Notices
Scion xA/xB 1st-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Cruise Control field test

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2003, 07:03 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Default Cruise Control field test

hello everyone

just got my Cruise Control installed and wanted to let you know how it works.....

here are pics of the install:

http://homepage.mac.com/yanges/yange...toAlbum15.html

check out my article on scionmag.com:

http://scionmag.com/cruisecontrol.html

i had asked my local Scion service guy to find me a cruise control and he referred me to the place that does a lot of work for their dealership doing stereo, security and other installs for them.....

he said he could do it and the company making the cruise stuff actually made a custom throttle mount for the xB!

had it installed Thursday and took it out for a 110 mile test drive last night up to Palmdale and back....

all i can say is it works Great! set speed and kick back! i have the 5 speed so there is a clutch release switch as well as the brake release and both work well....

i was going uphill and shifted to 4th and it released immediately when clutch was pressed...

you use the set button to 'tap' speed down a mile or so at a tap and the resume button to accelerate up a mile or so at a tap...

the position of the unit mounted on the steering column can be articulated several directions for a comfortable position....

as i had seen posted by someone else who got one the only thing to get used to is it being close to the turn signal....just gotta get used to it being there

but overall, i am very Happy with it and it sure was nice to set it at 75 and just relax on the way to Palmdale and back....

it cost $439 installed and is slightly cheaper for an automatic....it has a 3 year/36,000 mile warranty also.....

if anyone is interested in getting one please PM me and i will send the info.....
Old 10-26-2003, 08:08 PM
5 Year Member
SL Member

Mine is exactly like that. use it everyday...not only is it close to the turn signal...at night, you have to get used to using it by touch rather than it being lit up like a normal factory set-up with controls and all...

FYI to NOR*CAL-Piercy Toyota in San Jose can arrange to have this aftermarket cruise installed. Not many dealers in the Bay Area offer an aftermarket system. Got mine installed for a cool $300.00.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:25 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by xB ey
Mine is exactly like that. use it everyday...not only is it close to the turn signal...at night, you have to get used to using it by touch rather than it being lit up like a normal factory set-up with controls and all...

FYI-NOR*CAL Piercy Toyota in San Jose can arrange to have this aftermarket cruise installed. Not many dealers in the Bay Area offer an aftermarket system. Got mine installed for a cool $300.00.
that's a good price.....

the hardware on mine was $250 plus the tax and labor....

ah well, i am glad i got it, that's for sure
Old 10-27-2003, 12:09 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scinergy
N.G.S.O.

thats a nice setup that u have and for a good price for what u got !!!!
Old 10-27-2003, 12:53 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

maybe scion will take notice as to how many people want this option and add it.
Old 10-27-2003, 01:51 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by ikonXone
maybe scion will take notice as to how many people want this option and add it.
yeah, it would be nice to have it as a factory option or even better, part of the standard equipment package.....

i will look for that in my next Hybrid/turbo-charged AWD xB!
Old 10-27-2003, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member

i had a chance to check out the new version of the xb and it had factory cuise as a option. looked like the corola setup.
Old 10-27-2003, 03:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Re: Cruise Control field test

Originally Posted by yanges
hello everyone

just got my Cruise Control installed and wanted to let you know how it works.....

here are pics of the install:

http://homepage.mac.com/yanges/yange...toAlbum15.html
This is great! Can you tell us the exact model number of the cruise module and control stalk? I think I've seen these on the 'net, but getting the right parts is the tricky part.

I wonder if it would be possible to put the control on the shift lever or the driver's armrest rather than on a stalk? I'm already ODing on control stalks!

George
Old 10-27-2003, 02:29 PM
5 Year Member

I want to add a cruise control on my Xb, too...
but by doing so, does it void the warrenty? :?:
Old 10-27-2003, 05:45 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bartender_angel
Only if they can show that its presence caused the damage. For example, if the engine ran away and threw a rod they might say that the cruise locked the throttle open.

Since the cruise control cannot demand any more from the engine than the driver can it really cannot cause any harm of its own. The dealer would have a hard time attributing most warranty issues to a cruise control.

