Notices
Scion xB 2nd-Gen ICE & Interior In-car entertainment and electronics...

Has anybody extended their iPod cable?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 02:42 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Default Has anybody extended their iPod cable?

I have an iPhone connected to my iPod jack and it works great. I can listen to music, and it will automatically fade out when a call comes in, plus the ringer rings through the speakers in the car. The only problem is that the ipod cable is too short for me to answer the call without unplugging the phone first. This is a problem because as soon as I disconnect the ipod cable the head unit automatically switches to satellite radio at full volume. I would assume that the ipod cable uses a bundle of small wires inside the black cord that can possibly be spliced into with an additional 12" or so of small gauge wire. Has anybody done this, or am I the lucky one that gets to cut their ipod wire first?
Old 02-22-2008, 08:21 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

it is quite easy to do, if you want to splice tiny tiny wires... they are about the size of phone wire... real small.. it can be done though i haven;t done it personally, bit if i were to do it, i'de solder all connections, and then tape them, then cover the entire thing in heat shrink tubing for a cleaner look.. can't you just get a bluetooth headset to use in conjunction to the ipo cable? i believe that with the bluetooth headset, if you keep the iphone plugged into the jack, it will still fade out as the call comes in, but rather then playing the call through the speaker, it will come through to your ear. the ring should come through the speakers, and the music as well, when you are not on a call..
Old 02-22-2008, 08:23 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member
SL Member

Originally Posted by IH8ONYU
it is quite easy to do, if you want to splice tiny tiny wires... they are about the size of phone wire... real small.. it can be done though i haven;t done it personally, bit if i were to do it, i'de solder all connections, and then tape them, then cover the entire thing in heat shrink tubing for a cleaner look.. can't you just get a bluetooth headset to use in conjunction to the ipo cable? i believe that with the bluetooth headset, if you keep the iphone plugged into the jack, it will still fade out as the call comes in, but rather then playing the call through the speaker, it will come through to your ear. the ring should come through the speakers, and the music as well, when you are not on a call..
I figured that's what it would take, but I wanted to hear from someone else.....thanks!

BTW....is your phone call actually supposed to play through the speakers? My phone fadaes the music and rings through the speakers, but he phone call is on the headset only.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Year Member
5 Year Member

There are a few places online that sell the ends that fit into the iPod itsself, they may sell an extention (Male->Female) cable, or you could make your own, possibly:

http://home.swipnet.se/ridax/connector.htm
http://www.podgizmo.com/

--falz