please do "enlighten" me with your creativity skills. :D I lack that department unfortunately...
Old 12-14-2007, 04:39 AM
5 Year Member
SL Member

x2
Old 12-14-2007, 04:49 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Hope it's OK if I jump in - I put in some LEDs almost identical to Zolitz's after seeing this post a little while ago. Same LEDs, in fact, just different wiring and very slightly different mounting. See my thread here for my interpretation. Basically, I drilled out the bumper inserts using a hole saw (I found the 1-1/8" hole saw was pretty close, just a hair under the right diameter), and then cleaned up the hole with a utility knife. Drilled freehand, but at an angle so the light would face more or less forwards. Then I drilled two small holes in the insert to line up with the two mounting holes on the LED housing. I found a 4-40 bolt, 1-1/4" long worked just right. If you look closely at the zoomed in photo of my installed LED, you can just see the bolt heads - but they're small, and I painted them to hide them and protect from rust.
Hope this helps - I don't mean to detract from Zolitz's creativity, and I give him full credit for this idea. But if I can help some other way, let me know.
Andy
Old 12-14-2007, 05:54 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
N.G.S.O.

I used a cut off hotel shampoo bottle to angle the LEDs and regular long screws to secure the LED pods to the bumper plug. Tried to get the bolts deep enough to hold the pod, but not too deep to go through the plug.

So far they've been sitting there pretty good and aiming is decent. Gotta take a pic of the ground at night one day - maybe when I get home from work late.
Old 12-14-2007, 06:19 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

looks good!
Old 01-05-2008, 02:10 PM

Thanks zoltiz, check out: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2008-...QQcmdZViewItem
Do you have Bling lights installed now, because this sure looks like the picture of your car?

Quick Reply: Foglight Install (Custom LED)