Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen Owners Lounge
Second Generation 2008-2015 [AZE151]

Newbie just got back from a test drive (xB2 and xD)

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 08:46 PM
5 Year Member

Default Newbie just got back from a test drive (xB2 and xD)

First of all, thanks to James at Sterling McCall Scion in Houston for the test drives, very nice guy and helpful also.

I've been looking for a daily driver and the 2 new Scions are at the top of my list. I've been trolling SL for a while now, reading up on the cars. My other car is a 2004 Honda S2000 with a few mods, and I know the Scions are built for a completely different purpose, but I also used to have a 2002 Civic EX 5spd, so I do have some experience with slightly "sporty" economy cars. Here's what I thought about them:

Interior
Both are very quiet, fit and finish is good, but the materials could use some work. The cheap plastic steering wheel found on both is terrible. I like the sliding/reclining back seats on the xD, very cool. I have to give the nod to the xB on this one though, the extra space is nice, and the center gauges don't bother me nearly as much as I thought they would. The gauges on the xB are a lot easier to read than on the xD in bright sunlight- the xD gauges are kind of small and hard to read in bright sunlight. A/C is great in both cars, too.

Exterior
Both look pretty cool, but the xD just screams "econobox!" more than the xB does. I'm a big fan of the xB in white, silver and hypnotic teal and if I do end up getting an xB it would have to be one of the 3. I tested a Blackberry one, which was kind of nice, but it's still "purple" to me. Both of them look considerably better (IMHO) than the other subcompacts out there like the Fit, the Yaris and the Versa.

Driving
The automatic xD was simply a slug to drive around. I'm sure it would be much better with a manual, but there weren't any in stock when I went to test them so I couldn't say for sure. The manual xB had a good amount of torque and didn't die off high in the RPM range like the xD did. I have to say that the clutch on the xB is terrible-far worse than my old Civic's. Driving it felt like a chore. I did a few high-speed turns and highway maneuvers in both cars, and I have to say both cars handled those well with very little drama. Driving position is very high on both cars, and I felt like I was in a fish tank while driving the xD. The xB was high also, but I felt that the seating position was better for me.

The Verdict
I think my pick out of the two would be an automatic '08 xB as the one that would fit my needs best. I really like the wagon versatility, the look and the estimated resale value. Hope somebody finds my little review to be useful while they're shopping.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Nice review, s2kninja, thank you.

They vastly improved the automatic transmission with the '08 xB. Part of my now-and-again commute through Portland is a drive up highway 26 where involves a fairly twisty and steep section that starts with a narrow 3-lane tunnel.

In my '06 xB I had to hit the O/D button immediately at the bottom and hope I didn't hit any slow-pokes on the way up. In my '08 it's as if I'm just cruising on a flat surface, even though it downshifting several times for acceleration to get around slow-pokes, hardly felt the transition from 4th to 3rd and back. The extra 53 HP certainly helps, too.

I also took her for a ride on the Collumbia River Highway over the weekend which is was 90% of car commericals used for footage in the 80s and 90s, very steep, twisty, and narrow, and also extremely fun in my '08, though I was a bit unsure of where my front left corner was, so I hogged the road a bit, just to be sure I didn't smack one of the many short walls that take the place of the white line.

I guess I'm used to cheep steering wheels as it doesn't bother me any.

I poked around in an xD before buying my xB and can't say i was all that impressed with it as it seems to just be a 'hackback'ier xA, which means I banged my head on the doorframe all the more.

The '08 xB is definately the ride for me.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:14 PM
5 Year Member

Now to wait until I find out where my next assignment for work is. If I stay at the same location it's a 20-mile drive one way. If they move me downtown, I might be able to take advantage of public transportation and not have to buy a daily driver at all!
Old 09-04-2007, 11:07 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by s2kninja
Now to wait until I find out where my next assignment for work is. If I stay at the same location it's a 20-mile drive one way. If they move me downtown, I might be able to take advantage of public transportation and not have to buy a daily driver at all!
I live across the street from my office.

My box is mainly for the typically monthly drive to Bend to do any work necessary at the branch office there, which is a 370 mile round trip through te central oregon mountains.

It was fun but tiring in my old '06, I imagine it will be just plain fun in the '08