Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

premium HU no good for sound system

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 09:18 AM
SL Member

Default premium HU no good for sound system

The premium HU does have the preouts... but it has the ASL. If you turn the ASL to OFF, the output voltage is greatly reduced. If you put it on high, the output is what its supposed to be, but as you speed up, the voltage increases even higher. I set the gain properly on the high setting, but as i drive, it(the voltage=gain) automatically increases by itself.

This sucks. I'm going to either have to install line drivers, or change HUs to get the proper output.

Anyone have a solution?
Old 02-05-2008, 01:33 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

wow that sucks, i had no idea.
ivw got the 08 premium HU i was planing on hooking a amp up to it, glad you said somthing.

so realy the best setting is to do off or low?
Old 02-05-2008, 02:24 PM
SL Member

at OFF or low setting, your output will totally suck. I wanted ~35V to my subs, which would have translated to ~600watts. At OFF, I could only get a max of about 12V, which would have been less than 100watts. I didnt try tuning the low setting- but i tried switching it to low, i was STILL missing output.

I thought about using line drivers... Keep the HU set on OFF, but use line drivers to boost the pre-amp voltage.... that MIGHT work. But I think I'm gonna get rid of the HU and go with navi.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:10 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

hmm... I think you need to turn it off and set your gains by ear....

I am using the same head unit with sub output and it works fine, you may just need to turn up your gains, that's what they are designed for.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:55 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

^thats what i was thinking.
12v from a pre amp isnt bad, sure thare is alot better out there, but its not as bad as some others.
i had (about 5 years ago) a (crapy) 800 watt amp driving 2 JBL GT 12 off a HU that only had 4v pre amp out put with no booster and it was getting 134db.

i would set the asl to off and ajust your amp to the correct gain setting.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:45 AM

Personally, i would just buy an aftermarket HU, like an eclipse or somthing if your looking for one with a decent price.

Even the standard HU has the ASL gain on it.. personally it did nothing to my sound system, i have 2 10's in a ported box, and they hit just the same wether im driving 9mph or 90mph heh...

but with the aftermarket HU, you get rid of the ASL, and you have the ability to control your bass volume itself, as well as all your other speakers. Soooooo, splurge a little, sell the premium one you got on ebay.. and call it a day
Old 02-06-2008, 01:21 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

I'm sure the sub (nonfading) have adjustability. I know my kenwood is setup like that.

Make sure you're running a 50Hz test tone with 0db of attentuation. You should be able to set your gains properly with your DMM...
Old 02-06-2008, 03:55 PM
SL Member

I used my DMM, thats where I got the voltage numbers from. Used the right test tones off of ROE. Had an audiophile friend try it as well, same results.

We ended up setting it by ear the first time. I was getting nowhere near the potential output. Maybe my amps gain ***** just do not that range...

I'm running 2 RLI8's ported off an Arc Kar900.1 amp.
Old 02-06-2008, 10:27 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
Utah Scions
SL Member

Mmmmmm... RLI8's... Should've opted for the DD 1508's, but still a good choice none the less. Did you get dual 4's or the single 4's? Which way do you have them wired?

I'd say a line driver would be an option. But in my opinion, just scoop up a higher end Pioneer with bluetooth, time processing, etc. Or, just get a DVD unit!
Old 02-07-2008, 05:17 AM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
AlphaSquad
SL Member

Originally Posted by XBFred
hmm... I think you need to turn it off and set your gains by ear....

I am using the same head unit with sub output and it works fine, you may just need to turn up your gains, that's what they are designed for.
same here tuned everything from the amp, i love the head unit. Every where i go i get compliments about it too.
Old 02-07-2008, 05:25 AM
SL Member

I got the S4 coil configurations, in preparation that I will be adding 2 more.... Wired them down to 2 ohms.

Today I borrowed my friend's 15'' RLP. Needless to say, I will be switching my RLI8's for something bigger.... I'm looking at the Fi Q's, either 12 or 15....