George
Old 10-27-2003, 07:39 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by bartender_angel
have the dealer get it done for you and then you have no worries. you might pay a little more, but it might be worth it.
Old 10-28-2003, 06:26 PM
tbp
5 Year Member

FYI to NOR*CAL-Piercy Toyota in San Jose can arrange to have this aftermarket cruise installed. Not many dealers in the Bay Area offer an aftermarket system. Got mine installed for a cool $300.00.
I called Piercey Scion today and they quoted me $462 for this installation, perhaps the sudden interest caused the price increase. I'm still waiting for a quote from the folks in San Francisco that my dealer (Melody in San Bruno) recommended, but I can't imagine it will be cheaper in SF....
Old 10-29-2003, 02:34 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by tbp
I called Piercey Scion today and they quoted me $462 for this installation, perhaps the sudden interest caused the price increase. I'm still waiting for a quote from the folks in San Francisco that my dealer (Melody in San Bruno) recommended, but I can't imagine it will be cheaper in SF....
i think i got a good deal for the $439....at least a fair deal.....

it took about 3 hours to install and the parts were about $250.....[including clutch switch]

i sure would not want to put it in myself.....you could screw something up and have a serious problem.....
Old 10-29-2003, 05:05 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

i sure would not want to put it in myself.....you could screw something up and have a serious problem.....
:roll:
It really isn't that hard. I've installed cruise on several different cars and as long as you can read and follow instructions you are likely to have a better outcome than a random "technician."

George
Old 10-30-2003, 01:59 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by George
It really isn't that hard. I've installed cruise on several different cars and as long as you can read and follow instructions you are likely to have a better outcome than a random "technician."

George
i am sure it is if you are comfortable doing it....just not for me....

the place i went to is a first class operation and all of their technicians do good work....my install was overseen by the Owner of the business who looks like he knows his stuff....

i felt comfortable going to them as i was referred by North Hollywood Toyota/Scion who use them onsite for installs....

i will be at the Nov. 9 meeting so you can check it out then.....
Old 11-07-2003, 01:02 AM
tbp
5 Year Member

Originally Posted by tbp
Turns out it was cheaper in SF. I just had my cruise control installed at MTS AUTO, www.mtsautosf.com for under $400 - in fact I had them install a light in the cargo area too and the total was still less than Piercey was going to charge just for cruise.
Old 11-07-2003, 01:43 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by tbp
Originally Posted by tbp
Turns out it was cheaper in SF. I just had my cruise control installed at MTS AUTO, www.mtsautosf.com for under $400 - in fact I had them install a light in the cargo area too and the total was still less than Piercey was going to charge just for cruise.
i wish i thought of that! i should have gotten a cargo light myself....
Old 12-01-2003, 08:11 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Hey you guys who have actually had the cruise installed, quick question:

Did you use vacuum powered or is it all electric? I know sometimes cars with small engines don't have enough vacuum, so they need all electric cruise control systems which can run a little more money.

Basically, I have a customer who is interested in adding cruise control, but he wants to do everything himself, including order the parts, so as a favor I told him I'd ask and see what brands everyone was using, etc. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch.

Drew
Old 12-02-2003, 03:00 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member
Scion Evolution

Originally Posted by DibujoB
Hey you guys who have actually had the cruise installed, quick question:

Did you use vacuum powered or is it all electric? I know sometimes cars with small engines don't have enough vacuum, so they need all electric cruise control systems which can run a little more money.

Basically, I have a customer who is interested in adding cruise control, but he wants to do everything himself, including order the parts, so as a favor I told him I'd ask and see what brands everyone was using, etc. If anyone has any advice, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks a bunch.

Drew
hey Drew

the cruise contol i have installed is electric and works Great!

here is a link to an article on scionmag.com that gives more info and contact info....

http://www.scionmag.com/cruisecontrol.html
Old 12-30-2003, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member

Default S.E.T.

I'm in Miami and my Blue Onyx Box is coming in a little over a month. Seems, however, that the different "ports" are doing different things with options and whatnot. South Eastern Toyota is actually offer (as a factory option) Cruise (350), Enkei rimsets, Eurolites, and other things. Glad mine is coming with Cruise warranteed by Toyota...now if I could just get a "factory" installed power moonroof so as not to destroy my warranty...nahmean?